Trouba trade looks better everyday for the jets

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
It's usage.

morrijo95
pionkne95

Look at how much more ice time Josh Morrissey gets against first line players compared to Pionk, who see's about average ice time for a defenseman against top line forwards.

Pionk isn't outplaying Trouba. Pionk has racked up more assists because he gets PP1 time, Trouba does not. Pionk has better underlying numbers because he gets a lot easier usage compared to Trouba (and the aforementioned Morrissey).

troubja94

Trouba and Morrissey are consistently deployed against first line players, Pionk is not. Both Trouba and Morrissey's underlying numbers have declined because they went from having better partners (themselves) to much worse ones (Brady Skjei is horrific, not sure about Tucker Poolman don't watch him enough).
Why Quality of Competition doesn’t matter to analytics experts anymore

The impact of QoC is, at best, unclear. And Pionk's D partner is definitely worse than both Skjei and Poolman, though none of them is good.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

Do or Die

Jun 28, 2011
Trouba has been great for the Rangers and is what we were missing for a long time. Not a #1D, a bit awkward with the puck and sometimes questionable decision making, but he is a very good #2D. For a long time we were missing a cannon of a shot on the blue line and while Trouba often misses the net, sometimes he’ll come up with a big goal for us and his shot creates chances. He’s our best defender as well as our most physical, and steps up defensively when he needs to. Trade is a win-win, but I do think Pionk will regress.

Very good description of Trouba. Meanwhile, Pionk has totally exceeded expectations (which were pretty low), here. Pionk moves the puck well, and makes good decisions in all zones - has been our best D-man, a lot of nights.

Reactions: hn777 and Jet

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
any competent RD can really do Pionk's role on the Jets PP, it's mostly secondary assists since it goes to Wheeler and then either Laine/Scheif/Connor. Same thing happened with Trouba last season when he got on the Jets' PP1

Reactions: MNRube

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I like Trouba and I think he's a very solid defensive D, who adds offense through an aggressive attitude and a big shot. He'll be a big, minute-munching top-pairing D for the next several years.

I think the issue with the assessment of the trade "then and now" is that Pionk was highly underrated by many at the time of the trade, including me. He has anchored a 2nd pairing with questionable partners (Sbisa now), and done very well. If you have watched the Jets play much, you'll know that Pionk basically carries Sbisa. He's also been very consistent, and has done a nice job in moving the puck and generating offense.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Trouba has been great for the Rangers. Doesn’t get PP time and gets all the tough assignments, still on pace for about 40 points. He’s a physical defenseman too which is something we’ve been missing for a long time. A bit overpaid but he’s vital for this team. Pionk is completely redundant with our RHD and he was pretty bad for us, glad he’s doing well for Winnipeg, he always had offensive ability. A sweet gig for him, plays on a sweet PP and had pretty much zero competition for that spot

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I like Trouba and I think he's a very solid defensive D, who adds offense through an aggressive attitude and a big shot. He'll be a big, minute-munching top-pairing D for the next several years.

I think the issue with the assessment of the trade "then and now" is that Pionk was highly underrated by many at the time of the trade, including me. He has anchored a 2nd pairing with questionable partners (Sbisa now), and done very well. If you have watched the Jets play much, you'll know that Pionk basically carries Sbisa. He's also been very consistent, and has done a nice job in moving the puck and generating offense.
Where the Jets win is in $ savings and Heinola.

Reactions: Whileee

Uncle Dru

Formerly Kakk Addict
Mar 12, 2012
Key for the Rangers was getting a physical/high-volume shooting Dman. Like others have said, Pionk was redundant and they were not letting ADA go.

Trouba has been able to handle the high DZ/QOC deployment that Pionk could not here.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Trouba has been great for the Rangers. Doesn’t get PP time and gets all the tough assignments, still on pace for about 40 points. He’s a physical defenseman too which is something we’ve been missing for a long time. A bit overpaid but he’s vital for this team. Pionk is completely redundant with our RHD and he was pretty bad for us, glad he’s doing well for Winnipeg, he always had offensive ability. A sweet gig for him, plays on a sweet PP and had pretty much zero competition for that spot
Trouba gets only about 30 seconds less PP ice-time per game than Pionk does (2:09 vs. 2:41 per game).

Reactions: Jet

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
Trouba gets only about 30 seconds less PP ice-time per game than Pionk does (2:09 vs. 2:41 per game).

PP1 time will generate more points than PP2 team on most teams though. Trouba isn't getting much time with Panarin, etc. PP1 is scoring the bulk of the Rangers pp points.

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
You know, I wasn’t gonna say anything but when I saw him the other night I was like “who is that good looking fella?” Now I know.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00