Trouba trade looks better everyday for the jets

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
The rangers are paying Panarin and Trouba a combined 19.6 million while the Jets are paying Scheifele and Morrissey a combined 12.375 million.
Totally different topic, but yes, the Jets have some GREAT contracts.
However, the Rangers are better because of the Trouba trade and the Jets are currently much worse off.

jetsfan91

May 29, 2013
I love this trade for the Jets. Look Jacob Trouba is a great defenseman, I’ll never deny that. He’s a great number two guy who will be steady on d and give you some offence. But he didn’t want to be here and we were forced to move him now or lose him for nothing. Pionk has been very good. He’s smooth with the puck, and can skate well. A good 3-4 guy. Heinola at 18 is already a top four guy and once he fills out he’ll be a franchise caliber defenseman. This was a great trade for Winnipeg’s future and a good trade for New York who needed a top pairing defnseman.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
EW Contract Projections had him at 8.2m for 8 years. so 8m at 7 is really close. Not sure where you are getting "NOBODY THOUGHT" since most reports had hiim making 7-5.7m so a 500k overage isnt even close to saying "NOBODY TOUGHT"

Trouba is not an 8 million dollar player. Any non-biased person would tell you that, "projections" are also a bad way to try and justify a contract. #1 defensemen are worth that kind of money, a #1 defenseman he is not.

He makes as much as John Carlson, who is significantly better.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Trades aren't zero sum. The Rangers winning the trade ≠ the Jets losing the trade. You have to evaluate the Jets decision to trade Trouba for what they did vs. keeping him for a year and losing him for nothing. The argument that Pionk and the pick used on Heinola, in particular, look better now than that return did 3 months ago is not an unfair one. I think that's particularly true in light of the Byfuglien situation; the Jets may not have been in a position to properly take advantage of that final Trouba year with that hole in the lineup.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
I remember the days when Rangers fans got excited about Pionk after a good stretch of point productivity. If the past is any lesson, Jets fans are in for a surprise. Pionk will never be the reason the Jets win this trade. Anyone who thinks that is foolish and hasn't seen what a liability he is over an 82 game season.

Having said that, Heinola at 20 is a hell of a pick and may very well be a better player than Trouba one day.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
If it appeases the internet, here is a kitten stretching

giphy.gif

Reactions: wraithsonwings

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
Both players were RFA's when signed with the jets vs a UFA in prime years. Holy ****ing eye roll batman. You love flawed arguments.

What does this have to do with the Trade?

Point is the Jets are still the better team, and they will be for at least a few years despite New York’s “great offseason” and the Jets “terrible offseason”.

Last edited by a moderator:

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
The trade was technically Hayes and Pionk for Trouba and Lemieux.

I was glad we got rid of Trouba because I personally believe he's overrated, toxic and didn't want to be in Winnipeg. But I believe there was no better fit for him than the Rangers.

Pionk has been impressive playing top minutes, has shown some chemistry with Morrissey and Heinola.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
My lord people are putting all their eggs in the Ville Heinola basket. Hes played 5 games in the NHL and hes already a franchise dman?

Feel free to get excited though, we acted the same way during Michael Del Zotto's rookie season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad