Confirmed with Link: Treliving needs to go. (Edit: He Gone, Post #78)

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
The problem is not the GM, the problem is higher than that.

The problem is Murray Edwards, Murray Edwards needs to go.

It does not matter who the GM is, Murray Edwards has his hands too much in team when it comes to on ice matters.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
The problem is not the GM, the problem is higher than that.

The problem is Murray Edwards, Murray Edwards needs to go.

It does not matter who the GM is, Murray Edwards has his hands too much in team when it comes to on ice matters.
You can’t fire the owner. Treliving failed miserably with this owner. His fault or not, get someone that can make it work.

Also you can make the playoffs and be a good team. They are not mutually exclusive. It’s not a bad thing to make the playoffs lol

Last edited:

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
You can’t fire the owner. Treliving failed miserably with this owner. His fault or not, get someone that can make it work.

How can someone get the work done, when Murray Edwards is telling them playoffs or bust?

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
How can someone get the work done, when Murray Edwards is telling them playoffs or bust?
First we don’t know if that is really true or not

And they are not making the playoffs….big failure right there and it’s not that difficult. Seattle makes the playoffs.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008

And they are not making the playoffs….big failure right there and it’s not that difficult. Seattle makes the playoffs.

Murray Edwards does interfere with the on ice product.

But Brad Trevling needs to go.

There is no reason for our UFA’s to sign here.

Reactions: BRobMint and DFF

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
It's going to be an extremely interesting offseason.
The only worry I have with replacing Treliving is who the next GM will be.
Treliving is familiar with our team obviously.
There's always worse choices out there such as Chuck Fletcher, Peter Chiarelli etc.
If one of those buffoons get hired we'd be way worse off.
So, yes Treliving can go, but who do we replace him with? I'm in the same boat with Sutter.
Who's available to Coach these guys?
If we go the cheap route with Coach and GM we'll go nowhere.
I honestly don't know what we should do as an organization. We've had a very tumultuous, inconsistent season, with some better goaltending and if we scored goals instead of hitting posts we could be sitting in a very good playoff position, but we're not.
I want the youth to start playing and we know Sutter won't play them, but if the old fart vets aren't available like Lucic, Lewis, Ritchie, Stone then the kids will surely get some ice time.
Maybe we just need that youth movement in our lineup rather than bringing in new Coach and GM.
I'm not very smart when it comes to the management side of things, this year has been so difficult as a die-hard fan. I expect playoffs every year with a shot at winning the Stanley Cup.
I just don't know if there's any available Coach/GM that could come in here and improve us.
The one thing I've hated about Treliving is that he always brings in vets who do absolutely nothing on the 4th line. I'm sick of seeing scrubs out there costing us goals.
And we better not re-sign the 4 guys I mentioned above that's negative value and a step in the wrong direction.
We have a lot of decent assets going to UFA at this time next year as well. Are we committed to them? I don't know. Love to have Lindholm here for a long time, but if he wants 8 or 9 million I don't know if we'll be able to accomadate that.
I really think we had to move some guys out at the trade deadline and we did not do that. Was a great opportunity to get some picks and prospects. But....with these two in charge, what good are prospects if Sutter doesn't play them.
Like I said, should be interesting.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010

Treliving was quick to stress that this isn’t about him. That his front office as a team showed its teeth. That the Flames’ ownership showed a huge commitment, too, in the response, notably the Huberdeau and Kadri contacts. Murray Edwards, co-owner and Flames chairman, in particular, backed the idea of not re-tooling but rather keeping the team in win-now mode.

Treliving is entirely mediocre but the real problem was, is, and will continue to be Murray Edwards.

Reactions: viper0220

Metalwood

Sep 30, 2021
1681074854939.jpeg

Here’s you new guy right here

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

Treliving is entirely mediocre but the real problem was, is, and will continue to be Murray Edwards.
So because the boss wants retooling, you have an excuse to be incompetent?

Edwards didn’t decide on which players to get.

So what if we get a worse GM

Is anything in the NHL worse than missing the playoffs and draft 15th?

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.

The phrasing here (bolded) implies that Treliving wanted to stay in win-now mode.

Sounds like he's already got a foot out the door anyways so yes, he'll probably go.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
So because the boss wants retooling, you have an excuse to be incompetent?

Edwards didn’t decide on which players to get.

So what if we get a worse GM

Is anything in the NHL worse than missing the playoffs and draft 15th?
First, no one said any of that. Second, you're kind of just moving the goalposts here.

Finally, the sheer denial about Murray Edwards role in the continuation of the Flames' struggles and never-ending mediocrity is absurd. He is the only constant over the last 30 or whatever years.

You can keep wishing and hoping for some magical and superhuman GM to come in and save the day but the reality is, that's not happening when their hands are tied thanks to a hapless and clueless owner who doesn't seem to understand the cap era (along with like 90% of the Flames' fanbase). And no, that's not a defense of Treliving - I've said he's mediocre to rubbish many many times already.

When the standing orders are compete and quickly, no GM is going to look good.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Frolik + 1st (Pelletier) for Zucker was blocked because Treliving couldn't get Edwards' approval in time before the deadline passed.

Just makes you think about what other terrible transactions Treliving may have had in the works over the years.

The quality of pro scouting at the NHL level has also been near bottom of the league (subjectively, of course) during his reign as GM. There was also that interview with Conroy from a couple seasons back where he said that Brad doesn't delegate much to his AGMs and implied that he's a massive control freak.

I understand the apprehension towards the possibility of a figurehead GM who acts as Edwards' puppet, or worse (Sutter). But is Treliving really any better than those alternatives?

Reactions: lightstorm

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Frolik + 1st (Pelletier) for Zucker was blocked because Treliving couldn't get Edwards' approval in time before the deadline passed.

Just makes you think about what other terrible transactions Treliving may have had in the works over the years.

The quality of pro scouting at the NHL level has also been near bottom of the league (subjectively, of course) during his reign as GM. There was also that interview with Conroy from a couple seasons back where he said that Brad doesn't delegate much to his AGMs and implied that he's a massive control freak.

I understand the apprehension towards the possibility of a figurehead GM who acts as Edwards' puppet, or worse (Sutter). But is Treliving really any better than those alternatives?

He’s better than sutter. As for the alternatives… eh?

BRobMint

Formerly known as Hockey Ninja
Apr 24, 2013
Cleveland, OH (Grew up in Calgary)
I have respect for Tre and he’s done good things for the team. But he’s ultimately a mediocre GM who’s made some key mistakes that has bit the franchise in the ass (His FA signings and mishandling of valuable assets being the biggest ones). And I do agree that Edwards is apart of the problem as well. Ultimately, the Flames will not win a cup until the franchise realizes that thinking long-term is better than trying to sneak into the playoffs and hoping for another 04 run. This team needs a rebuild BADLY

Bert Mckrakken

Jul 23, 2021
Edmonton
Let’s swap Tre for Dubas! Just need the leafs to do leaf things and lose to Tampa again and it could happen. Other than that maybe Murray if he’s up for it. He did good things in Anaheim. Other than that there’s not much out there. Wish our franchise player would get into the executive side of things, but he wants to coach his kids. Would be great to have Iggy as a GM. Worked out well for Yzerman and Sakic

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Bob Murray was the guy who traded Shea Theodore to the Golden Knights because he had given Bieksa a NMC. As great as he and Ducks were in finding talent, especially on defense, he still managed to piss it all away over the years with almost nothing to show for it. Which is more or less what Treliving's done here. And then there's the whole, you know, abuse stuff that got him fired in the end.

But honestly, at the end of the day, literally anyone would be better than Darryl Sutter become the GM again.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Bob Murray was the guy who traded Shea Theodore to the Golden Knights because he had given Bieksa a NMC. As great as he and Ducks were in finding talent, especially on defense, he still managed to piss it all away over the years with almost nothing to show for it. Which is more or less what Treliving's done here. And then there's the whole, you know, abuse stuff that got him fired in the end.

But honestly, at the end of the day, literally anyone would be better than Darryl Sutter become the GM again.
I'll cry if Bob Murray becomes GM. Sad sack franchise I'd expect nothing less.

eternalflame2016

Nov 3, 2018
I'm clearly in the minority here, but personally I'm chalking this season up to bad luck and I'm willing to give Tre another year. We've got a few expiring contracts that frankly I think give us more opportunity to improve with them leaving for nothing.

Lucic going will be a blessing and for me I wouldn't be too bothered if we didn't re-sign Ritchie, Lewis Stone or Stetcher (not that these 4 have been that bad, I just think now is an opportunity for our younger players). That gives us up to 5 availlable roster spots for our young players to push through. See how next year goes after promoting at least 3 or 4 from the AHL and we could find out that we are contenders for at least a few years. Or we'll crash and burn. If it's the latter, then I would fire Treliving and get someone in to conduct a rebuild.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
I don't hate Brad, and I don't love Brad. He's made some good moves, he's made some bad moves. For a first time GM he's been solid, and he's a huge improvement over Feaster and the majority of the Sutter run. But I do think it's time just for a change. There's obviously ownership expectations that play a role. But he's had enough time. And given his contract is expiring, it's an easy time to just move on. We don't have to fire him, we just part ways.

I don't have huge hopes for the next GM. It's likely either gonna be another recycled, not perfect GM like Murray, or it's going to be Conroy promoted (which is my guess) who studied under Brad, so will either be similar, or will be more in line with Sutter who he played for.

Whatever happens, 2023-2024 is gonna be a crapshoot anyway. They will likely run it back hoping the bad luck of posts and poor goaltending corrects itself, which if we're being honest, if we had average goaltending and not the worst hitting post luck I've literally ever seen, we'd be comfortably in a playoff spot. But you know Edwards isn't gonna sign off on a full blow it up, so we won't trade our pending UFAs until the deadline if we do.

Also we are capped out at least next season, until the cap jumps again, so the next season is mostly going to be the new GM getting used to the job, because they won't be able to do much to change the roster for next season, it's essentially locked already. Just hope goaltending is better and we get Kylington back and hope it goes better basically.

So I do think we should move on from Tre, but I'm also not expecting much to change going into next season regardless

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad