Speculation: Trouba [MOD: his next contract]

Status
Not open for further replies.

broinwhyteridge

Jun 27, 2011
Fire Maurice
The bit that seems unreasonable to me is the (reported) bit about usage.

We all know he's been playing with a granite anchor from the Titanic around his neck, but there's one way for a player to make sure he's played in the kind of situations he wants to be played in; make it impossible for the team to do otherwise through the strength of your performance.

If Trouba is seeking some kind of guarantee I don't see how Chevy or Maurice will let the tail wag the dog like that.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
At one point he said "I don't know the kid (Trouba), I just know the agent (Overhart). He is basing the opinion on that. He also indicated that he believes the rumours, since denied by Overhart about sky high salary demands. Maybe he never heard the denial, in which case he is a little out of touch.

There are many things that can hold it up. There is no urgency yet. It could be a relatively small difference on any part of the contract. Maybe it is about lockout protection as someone posted earlier.

I think the GM / hockey personnel fraternity in the NHL is loaded with vitriol versus Overhardt. Those are the people that Watters probably interacts with, and might have his own personal experiences. I doubt his opinion is entirely objective in this matter.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
No ones sitting. Let's get real here. If he wanted out, Chevy signs him long term, and holds all the cards, can trade him within three years for the best deal.
If he signs bridge, he'll still be here when that's done imo

Just because you don't want it to happen doesnt mean it won't. Its still unlikely, but Overhardt has a history of doing this....Dubinsky, Turris, Johansen etc.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
My take on Watters is he has had bad dealings with Overhardt from the past, and has a massive disdain for how he operates. Watters has been stating the same thing about the Trouba dealings for several months now. His stance was always that Trouba wants to be traded and is operating accordingly.

He might be right, but I believe his stance was predetermined from his history with the man.

My gut feeling is that you are correct. ..... but Watters is knowledgeable. Nothing he said indicated any inside knowledge. It was just his personal opinion based on the same information we all have. Does his opinion carry any real weight? I don't know but I think that if he is correct Chevy should trade Trouba. Not necessarily as quickly as possible but as soon as he can get the right return.

Lorenzo1000

Sep 8, 2003
Winnipeg
Agent is asking for too much on a long term or trying to force a bridge deal. Watters is speculating. I predict Trouba will sign before the World Cup starts. Long term 6 years - $5.4 million AAV.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Agent is asking for too much on a long term or trying to force a bridge deal. Watters is speculating. I predict Trouba will sign before the World Cup starts. Long term 6 years - $5.4 million AAV.

why the **** would an agent opt for a bridge deal? seriously.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
No ones sitting. Let's get real here. If he wanted out, Chevy signs him long term, and holds all the cards, can trade him within three years for the best deal.
If he signs bridge, he'll still be here when that's done imo

Yup this isn't Buff, Ladd, or Fro where its a pending UFA situation. Jacob is at the Hotel California.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
why the **** would an agent opt for a bridge deal? seriously.

Because the $$$ the team is offering on a long term deal are not satisfactory in the agents opinion

Because they feel the player will perform at a much higher level in the near future increasing his value.

Because the team is not willing to offer a long term deal

Because missing a whole year of hockey is not a good thing.

The deadline is near. The staring contest will be over soon.

boanst

May 25, 2013
Do you have an example of Watters putting out garbage?

Maybe not garbage but an opinion that turned out to be wrong.

During the time Kane had shut himself down for the season right after the tracksuit incident, Watters opined that kane wouldnt be moved till the offseason. He was traded only a few days later.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Meh. I'm honestly not super surprised by this. Thought it could be true all along. However...as a fan, I've already dealt with a player that didn't want to play here. Come at me bro.

We can take it.

He'll get traded when he's traded and we'll get a good deal for him...just like we did with Evander Kane.

I'm not too fussed either way.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Maybe not garbage but an opinion that turned out to be wrong.

During the time Kane had shut himself down for the season right after the tracksuit incident, Watters opined that kane wouldnt be moved till the offseason. He was traded only a few days later.

Oh come now, everybody was pretty surprised by the Kane trade. That was pretty much a perfect storm situation and had it not come along it's highly likely watters would have been right.

Anyway, like I said in the first place watters opinion doesn't really mean much here. I just like it because it fits with my own feelings on the subject. Just like I knew Kane didn't like it here for 2 years before the track suit incident, I know Trouba ain't too crazy about us either. :laugh: that doesn't mean he won't sign here again...I just don't think there's any sort of home town discount comin our way!

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I like Watters a fair bit. The guy doesn't really make very many "out there" statements afaic. In this case, he's just guessing based on the evidence which is essentially that this deal doesn't seem like it should be taking so long - I mean there's a fair number of recent signings of "comparables" that seem to have "set the bar" reasonably for Trouba. There doesn't seem to be much to hold things up at this point...unless one side is asking for something unreasonable.

Does Lindholm Want out of Anaheim?

On monday did ceci want out of Ottawa?

Asking for a friend....

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
No one answered your question so I thought I'd start by saying yes Trouba does play LD, but it's only been happening with any regularity starting near the end of last season.

Despite being considered RD3, the Jets employ both he & Myers with about equal even strength & overall TOI.

Trouba averages 22:03 in TOI/GP behind other RD's Byfuglien (25:12) & Myers (22:37). The real difference is:

SH TOI (Trouba 220.22 total) vs. (Myers 155:38 total)
PP TOI (Trouba 104:24 total) vs. (Myers 165.36 total)

Despite Trouba playing less PP time he actually outscores Myers in this role (4 assists vs. 2). It's not like either knock in out of the ballpark & neither actually scored a PP goal all of last season. As a rule the Jets use a 4th forward on the PP with Byfuglien rarely leaving the ice, perhaps explaining these low totals.

If Trouba is arguing about usage I would think it's well beyond the over simplified version of being anchored to Stuart. Trouba is a league leader in SH TOI ranking 18th league wide & leads those in his age class in this regard with his closest in age being a 23 year old Adam Larsson & a 26 year old Drew Doughty.

In essence his role is one that only the most trusted of veteran defenseman between the ages of 28-35 play. His camp easily has a point that he deserves a long term deal.

The Jets certainly see a 22 year old Trouba as part of their future. He's a rare example of a young defenseman perfectly capable of of playing a shutdown role. What's even rarer is that he has untapped offensive potential that will emerge sooner than later.

Indeed. Though you would never know it from the his usage (ie, the ridiculous amount of time he gets anchored to our 10th best D), I`d hope he has been viewed as a critical piece of the puzzle going forward. Can't see how the Jets would ever give up on a guy like that.

Sure he may be meh about staying or going elsewhere, but that won't necessarily dictate how this goes. It may result in a bridge signing though, which will be less than desirable for all parties.

The problem is largely his agent. Chevy has been burnt by this guy once already so he's not giving in quickly this time. A deal will happen, but I won't be terribly surprised if Trouba isn`t signed before TC starts. I think Chevy`s resolve is such on this one & their desire to keep him such, that he`ll play it for as long as possible to ensure he doesn`t get raked over the coals by this guy again.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Indeed. Though you would never know it from the his usage (ie, the ridiculous amount of time he gets anchored to our 10th best D), I`d hope he has been viewed as a critical piece of the puzzle going forward. Can't see how the Jets would ever give up on a guy like that.

Sure he may be meh about staying or going elsewhere, but that won't necessarily dictate how this goes. It may result in a bridge signing though, which will be less than desirable for all parties.

The problem is largely his agent. Chevy has been burnt by this guy once already so he's not giving in quickly this time. A deal will happen, but I won't be terribly surprised if Trouba isn`t signed before TC starts. I think Chevy`s resolve is such on this one & their desire to keep him such, that he`ll play it for as long as possible to ensure he doesn`t get raked over the coals by this guy again.

Which contract did "Overcharge Overhardt" burn Chevy on?

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Pavelec was an Allen Walsh client wasn't he? Is that the error here?

Yes, it was Walsh that fleeced Chevy.

I always chuckled at this quote:

"Let's say Carey Price is at 7 years and $6 million a year. Devan Dubnyk's going to hit $3 million. Tuukka Rask is going to hit $3 million. Cory Schneider is going to hit $3 million. There's a new wave of goalies taking over No. 1 starting jobs in the NHL from the older guard. Between those goalies, statistically and in experience at a No. 1 goalie, Pavs should be slotted under Price," said Walsh.

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/puck...anded-5-19-5-million-deal-213332458--nhl.html

I like Trouba but am glad to see that Chevy is apparantly standing his ground.

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand
Watters

I only really know him from his regular appearances on Ralph's show here but he seems more of a "straight shooter" than a blowhard to me. I mean if his take on the Trouba situation is influenced by his previous dealings with Trouba's agent, that seems like it's not necessarily an invalid thing. He's actually dealt with the guy and knows what he's like - that's more than many people have to go on...

Watters is a long time guy in the pro hockey industry. None of us are so I will take what he says he knows over what anybody here guesses about. Ralphy tends to bring him on to expose things that the rest of the Wpg lapdog media won't. Like he did about the owner meddling too much and leaking contract negotiation details to the Freep. Trouba may at the end of the day sign long term but he will not be here to the end of it.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Watters is a long time guy in the pro hockey industry. None of us are so I will take what he says he knows over what anybody here guesses about. Ralphy tends to bring him on to expose things that the rest of the Wpg lapdog media won't. Like he did about the owner meddling too much and leaking contract negotiation details to the Freep. Trouba may at the end of the day sign long term but he will not be here to the end of it.

Don't believe Watters claimed to know anything. It was presented as his opinion based on his knowledge of Overhart.

Keep Sorokin Me Babe

Hit em with the four like
Jun 18, 2016
Does Lindholm Want out of Anaheim?

On monday did ceci want out of Ottawa?

Asking for a friend....

Wish people would stop bringing up Lindholm not being signed yet, Anaheim unlike Winnipeg is having major cap issues right now, and Lindholm doesn't have a notoriously hardass agent.

Why do you think there are so many reports from the likes of TSN guys deeming that the two sides are far apart on negotiations for months now? Why don't you hear this for Ristolainen or the Calgary star duo? It's not like Winnipeg is some media circus these people are using just to generate hits...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad