Speculation: Trouba [MOD: his next contract]

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Why do you think there are so many reports from the likes of TSN guys deeming that the two sides are far apart on negotiations for months now? Why don't you hear this for Ristolainen or the Calgary star duo? It's not like Winnipeg is some media circus these people are using just to generate hits...

They have never used the term 'far apart' in detailing where negotiations were concerned, only that they were apart. The 'far apart' part is filled in by people who want to create narratives. It's funny that Gaudreau, Ristolainen, Girgensons, and the other RFAs don't generate the heat that Trouba does.

Also, don't give me that 'the Ducks are in a cap crunch' garbage as to why Lindholm isn't signed yet, like that's a better excuse than what Chevy is doing. Chevy is playing to ensure that it doesn't happen to his club while vets age out and youth demand raises. If Lindholm's agent isn't a notorious hardass, then why is he still unsigned? Surely the two sides could work out a deal that fits into the cap structure.

Keep Sorokin Me Babe

Hit em with the four like
Jun 18, 2016
They have never used the term 'far apart' in detailing where negotiations were concerned, only that they were apart. The 'far apart' part is filled in by people who want to create narratives. It's funny that Gaudreau, Ristolainen, Girgensons, and the other RFAs don't generate the heat that Trouba does.
No it's not just funny, that's my point. Don't get into the "Media hates my team the most" fan mindset, there's obviously a reason we're hearing this about Trouba and not guys from other teams. Also, literally this month it was reported by Lawless that the two sides are far apart, although "apart" and "far apart" is just semantics in this case so I'm not gonna bother arguing that

Also, don't give me that 'the Ducks are in a cap crunch' garbage as to why Lindholm isn't signed yet, like that's a better excuse than what Chevy is doing. Chevy is playing to ensure that it doesn't happen to his club while vets age out and youth demand raises. If Lindholm's agent isn't a notorious hardass, then why is he still unsigned? Surely the two sides could work out a deal that fits into the cap structure.

Idk what you want to hear here... Anaheim literally can't fit Lindholm right now and still stay under the cap. They have bodies to move first in order to make room and that'll take time, GM Bob Murray already said in June that he anticipates Lindholm not being signed until "well into August and September".

tl;dr: Lindholm and Trouba are in two different situations and people should not point to Hampus being unsigned still when discussing Trouba's negotiations.

Last edited:

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
And it's that type of reason why I shake my head at people who constantly fan the flames of trade talk just because Chevy hasn't signed Jacob Trouba yet. Chevy does not want his club to be in a situation where they have to shed some real quality talent to become cap compliant. Sounds to me like if Bob Murray wants to become compliant so he can sign Lindholm to a contract, he's going to have to make some concessions as to what comes back his way. Maybe he shouldn't have given that money and term to Bieksa and Kesler. Maybe Murray will have to trade Fowler for depth and picks. Either way, his situation is not immutable, and are closer in comparison than you paint.

meedle

May 17, 2011
Winnipeg
My point of a trade, is I would rather do it now before we are getting going and trying to run at the cup and have to trade Trouba 3-4 years from now. The mantra was always from day 1, we want players that want to play in Winnipeg. Between Overhardt and his track record and some of the noise that Trouba wants a trade, I think it will happen, just a matter of when. Where there is smoke, there is fire and this isn't the first time we have heard he wanted out.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
My point of a trade, is I would rather do it now before we are getting going and trying to run at the cup and have to trade Trouba 3-4 years from now. The mantra was always from day 1, we want players that want to play in Winnipeg. Between Overhardt and his track record and some of the noise that Trouba wants a trade, I think it will happen, just a matter of when. Where there is smoke, there is fire and this isn't the first time we have heard he wanted out.

What noise though? Neither Trouba's side nor Chevy have released any real information pertaining to the trade talks. Being apart isn't a surprise when he's still unsigned. Nobody has a clue what's going on in those talks right now and it's all speculation based off of Overhardt's reputation as an "extortionist" as Don Maloney I believe once said. The only smoke is caused by bored hockey fans speculating over the summer. There's zero reason to believe he wants out until it's mentioned by one camp or the other.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
"Where there is smoke, there's fire" is such an often overused statement. Sometimes the smoke is nothing more than rampant speculation.

I still expect to see him signed for at least 6 yrs.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Does Lindholm Want out of Anaheim?

On monday did ceci want out of Ottawa?

Asking for a friend....

No idea. Don't care about other teams. All I know is my spidey sense is tingling with Trouba. And my spidey sense has Been right before...

DUN DUN DUN

:naughty:

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax

For this post, lets just assume Trouba does want out and signs a bridge deal. A lot can happen in 2-4 years. With the way this team is going, we could very well be a desirable hockey market that players will want to play for. Maybe he changes his mind in that time. :)

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
I don't know why you guys are fretting. Even if he asked for trade he will be here at least 3 or 4 years yet :laugh:

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I made this prediction a while ago. I still think it's most likely.

Trouba signs 2 yr bridge deal
After bridge expires Trouba will file for arbitration.
Trouba will sign a long term deal shortly before his arbitration hearing. This deal will include a NTC/NMC
The Jets will trade Trouba sometime before his NTC/NMC comes into effect (before July 1 2020) likely at the draft. This will void his NTC/NMC

:popcorn:

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
"Where there is smoke, there's fire" is such an often overused statement. Sometimes the smoke is nothing more than rampant speculation.

In terms of actual smoke, I agree, however I feel like sometimes when these vile rumours start they seem to force themselves into truth, if that makes sense. It seems like now that there's all this "Trouba's camp doesn't want to be here" it will eventually lead to a trade anyways.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road

I agree, in fact I would be more apt to subscribe to this expression "Where there is smoke, someone's probably doing weed"

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
I made this prediction a while ago. I still think it's most likely.

Trouba signs 2 yr bridge deal
After bridge expires Trouba will file for arbitration.
Trouba will sign a long term deal shortly before his arbitration hearing. This deal will include a NTC/NMC
The Jets will trade Trouba sometime before his NTC/NMC comes into effect (before July 1 2020) likely at the draft. This will void his NTC/NMC

:popcorn:

That's my fear. Except in my scenario the hearing will take place.

I agree, in fact I would be more apt to subscribe to this expression "Where there is smoke, someone's probably doing weed"

I'll be stealing this expression for future use.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
In terms of actual smoke, I agree, however I feel like sometimes when these vile rumours start they seem to force themselves into truth, if that makes sense. It seems like now that there's all this "Trouba's camp doesn't want to be here" it will eventually lead to a trade anyways.

Agree. Kind of the same with the whole Kane drama. Many believed it, many defended it/him. This has that same vibe to me in that i'm not entirely sold the player wants to be here (Though I have long said my hunch is Trouba wants a bigger role, he wants to be 'the guy'). All of this Trouba noise could very well be nothing and we see Trouba re-sign long-term. With that being said, Kane re-signed long-term and he apparently asked out each off-season. Doesn't mean he wants to be here.

Seems odd to me all the "smoke". It'd be nice if negotiations with these younger guys we drafted went as smooth as Scheifele's. But, they don't all go that way. All this Trouba noise could very well be nothing as well. He could re-sign and spend the next 10 years or his entire career in Winnipeg.

At the end of the day, at this point, I won't be surprised to see Trouba re-signed, but I also won't be surprised if he's not here long-term.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
No it's not just funny, that's my point. Don't get into the "Media hates my team the most" fan mindset, there's obviously a reason we're hearing this about Trouba and not guys from other teams. Also, literally this month it was reported by Lawless that the two sides are far apart, although "apart" and "far apart" is just semantics in this case so I'm not gonna bother arguing that
Clearly Lawless doesn’t think it’s a semantics issue, as he’s gone out of his way at least 4 times that I’ve heard to make the distinction between apart and far apart and that the 2 sides are not far apart.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
I certainly hope its resolved before training camp, because it seems to me that players who miss training camp take a long time (as in months) to catch up to the rest of the team.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I certainly hope its resolved before training camp, because it seems to me that players who miss training camp take a long time (as in months) to catch up to the rest of the team.

He has confirmed he will play for team NA regardless.

Saidin

Mar 18, 2015
Until Trouba is the last RFA to be signed in the NHL, I'm not worrying. I don't see Ana/TBL/Buf freaking out about their RFA's and having trade proposals popping up every 5 minutes...

koth

Feb 5, 2013
Winnipeg
Rick Ralph said during the Watters interview that it came out that Bogosian wanted out of Winnipeg. When did that come out? I don't remember hearing anything about that.

Unholy goalie

Jul 11, 2011
Does anyone think there is even a remote possibility that Trouba sits out a year?

He's definitely going to sit out of training camp. This is Overhardt's signature move. I wouldn't be surprised if he sat out some regular season games as well.

My guess is that the Trouba camp want the Jets to feel what it is like without Trouba in the lineup. A risky move, but it's the only leverage they have in this situation. I hope Chevy stands pat.

This deal isn't getting done until after September at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad