Confirmed with Link: Treliving needs to go. (Edit: He Gone, Post #78)

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
There are no elite gms. They're all fumbling around in the woods, and the ones who win a cup are really lucky.
Ron Francis has been elite imo.

Doug Armstrong is great.

Yzerman is really good.

Brisebois is really good.

Kent Hughes is really good.

Zito, Poile, Dorion, Nill. All guys I easily take over Treliving.

ChrisOsullivan

Jan 20, 2022

Doug Armstrong is great.

Yzerman is really good.

I just don't think there is a such thing as an Elite GM.
You have some that get certain things right (once) like rebuilding a team, drafting well, adding complimentary pieces, but if you don't win at the peak, then they are not usually around to retool or rebuild again. Yzerman has been back in Detroit in what seems like forever, its still 4 years later just a pile of shiny parts. For Francis, far too early to crown him an elite GM, even giving full credit for beating the Avs, we will see what the next few years look like because from the outside, I don't like that team from any angle - beyond them being far better than the sum of their parts.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I think even if you're an elite GM, other GMs will notice and basically refuse to trade with you in a manner where you keep winning.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
You have to inherit Stamkos and Hedman, have scouts hitting home runs in late rounds with Point, Cirelli, Kucherov, Palat, and draft a goalie that doesn't bust in Vasilevski to be 'Yzerman' elite. TB went to the conference finals and the cup finals in two of his first 5 seasons as GM. He's 4 years into his Red Wings stint and they're spinning their wheels, haven't experience any of that elite luck yet.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Leafs fan here,

With Tree being linked to the Leafs I am just trying to get an honest assessment. From an outsiders perspective it looked as though Tree was well respected by players and around the league. He seemed to do some good things, and some bad. From reading this thread it kind of looks like he may have had an owner that was pushing a narrative that he may or may not have believed in.

Just kind of wanting to see what you guys thought of his tenure. What were his strengths, what were his weaknesses?

cheers,

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Leafs fan here,

With Tree being linked to the Leafs I am just trying to get an honest assessment. From an outsiders perspective it looked as though Tree was well respected by players and around the league. He seemed to do some good things, and some bad. From reading this thread it kind of looks like he may have had an owner that was pushing a narrative that he may or may not have believed in.

Just kind of wanting to see what you guys thought of his tenure. What were his strengths, what were his weaknesses?

cheers,
He was okay. Made some interesting trades. Some inexcusable ones - 1st for Hamonic. His teams were competitive for the most part.. Was a bridesmaid on what could have been franchise-altering deals. Not the greatest judge of head coaches. Lowballed Tkachuk so he could afford Frolik or so the story goes.
Presided over two home-grown superstars wanting out of Calgary. He was okay..heh heh

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Leafs fan here,

cheers,
Bad:
- let the most important UFA walk for nothing
- signed bad UFA contracts that had to be bought out half the time
- took 5 years to get a goalie (that helped tank our season this year anyways)
- Signed the worst contract in Flames history with Huby (Might have been ownerships fault there)
- Hamonic/Jarnkrok trade

Good:
- Drafting is better than league average
- Strong arms RFAs to sign cheap most of the time
- Makes a lot of trades (entertainment)
- Solid guy (seemingly)

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Leafs fan here,

cheers,

Just hide his phone on July 1st and you guys should be fine. He isn't that bad. His moves make sense at the time even if they don't turn out well.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Just hide his phone on July 1st and you guys should be fine.
I think this might be the worst attribute a GM can possess lol. Hopefully that was more the owners pushing for signings rather than Brad :p

Ya, I can't say I am very thrilled with the Treliving to Toronto rumours, but I am also not livid over it either. He's clearly no Stevey-Y, but I also don't think he's in the Jim Benning territory either. Just feels like a decent downgrade from Kyle Dubas TBH.

I guess time will tell. Thanks for the input @Backlund @herashak @Kranix

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Leafs fan here,

cheers,

If you want your best players winning the Stanley cup, he is your guy.

Only minor problem is they ‘ll win it with another team

Treliving built the Florida Panthers from western Canada. Really impressive dude.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Yeah, needing a break from hockey/meddling owner, only to step into the lion's den in Toronto?
I was actually wondering if he wanted more money on a new deal and the Flames weren't eager to do that.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
The weird thing is that I recall reading that Dubas disliked the interference from ownership in Toronto. Much like Treliving disliked the ownership interference in Calgary.

Seems odd that he'd seek out a similar situation, unless he gets full autonomy.

Something I was thinking. Tre could be good for Toronto, if the ownership doesn't interfere too much. He'd also have more $ to use for byuouts and retention deals. But there's some if's in there

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
MLSE is still hands on. Shanahan even said, he had to go through the same lame-duck season Dubas just did, before he got an extension as president, always being evaluated

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Yeah, needing a break from hockey/meddling owner, only to step into the lion's den in Toronto?
I was actually wondering if he wanted more money on a new deal and the Flames weren't eager to do that.
I think that's hockey speak for "it's not you it's me". Same thing happened in Toronto with Dubs I think. I genuinely think there was some contention between Shanny and Kyle in that last season, and Kyle was only willing to return if he was given more control. To which Shanny said no to.

Prior to that, Kyle had said he didn't have it in him to be anywhere else and that he'd need a break if not for GM'ing the Leafs. It just seems to be a clean way of parting ways. For all we know both Calgary and Toronto wanted both of them back, and they didn't want to be back. It's kind of looking that way at the very least

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I think that's hockey speak for "it's not you it's me". Same thing happened in Toronto with Dubs I think. I genuinely think there was some contention between Shanny and Kyle in that last season, and Kyle was only willing to return if he was given more control. To which Shanny said no to.

Prior to that, Kyle had said he didn't have it in him to be anywhere else and that he'd need a break if not for GM'ing the Leafs. It just seems to be a clean way of parting ways. For all we know both Calgary and Toronto wanted both of them back, and they didn't want to be back. It's kind of looking that way at the very least
I think yes both teams wanted both guys back, originally. In Treliving's case, he then walked away for unknown reasons. Whereas Dubas waffled or tried to take some time, and Shanahan was forced to imagine the team without him, and decided he wanted to explore that instead of bringing Dubas back.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Leafs fan here,

cheers,
Get ready for a lot of power struggles, in-fighting, and mediocre results

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border

Doug Armstrong is great.

Yzerman is really good.

Why ?

One year as a GM for the Canadiens and that makes him really good ?
I would understand if he won the Bedard sweepstakes, but dam he ain't done shit yet

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Leafs fan here,

cheers,
Above average drafting and a terrific ability to manage perceptions and the media (although Calgary's sports media is essentially a joke so not saying much). Superbly handled multiple crises while leading the organization, even if the biggest were all of his own creation (hiring Peters, bridging Tkachuk, not paying Gaudreau). Widely credited as a very hard worker and someone who knew much of what was going on around the league.

Generally a good trader but gives away picks like candy and then has very little to show for it. The prospect pools in decent shape but lacks legitimate star potential (aside from Wolf but goalies don't count in that way).

Has no idea how to hire a good coach. But to be fair, Murray Edwards is notoriously cheap in that regard unless it's Darryl Sutter.

Overly reliant on free agency. It's actually kind of funny (in a sad way); he talked a big game when he first came here how term was the real killer in free agency only to then give Frolik 5yrs, Brouwer 4 yrs, Neal 5yrs, Coleman 6yrs, Markstrom 6yrs, Kadri 7yrs.

Terrible, downright horrific asset management all in all. He inherited parts of a promising core (Gaudreau, Brodie, Giordano, Monahan, Backlund), added to it (Bennett, Tkachuk, Hamilton-->Lindholm + Hanifin, Andersson, Kylington), before pissing away the bulk of it.

Doesn't seem to understand how the cap era works. Although again, to be fair, it's a systemic problem within the organization and fanbase. They treat the thing like a glorified budget and otherwise operate with a precap mentality of a heavy emphasis on veteran experience at inflated costs and needing to prove yourself before you get paid. All the while nickeling and diming RFA's just because they can and to prove how tough of a negotiator they can be.

But there's no denying (aside from the sycophant's of course) that Edwards meddling played a role in all of the above. The only question is to what extent? Like, it's extremely safe to say that the whole grossly rushed rebuild thing is more the result of Edwards being an unrepentant idiot clown, but at the same time, it's highly unlikely he was insisting that Treliving give up a 1st and two 2nds for the very overrated Travis Hamonic. Or even if the budget for a coach was at point likely less than a 1M, it doesn't mean he had to hire a fraud like Gulutzan. That sort of stuff. And perhaps that can be answered if/when he takes the job in Toronto, but then again, they're in win now mode too.

Reactions: Twine Tickler

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Tre is pretty solid at trades, good at drafting, great at extending players, ugh at free agency. He seemed to swing and miss as much has get a good hit during UFA.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Did he ever "hit" during free agency?

I'll double down using his "best" UFA signing - Derek Ryan. This move basically prevented Sam Bennett from being a centre, and a huge reason he's not a Calgary Flame today.
Ummm a little player named Rapha Diaz??
But no. His bigger money signings, Brouwer, etc did not hit.
He had a few smaller ones like Quine, Gudbrandson that were okay.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4