Trouba trade looks better everyday for the jets

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Oh wow there's no way a GM would overpay an UFA right!?

Hayes is a fine 2nd line center, but he ain't anything more than that. If you want to change my mind you're going to have to use more than what one GM offered him in salary.

You mean, how the Rangers overpaid for money hungry Trouba? Yeah, I guess there are GM’s that aren’t careful with their salary cap.

So, you upgraded Hayes to a “fine second line center” from “average”? Huh. To be factual, Hayes was having a career year and he was impactful in his production with the Jets.

The Jets almost knocked off the eventual Stanley Cup Champs. Nothing wrong with going for it on a talent studded team that would be partially broken up next year.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
asset management is trying to win the cup while your window is open.

the jets were coming to the end of a couple of elc's

they thought hayes might of helped put them over the top.

bad asset management would of been paying him the $50 mil contract

Yeah, some posters have no clue about “going for it” when your window is open. They’d rather stockpile first rounders so these draftees to sit on the third or fourth line and get pissed off because the team is already stacked.

It’s a very small minded outlook.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
As far as analytics go Pionk has been way better defensively this year than Trouba. Trouba has been pretty lucky so far so he looks good but that probably won’t last. He has never been anything special after all. If Pionk can keep his play up I would probably rather have him especially with the contracts being what they are.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
As far as analytics go Pionk has been way better defensively this year than Trouba. Trouba has been pretty lucky so far so he looks good but that probably won’t last. He has never been anything special after all. If Pionk can keep his play up I would probably rather have him especially with the contracts being what they are.

This is hilarious. Lets just throw out everything both players have done in their careers and look at what Trouba has done thru THREE games this year and what Pionk has done through 8....gtfo

Reactions: Jets4Life

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
To be fair it was a good trade for both teams. Trouba clearly didn't want to be there and picking up Pionk and drafting Heinola is a best-case outcome for Jets. New York will get the short-term benefit of Trouba and Winnipeg will get the long-term benefit with some short-term benefit from Pionk/Heinola. Just a solid trade overall with two winning teams.

It absolutely was not a win for winnipeg, you can keep saying it but it doesn't mean it's true. The Jets got hosed.

Belzebob

Apr 10, 2016
It absolutely was not a win for winnipeg, you can keep saying it but it doesn't mean it's true. The Jets got hosed.

oh good

another one who has no idea of what happened with trouba and the jets.

but no worries when trouba starts coughing up the puck in front of the rangers net you will understand.

we got to see lots of that in winnipeg

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I'll never not see this trade as Trouba and Lemieux for Pionk.

Pionk looks more promising than expected but Chevy was bent over on this one. Horrible asset management yet again. Chevy can draft but he is horrible at managing a playoff team/ contender .

If everyone in the league knows Trouba wants to play in NY, what can you do really? Pionk + 1st was the best offer he got and that's it. Sometimes you're put in shitty situations.

It's annoying people think Chevy should've somehow found a way to win this trade. Senators basically got the same return plus a 2nd+Balcers+depth dman DeMelo for EK who had a higher status than Trouba. It is what it is.

Yes it sucked but it's unrealistic to think there was anything else available. You can't change what the market is in these situations.

Could they have kept Trouba for the season and then trade him @ the TDL? Sure, but what if he got injured. Or the team is in a playoff spot, decides to keep him and then loses in the 1st round. End up with nothing.

Could they have traded him couple years ago? Sure, but there were ongoing contract talks, it wasn't a given Trouba couldn't sign with the Jets long-term, especially when the team was on the rise and everyone was excited. Timing doesn't make sense to suddenly give up one of your best dmen, not to the players in the room or the fans.

Belzebob

Apr 10, 2016
If everyone in the league knows Trouba wants to play in NY, what can you do really? Pionk + 1st was the best offer he got and that's it. Sometimes you're put in ****ty situations.

It's annoying people think Chevy should've somehow found a way to win this trade. Senators basically got the same return plus a 2nd+Balcers+depth dman DeMelo for EK who had a higher status than Trouba. It is what it is.

Yes it sucked but it's unrealistic to think there was anything else available. You can't change what the market is in these situations.

Could they have kept Trouba for the season and then trade him @ the TDL? Sure, but what if he got injured. Or the team is in a playoff spot, decides to keep him and then loses in the 1st round. End up with nothing.

Could they have traded him couple years ago? Sure, but there were ongoing contract talks, it wasn't a given Trouba couldn't sign with the Jets long-term, especially when the team was on the rise and everyone was excited. Timing doesn't make sense to suddenly give up one of your best dmen, not to the players in the room or the fans.

pretty much this in a nutshell

good summary

Reactions: snowkiddin

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
I'd like to thank the Jets for Tyler Meyers while we are discussing small sample sizes. He has been lights out for us so far, and is filling the exact role we needed him to fill.

Belzebob

Apr 10, 2016
I'd like to thank the Jets for Tyler Meyers while we are discussing small sample sizes. He has been lights out for us so far, and is filling the exact role we needed him to fill.

I have never said anything bad about Meyers. I am glad he fills a role for you.

the jets did not have the money for him.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
You mean, how the Rangers overpaid for money hungry Trouba? Yeah, I guess there are GM’s that aren’t careful with their salary cap.

So, you upgraded Hayes to a “fine second line center” from “average”? Huh. To be factual, Hayes was having a career year and he was impactful in his production with the Jets.

The Jets almost knocked off the eventual Stanley Cup Champs. Nothing wrong with going for it on a talent studded team that would be partially broken up next year.
Fine and average mean the same thing in this context. Fine = ok, not fine = great like a fine wine.

Our team was not competing for a cup last season, we looked awful for the 2nd half of the season, though we played fairly decent in the series against the Blues for 4 + 2/3 of the games I will admit.

Rangers overpaid a bit, but Trouba is a legitimate top pair defensemen, overpaying a million dollars to lock one up for 7 years won't kill you.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
What would your solution have been? How were the Jets to get better value?

Remember he has one year left on his deal and emphasized his desire to play in certain markets.

The deal wasn't great for the Jets, but if Heinola and Pionk continue to develop it could turn into the best of a bad situation.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
In light of the Byfuglien situation, the Jets would likely have been better off letting Trouba play this season, and letting him walk as an UFA. However, hindsight is everything.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
I don’t know how you came to this conclusion. The Jets D is definitely amongst the worst Ds in the past few years.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Some fans really need to put the brakes on pumping Heinola. Franchise defenseman? Really? After playing a handful of NHL games, you already know that an 18-year old defenseman, who does not have exceptional numbers before being drafted, will be a franchise defenseman? OK then.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
Clears the crease. Can man the point. Wins 1-on-1 battles. Strong on the PK. Cannon of a shot. Throws his body. Good outlet passer.

The only criticism I have is when he takes himself out of a play going for a hit. He did that a few times in pre-season, but he's been a rock for us in the 3 regular season games thus far.

Suggesting Trouba sucks makes you sound bitter.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Thrasymachus

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Clears the crease. Can man the point. Wins 1-on-1 battles. Strong on the PK. Cannon of a shot. Throws his body. Good outlet passer.

The only criticism I have is when he takes himself out of a play going for a hit. He did that a few times in pre-season, but he's been a rock for us in the 3 regular season games thus far.

Suggesting Trouba sucks makes you sound bitter.
I agree though, Trouba does suck. He's not even a hasbeen, he's a neverwas imo.

Reactions: irunthepeg

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Fine and average mean the same thing in this context. Fine = ok, not fine = great like a fine wine.

Our team was not competing for a cup last season, we looked awful for the 2nd half of the season, though we played fairly decent in the series against the Blues for 4 + 2/3 of the games I will admit.

Rangers overpaid a bit, but Trouba is a legitimate top pair defensemen, overpaying a million dollars to lock one up for 7 years won't kill you.

The Jets were absolutely competing for the Cup last year. You can clutch on regular season performance, but the Jets brought their game in the playoffs and almost knocked off the SC Champs.

Overpaying players is just brainless. Not that Trouba was resigning with the Jets, but I am glad he shows restraint and doesn’t waste precious salary cap dollars (Trouba, Meyers, Tanev, Chairot)

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
In light of the Byfuglien situation, the Jets would likely have been better off letting Trouba play this season, and letting him walk as an UFA. However, hindsight is everything.

Obviously, this is a big hole with Buff MIA. We still don’t know his intentions so keeping Trouba would have been excessively risky.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
What would your solution have been? How were the Jets to get better value?

Remember he has one year left on his deal and emphasized his desire to play in certain markets.

The deal wasn't great for the Jets, but if Heinola and Pionk continue to develop it could turn into the best of a bad situation.

Trade him well before they did, or overpay him. Either are better options.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
LOL

Skjei-Trouba is one of the best pairs in the league. The jets are josh Morrissey and a bunch of guys from the rec-centre.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->