Speculation: Trouba [MOD: his next contract]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead Thing Fan

Jan 25, 2016
Read on one of the boards that Trouba was (supposedly) looking for an 8yr. deal @$7,000,000/yr. Is this correct?? Will the Jets be able to afford that??? They already have almost $19 million on the books to Enstrom, Myers and Buff. What is he worth and will this be a hard negotiation??

Thx.

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
It was denied by his agent and the same report was way off the mark for what Byfuglien actually signed for so there's little reason to believe it's legitimate, especially given the kind of contracts his cohorts have signed.

He shouldn't make much more than Rielly, if any at all.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Read on one of the boards that Trouba was (supposedly) looking for an 8yr. deal @$7,000,000/yr. Is this correct?? Will the Jets be able to afford that??? They already have almost $19 million on the books to Enstrom, Myers and Buff. What is he worth and will this be a hard negotiation??

Thx.

The same report had Buff asking for 8 years, 56 million. He ended up signing for 5 for $37.5M. And he was UFA, not RFA.

Right around what Rielly signed for in AAV with an extra year tacked on is what most Jets fans are expecting. Either that or a bridge deal around $3.5-4M each season

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
The Jets are lucky that a few defenseman of Trouba's skillset and age have resigned lately. Lots of comparables that allow them to make a pretty decent argument for what he should be making.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

Thx.

I'm sure he's aware he's not getting a deal like that. There was so much wrong with that Tim Campbell article, i have fully discounted it.

Saintb

May 5, 2016
Saintb
I would love to know what the Jets feel the ceiling is for Trouba. Personally I think Trouba looked less comfortable switching sides. He sure had problems containing the puck inside the offensive blue line. Noticed that many times this year. Maybe he will get the knack of it over time..

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Even if the ask is true--others have done an adequate job disputing it, especially in conjunction with his Overhardt's outright denial--then I merely see it as him asking for a bridge. No biggie.

5 years at 4.5M AVG

One measly UFA year? Yikes.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
You can't believe everything you read on the Internet.
I could say I know someone and Trouba is willing to sign 3 years for 15 million ... does that make it true?
Book it Dano ... Trouba will be a Jet.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
You can't believe everything you read on the Internet.
I could say I know someone and Trouba is willing to sign 3 years for 15 million ... does that make it true?
Book it Dano ... Trouba will be a Jet.

Will he be bridged or long term ?
I say bridged and then gone.

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand
Buff ended up signing for less years but more money. The National sports media seemed convinced that Freep story was true and the only possible source being Jet management. The guys on Sportsnet Hockey Ctr @ Noon called the leak shamefull and felt sorry for Chevy having these kinds of people to have to work for. If I was Trouba I would highball my ask as a way of saying just because the team stunted my development by playing me with Stu then on my wrong side I want what a properly developed player of my skill would be worth. This is bridge all the way because it would stailmate otherwise. Better to trade him to the island for our local guy.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
The Subban bridge deal. 5.75 mil for 2 years.

Yuck. No thanks. That raises his QO and gives him arbitration rights. If he's going to bridge, it has to be for much less than that. I don't think you'll get anybody to agree with you on Trouba's value being as much as Subban's.

McDLT

I'm a style boy for life
Mar 1, 2016
Calgary
Yuck. No thanks. That raises his QO and gives him arbitration rights. If he's going to bridge, it has to be for much less than that. I don't think you'll get anybody to agree with you on Trouba's value being as much as Subban's.

I thought that whether or not a player had arbitration rights was only determined by age and years of professional experience. Is 2.875 AAV over some sort of threshold that I don't know about?

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

The Subban bridge deal was 2 x $2.875M or something. He'd been asking for a longer term deal like 5 x $5.25M I think?

After the bridge he got an 8 year x $9M deal...well played, Montreal! :sarcasm:

Mooche

Feb 21, 2013
Winnipeg
Really getting the vibe that if he doesn't open up to a bridge then Trouba might be on the block.

Hard to say either way, but just getting that feeling the way things are moving here.

It's going to be one helluva interesting summer for the Jets.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Really getting the vibe that if he doesn't open up to a bridge then Trouba might be on the block.

Hard to say either way, but just getting that feeling the way things are moving here.

Ok, what am I missing here?

Vibe? What vibe? Some internet schlep says Trouba wants a bazillion dollars, the MSM prints it and it's suddenly truth? C'mon, Trouba's agent got out word pretty quickly that wasn't the ask from their camp. And even if it was, it is a starting point - I don't take Autopac's first offer or pay what a car dealer is asking either, nor will Chevy just hand over partial ownership of the franchise.

The way things are moving? Were you around for the angst with Little/Wheeler/Bogosian? Chevy took his sweet time getting those deals done too. Kane? Buff? Breathe folks, breathe.

Do I think Trouba is frustrated in Winnipeg? Yes, I do, largely because he has been anchored to Stu for most of his career. He's also seeing minimal PP time. This is a very good hockey player who isn't getting all that much time to actually improve because he's spending all his time covering up Stu's repeated errors. Does he want to do that for a couple more years? Doubtful as it will impact his bottom line pay. Imagine if his improvement was linear relative to his first year, or comparable to what Scheifele has shown. But it's not and it will cost him money. So good for him, that frustration is genuine and legitimate. But I haven't really seen any outward indications of it other than random gut feelings and speculation of those of us armchair GMs that really have next to zero information.

I think it's in Trouba's best interest to consider a bridge but I'd directly ask Chevy/Maurice if the intent is to saddle him with Stuart for the duration of the contract. If it is the case, then I'd be disgruntled too. If not and something can be assured, then I'd play my ass off a la Subban to make the Jets pay for my UFA years. Otherwise I think he'd be looking at ballpark term and $$ comparable to Reilly - good money for the player and good term for the team, nothing great for either.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Buff ended up signing for less years but more money. The National sports media seemed convinced that Freep story was true and the only possible source being Jet management. The guys on Sportsnet Hockey Ctr @ Noon called the leak shamefull and felt sorry for Chevy having these kinds of people to have to work for. If I was Trouba I would highball my ask as a way of saying just because the team stunted my development by playing me with Stu then on my wrong side I want what a properly developed player of my skill would be worth. This is bridge all the way because it would stailmate otherwise. Better to trade him to the island for our local guy.

Campbell said his source was not the team.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015

I agree with this.
If we don't move him , I can't see him doing anything other than a bridge then moving on, nothing to base this on I just can't see us offering a long term contract nor him accepting one .

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
The Subban bridge deal was 2 x $2.875M or something. He'd been asking for a longer term deal like 5 x $5.25M I think?

After the bridge he got an 8 year x $9M deal...well played, Montreal! :sarcasm:

When he laid those numbers out, I had forgotten what Subban's bridge deal was and immediately thought of RyJo's 3 year bridge that CBJ gave him. That was the reason for my discontent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln