Confirmed with Link: Treliving needs to go. (Edit: He Gone, Post #78)

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
ugh man did Al Coates SUCK at drafting.
Daniel Tkaczuk 2007 6th OA
Rico Fata 2008 6th OA
Oleg Saprykin 2009 11 OA
To be fair, Tkaczuk was looking like a great pick until the concussion.

The other two were mediocre draft years at best, even though I still remember watching the 98 draft and seeing "questionable hockey sense" mentioned in Fata's scouting report. Prescient.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
To be fair, Tkaczuk was looking like a great pick until the concussion.

The other two were mediocre draft years at best, even though I still remember watching the 98 draft and seeing "questionable hockey sense" mentioned in Fata's scouting report. Prescient.
i thought so to until I saw how Ottawa drafted those years after us:
Marian Hossa at 12 in 97
Mike Fisher in 98
Martin Havlet in 99

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I’ll take missing the playoffs multiple years if it leads to some deep runs later on down the road over getting bounced in the first round every season
As if that's a formula that works 100% of the time.
Round 2 exit last year.

Last edited:

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Understandable. This year was arguably the most frustrating in Flames history. We are probably gonna look back at this season in Flames history as being arguably the most dysfunctional

Because @Unlimited Chequing is amazing...

giphy.gif

We'd rather be +/- 5 points different rather than where we ultimately ended up this season.

Reactions: Unlimited Chequing

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
If you want to "stand up to Sutter"? Then you better bring a pedigree. "Sutter" took this team to a Stanley Cup Final (and won it - in some minds) and then later took 2 other teams to the finals again, and won. No one on this forum, (well probably on this forum), will ever herald any of those teams as simply being the best teams in the league - in fact, far from it. Which available GM has this success? Which active GM with another team has this success?

Sure. He got them there coaching them though. Not managing. So just coach, and leave the managing to someone else.

Look, you've got 2 more years of Sutter, get a GM that shares his vision of what a playoff contender looks like and try to retool this team, as little as possible, into getting 2 more playoff runs out of it. After 2 years, go get your AI, go get your Zito, your Soup of the day, whoever you want.

It's about the balance of power. A lot of moves the team has made since Darryl was hired again really smell like Darryl is GM now moves. That's dysfunction and although it's not the whole problem, definitely contributed to worsening it. My money would be on that's why Treliving didn't want to come back, and honestly hard to blame him for that.

I'm not saying he shouldn't get input, I'm sure plenty of coaches do. But the GM is supposed to be higher in the hierarchy, he does roster construction, he does the trades/signings, he does the drafting with his scouting team, ultimately he decides what the team is supposed to look like. That's the way it should work, and Darryl's ego needs to be willing to collaborate.

pucksfeedthewolf

Apr 12, 2023
One of my favourite movie scenes is in Moneyball when Beane goes out and trades all the coaches favourite players - reminds me a lot of what should happen here. If Darryl sticks around give him no other option but to play some kids. No Ritchie, no Lewis, no Lucic, no Stone, no veteran PTO’s or 1 x $1M contracts.

Either he injects youth or he quits because he can’t get his way - win/win if you ask me.

Hire a GM that will stand up and pushback. Though that’s probably wishful thinking and Sutter will have is wrinkly finger prints on the off-season.

Reactions: redfire11

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
One of my favourite movie scenes is in Moneyball when Beane goes out and trades all the coaches favourite players - reminds me a lot of what should happen here. If Darryl sticks around give him no other option but to play some kids. No Ritchie, no Lewis, no Lucic, no Stone, no veteran PTO’s or 1 x $1M contracts.

Either he injects youth or he quits because he can’t get his way - win/win if you ask me.

Hire a GM that will stand up and pushback. Though that’s probably wishful thinking and Sutter will have is wrinkly finger prints on the off-season.

What? No. Moneyball would be like designing a new stat called completed passes without inscription and goals against our simmering and trading for players like that. You don't just ship off players aimlessly. You say huberdeau is Pena and trade home for league minimum guys with glue on their stick.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Sure. He got them there coaching them though. Not managing. So just coach, and leave the managing to someone else.

It's about the balance of power. A lot of moves the team has made since Darryl was hired again really smell like Darryl is GM now moves. That's dysfunction and although it's not the whole problem, definitely contributed to worsening it. My money would be on that's why Treliving didn't want to come back, and honestly hard to blame him for that.

I'm not saying he shouldn't get input, I'm sure plenty of coaches do. But the GM is supposed to be higher in the hierarchy, he does roster construction, he does the trades/signings, he does the drafting with his scouting team, ultimately he decides what the team is supposed to look like. That's the way it should work, and Darryl's ego needs to be willing to collaborate.
You see it around the league though. Off the top of my head when Vegas traded a 1st, 2nd, 3rd for Tatar and then Gallant wouldn't play him. Of course, Gallant's an old school coach too, but he really has been good for a long time, and is coaching a loaded roster now in NY. I think I'm in the minority, but I truly believe, apart from Darryl always liking his hardhats, he's never coached rosters that were built to be finesse. He may have some input in that but he's always been brought into teams that weren't loaded with scoring talent. If you told him he's getting Gretzky, he'd be happy. That's where the myth of his crushing creativity comes from, despite his only coaching strategy being to yell at players to skate and hit.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Are you saying this based on the habit of garden variety "exile to Siberia" stuff? Or are you legit wishing that much ill will on the man?
I don't despise the man but I really hated his execution of his vision for the team.

The way Bennett was handled in his time here was a big contributor to the downfall of this core. Even Kylington's development was catastrophic and it's a miracle he panned out for us.

Then there's baffling decisions like the Bill Peters hire. Fans are so touchy about ownership and Darryl Sutter right now (for good reason) but we forget that Treliving didn't even conduct an interview process and hired a below average coach who turned into one of the biggest disasters in team history which was parlayed into Geoff Ward running out the clock on Gio/Brodie's time here.

There are some shit aspects of being the GM of the Calgary Flames but Treliving was responsible for a lot of his own problems, which were frankly avoidable if he wasn't so stubborn and poor in his evaluation of the player talent and coaches at his disposal

Reactions: Fig

ChrisOsullivan

Jan 20, 2022

My money would be on that's why Treliving didn't want to come back, and honestly hard to blame him for that.

I'm with you on the GM pushing the direction of the team and that is the way it goes, and should go, in a vacuum. I was a big fan of Brad, but the whole reason Sutter is back is Tre's results were lacking. I'm sure ownership thought of Brad as a "good" GM and unlucky with coaches and so they went to the guy whos been the best coach in franchise history. Sometimes things don't work out as to me, they are polar opposites.

Doug Maclean made a good point on Toronna radio yesterday, saying how he loves the Sutter family and Daryl, and had members of the family as part of his time coaching in the NHL. But Sutter really rubbed guys like Pelletier and others the wrong way and it was surely something Treliving wasn't pleased with.

What can the Flames learn from all of this? I guess when Treliving realized that Ward wasn't working, it should have been a clean slate GM + Coach and that's on ownership to realize first and foremost. Putting a guy like Sutter behind the bench, does make Brad a lame duck GM and leads to him vacating the position down the road anyway.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
He was here 9 years and the result is a bubble team that's one of the oldest in the league, repeatedly loses assets for nothing and is capped out.

Treliving isn't an awful GM but I don't really get why people think we can't do better.
nailed it

We had some awful GMs so Tre looked good in comparision, but he cannot hold a candle to an elite GM

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Iggy's a bum first of all. Second, no thanks.
Anyways love you iggy.

I wasn't a fan of Iggy"s play over his last contract. Iggy from 99 to 2008 or so was all-star/Hart calibre for most of it. His last contract looked like him scoring 30 and going through the motions. Can't say much else otherwise. Don't think he was a cancer or anything. But he didn't help us win after our 2004 run.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Traded Bennett and kept Monohan for expansion; then traded Monohan with our 2025 1st with all our top guys going UFA before 24-25 season and didn’t protect that pick at #2; signed Kadri to 7 years, Tkachuk superstar traded for what looks like a mixed review bag of stuff. Ran the team into the ground.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Traded Bennett and kept Monohan for expansion; then traded Monohan with our 2025 1st with all our top guys going UFA before 24-25 season and didn’t protect that pick at #2; signed Kadri to 7 years, Tkachuk superstar traded for what looks like a mixed review bag of stuff. Ran the team into the ground.

Came back from a strong playoff, Sam Bennett was told there was no room for him at center. Not even on the 4th line. We need to make room for Derek Ryan.

Seriously there are people that still think Treliving was a big loss

Reactions: OvermanKingGainer

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Came back from a strong playoff, Sam Bennett was told there was no room for him at center. Not even on the 4th line. We need to make room for Derek Ryan.
Brad Treliving drafted Bennett. Murray Edwards put him on the 4th line

Reactions: DFF

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA