Confirmed with Link: Treliving needs to go. (Edit: He Gone, Post #78)

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Bishop vetoed x 2 was another. Bishop refused Calgary offers in FA due to having his chain jerked around by Calgary ownership so he signed in Dallas. Kadri wasn't ownership. Zucker was though.

That's the ones that had enough had come out rumor wise.

We know salary retention is not a thing. We don't know what else happened behind closed doors.

If there was a rebuild proposal and a retool proposal by treliving after Tkachuk, ownership chose to put more into a money pit vehicle vs buying a new car. That's not on him. The fact he had a rebuild proposal means something.

Treliving resigning might mean he's fed up with the handcuffs that create mediocrity. I think Treliving did good things that prevented bottoming out at times for a better draft pick. He had occasional gaffes. That's why he's a mediocre gm in some of yall eyes vs pure crap like some of the other gm hitting those high picks and little else.

I think Treliving without handcuffs might look a little like what Dorion has done without Melnyk influence. But time will tell.

EDIT: Yo, if @HighLifeMan is correct and Treliving constructed both a rebuild package and a win now package for Tkachuk... this is TWO in a row where ownership chose to win now vs a chance for a generational talent. The last time was literally 2014-15 for CMD and now 2022-2023 for Bedard. We were favourites in 2015 on paper. We got to second round because playoff mandate. We were in shambles in 2022, ownership chose win now a second time.

The foundation Treliving's inherited was awful. His talent brought the team from being a absolute trash team to being elevated to a mediocre one. If he had not been denied both 2015 and 2023 drafts to attempt to rebuild the foundation, I bet he's still here for next year and our roster is better or we have better outlook for next season.
they didn't do anything to piss away a chance for CMD except for icing the luckiest 3rd period and OT team in history. 9 times out of 10 that roster finishes last.
They did not fortify the roster at the deadline and in fact traded Baertchi and GLenncross at the deadline. However because that team was luckier than anything I have seen it did convince them that they could move from rebuild to compete causing the trade of a 1st and 2 2nds for Hamilton at the draft

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Brad Trevling is gone but the wheel of mediocrity will continue.
it is kind of terrifying knowing that Sutter and Maloney will be in charge of building the roster and you just know that Toffoli is going to get extended at 7*7 on JUly 1st when he should be sold off at the draft.

Reactions: viper0220

23Monahan

Jul 2, 2018
With how bad of a gm brad was, and how much of a turd sandwich he left on the way out, I thinks its really funny that it was him who decided to leave because the franchise is so pathetic. The year after he couldnt sign our two best players due to them also leaving beacuse the franchise is dogshit. Can't really blame them. Who the f*** wants to play in calagry for Sutter in the worst arena in the league for a non playoff team?

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
it is kind of terrifying knowing that Sutter and Maloney will be in charge of building the roster and you just know that Toffoli is going to get extended at 7*7 on JUly 1st when he should be sold off at the draft.
I've seen you say this about Maloney a couple of times. i just want to point out, Maloney is not and will not be the gm.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
I've seen you say this about Maloney a couple of times. i just want to point out, Maloney is not and will not be the gm.
Maloney is and will be the GM until such a time as he as POH and the Flames hire a new permanent GM to replace the interim GM. He was announced as the POH and interim GM

Reactions: 23Monahan

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Maloney is and will be the GM until such a time as he as POH and the Flames hire a new permanent GM to replace the interim GM. He was announced as the POH and interim GM
He doesn't want to be the gm, and they will be hiring someone for that job. He's not going to drag this out long enough for himself to be building the roster.

Reactions: ChrisOsullivan

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
He doesn't want to be the gm, and they will be hiring someone for that job. He's not going to drag this out long enough for himself to be building the roster.
He may not want to be GM but he is right now but as POH he is going to play a key role in building this roster. It is him that is going to have to sell ownership on the fact that if there is resistance to extending by any of the group of 7 pending UFA's they need to trade them BEFORE the season starts especially Lindholm or be willing to trade them in season regardless of how the team is doing.

Reactions: 23Monahan

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
He may not want to be GM but he is right now but as POH he is going to play a key role in building this roster. It is him that is going to have to sell ownership on the fact that if there is resistance to extending by any of the group of 7 pending UFA's they need to trade them BEFORE the season starts especially Lindholm or be willing to trade them in season regardless of how the team is doing.
But it won't get that far with Maloney. I really doubt they go that far with no GM hired. Did you see his press conference? He was devastated that Treliving left, and was practically quaking at the thought of being manager himself. John Bean isn't going to let him carry this out by himself for long.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
It's pretty hilarious (and telling) that ownership simply wanted Maloney to jump in there to replace Treliving.

Good on Maloney for having the self-awareness to tell them that a younger, more progressive GM is needed. That at the very least gives me some sort of hope.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
It's pretty hilarious (and telling) that ownership simply wanted Maloney to jump in there to replace Treliving.

Good on Maloney for having the self-awareness to tell them that a younger, more progressive GM is needed. That at the very least gives me some sort of hope.
He also saw first hand how much Brad had to deal with, the fact our President and CEO straight up said "I'm not even allowed to say the word rebuild" is about as telling as can be. Even if Maloney wanted to be a GM again, it would be dumb to take the job here, where his hands are completely tied and yet he'll get blamed for anything bad that happens regardless.

Much smarter to keep the cushy PoHO gig and just make some good money, have some power but not be a long term face of all the decisions. Smart guy

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Have we considered having the first AI GM? That seems young and progressive.

Whoever it ends up being absolutely needs to have the stones to stand up to Sutter. Make it clear that this is not his show. He can stay but the power games, the baffling lineup decisions, the running goalies into the ground, and the poor treatment of the team's talent needs to stop. Non-negotiable.

having said that I await the Trevor Lewis extension

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Have we considered having the first AI GM? That seems young and progressive.

Whoever it ends up being absolutely needs to have the stones to stand up to Sutter. Make it clear that this is not his show. He can stay but the power games, the baffling lineup decisions, the running goalies into the ground, and the poor treatment of the team's talent needs to stop. Non-negotiable.

having said that I await the Trevor Lewis extension
That isn't happening. He has the clout and owns the places given that he is in bed with ownership. We're f***ed.

I'm getting to the point where I'm considering not supporting this team financially under any circumstance as long as current ownership is in place. This is getting to Aquaman levels of embarassment.

Bert Mckrakken

Jul 23, 2021
Edmonton
Ok so hear me out...

Brian Burke.

Just for one season, and we make a reality show out of it.

End of the season we have a scap in the barn.

Like the Ultimate Fighter Finale.

BRobMint

Formerly known as Hockey Ninja
Apr 24, 2013
Cleveland, OH (Grew up in Calgary)
Interesting post from a guy on CalgaryPuck who knows people in the Flames org….

9824506B-F634-4518-95BA-D1A4388296A8.jpeg

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Interesting post from a guy on CalgaryPuck who knows people in the Flames org….

View attachment 691178
Not saying there's no truth to it. But ah yes, the haunted Calgary Puck "I know people who work there" source. f*** all these type of people who are generally always full of shit, and even worse is the people who give them the time of day and act like they're a real source

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Toronto firing Dubas for Treliving would be an amazing sight. Maybe they'd want Kadri back

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Tre did a very good job here with what he had to work with. Ownership was never going to sign off on another rebuild, he made the best he could under the circumstances. Flames lost a good man today.
Couldn't disagree more. His ufa deals were the main reason we couldn't build around a good core he was given

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Couldn't disagree more. His ufa deals were the main reason we couldn't build around a good core he was given
While I agree with that, those are realistically team decisions. That's everyone in the front office agreeing that Brouwer, Neal, Hamonic etc. are the guys to go after. Pro scouts above all should bear the brunt of the criticism if they advised those moves.

Notably, Treliving wasn't really going against the grain with those signings and trades. He successfully got those guys to sign over other offers. That's a success that is truly his success.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
lol it's more likely that GM Darryl Sutter trades them Wolf + Pelletier as the cost for taking Markstrom because he wants Matt Murray's cup experience on the roster

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad