Speculation: Trouba [MOD: his next contract]

Status
Not open for further replies.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
I'd be willing to bet Trouba's camp would agree to a bridge pretty quickly. Likely wouldn't end up being a Subban level thing but Trouba definitely would stand to benefit big time.

I would be worried if Trouba was signed to a bridge deal. That would probably burn us

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Is this summer ever gonna end? I keep checking in this thread thinking there may be a deal reached, and all I keep seeing is the same convo! I want sept!

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
I think he'd take the risk there yeah, but that's just my own speculation. I like the odds of it working out for him if he did.

Cue the freak car accident.

I don't think there'll ever be a scenario in which an agent happily takes the bridge deal. EKane didn't even want to be here, yet signed long term. Money rules, unless you're Vincent Lecavalier with career earnings north of $70M. Trouba's career earnings so far are less than a doctor's career earnings. He's not rich yet. Agents will always push for long term, because it means guaranteed income.

OutsideLookingIn

Feb 9, 2010
I'd be willing to bet Trouba's camp would agree to a bridge pretty quickly. Likely wouldn't end up being a Subban level thing but Trouba definitely would stand to benefit big time.

If usage is the issue as some have reported, why would Trouba sign a bridge deal? That just lets the Jets put him on the left side and limit pp time behind Buff for two years.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
If usage is the issue as some have reported, why would Trouba sign a bridge deal? That just lets the Jets put him on the left side and limit pp time behind Buff for two years.

How does getting a long term deal change how the Jets use him?

What are his options if he won't sign a bridge? Hold out? Then what...europe?

It could be argued with a bridge deal he gives the Jets a chance to "show me"

I still think he signs a 2yr deal before the season starts, something like

$2.5M
$3.5M

($3M AAV)

Whileee

May 29, 2010

I tend to agree. I think Trouba would like a hefty long term deal now. Less risk and he can still cash in big with his next contract when he's more likely the anchor of the Jets D.

Say What

Building a Legacy 4/28/96 Never again!!
Jan 18, 2015
I tend to agree. I think Trouba would like a hefty long term deal now. Less risk and he can still cash in big with his next contract when he's more likely the anchor of the Jets D.

Yes, 'there's the rub'. What the Trouba Camp considers hefty, is more than likely unreasonable IMO.

Jacob is worth approximately, an estimated $44.5M (give or take a pinch*); coming in at the maximum 8 year term. An AAV of $5.5625 with movement of numbers (+/-), based around *structure/clauses etc., should've had this deal done weeks ago IMO.

Something like:
Year 1 & 2: $4.75
Year 3 & 4: $5.0
Years 5-8: $6.25

IMO, Jacob Trouba signs before the month is done. Time will tell. :popcorn:

Saidin

Mar 18, 2015
One thing I was thinking if they go 8 years, would they avoid that term so you don't have to resign Schiefs and Trouba at the same time? So go 7 years?

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Personally, I don't see the incentive for Trouba to want to bridge. Depending on some assumptions, I think it's much to large of a risk for very little gain (again, depending on assumptions).

Assuming that

A) there is an offer of say 8 years at 5.75 million on the table. (there could be multiple different years and amounts, I'm just using this for this example).

B) He could take a bridge like Ceci (2.5 and then 3.5) and then a larger 6 year deal (using 6 years to match the term in A). I'm going to also assume in this example that he does improve, but I'm not going to give him multiple Norris money. But still very good money. His next 2 RFA years lets say 6.5, and then 2 years at 7, and then 2 at 7.5.
So the 8 years in option 2 are: 2.5, 3.5, 6.5,6.5,7,7,7.5,7.5.
I think that's fairly realistic. Sure he could maybe get a little more if he is even better than I am expecting, or maybe more if the cap explodes. But there is also the risk that he doesn't warrant the big next deal, or even worse, gets a major injury.

Looking at the Present Value (using 4%) of the cash flows of the two options (I make no claims of expertise as I have not done these calcs for some time ;) ), it looks to me like the following:

A) 38.6M
B) 39.3M

I could be wrong, and someone should check that, but to me, the risk reward is nowhere close to me for the player to want to bridge. Even if he went 2.5, 3.5, 7.5, 7.5, 8, 8, 8.5, 8.5, the PV for that is around 44. I don't know about others, but while 6 million is a tonne of money, it's nowhere near enough for me to turn down a guaranteed PV of 38.6, and then take a huge amount of risk for 6 million more.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
At this point it's a stare down contest between Chevy and Overhardt. Who blinks first?

Also: They could agree on AAV but be far apart on lockout protection. The Jets have only been willing to offer slight protection so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad