Confirmed with Link: Treliving needs to go. (Edit: He Gone, Post #78)

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
While I agree with that, those are realistically team decisions. That's everyone in the front office agreeing that Brouwer, Neal, Hamonic etc. are the guys to go after. Pro scouts above all should bear the brunt of the criticism if they advised those moves.

Notably, Treliving wasn't really going against the grain with those signings and trades. He successfully got those guys to sign over other offers. That's a success that is truly his success.

Sure but in conjunction with the inability to get a real goalie almost every year, never finding a coach that fit the room, and losing his star player for nothing at the end of the day to many mistakes to not hold the top person accountable

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Have we considered having the first AI GM? That seems young and progressive.

Whoever it ends up being absolutely needs to have the stones to stand up to Sutter. Make it clear that this is not his show. He can stay but the power games, the baffling lineup decisions, the running goalies into the ground, and the poor treatment of the team's talent needs to stop. Non-negotiable.

having said that I await the Trevor Lewis extension

Brad GPT for gm?

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
The best move Treliving made was going for it last year with the Toffoli and Jarnkrok trades. The team looked special but cratered in 2nd round. Other than that the Bill Peters first place team was way overrated. Then multiple playoff misses. No third round in 9 years. Continuous cap issues. Too many draft picks traded for relatively no value back. A few good trades. Talked professionally. Seems good guy. But trouble evaluating pro talent at times (Brouwer, Neal) and too many coaching debacles. More misses than hits.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
The best move Treliving made was going for it last year with the Toffoli and Jarnkrok trades. The team looked special but cratered in 2nd round. Other than that the Bill Peters first place team was way overrated. Then multiple playoff misses. No third round in 9 years. Continuous cap issues. Too many draft picks traded for relatively no value back. A few good trades. Talked professionally. Seems good guy. But trouble evaluating pro talent at times (Brouwer, Neal) and too many coaching debacles. More misses than hits.

The dude also proved he had the cojones to move Neal in a trade quickly after realizing his mistake and bought out Brouwer. When Tre f***s up. He attempts to address it which shows he admits he made a mistake. Other GMs claim ignorance, bad luck etc. twiddle their thumbs and aim to let the contract ride out.

I'm not saying the dude is perfect and no one is allowed to criticize his moves. I'm saying that there was also a lot of action that showed character and the concept that he was a great representative of the Calgary Flames. He was unique in that regards and I'm saying I appreciate that honest attitude from him. He had no issues admitting mistake and that's something very few GMs in the league do as well.

Reactions: ChrisOsullivan

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Interesting post from a guy on CalgaryPuck who knows people in the Flames org….

View attachment 691178

If this is true, which I wouldn't doubt, then we're f***ed until Murray Edwards either dies or sells the team. He'll continue to do the same thing and undermine any GM or coach because he only wants to have a team good enough to make him money instead of actually trying to win. A new GM doesn't even matter at this point.

ChrisOsullivan

Jan 20, 2022
Have we considered having the first AI GM? That seems young and progressive.

Whoever it ends up being absolutely needs to have the stones to stand up to Sutter. Make it clear that this is not his show. He can stay but the power games, the baffling lineup decisions, the running goalies into the ground, and the poor treatment of the team's talent needs to stop. Non-negotiable.

having said that I await the Trevor Lewis extension
If you want to "stand up to Sutter"? Then you better bring a pedigree. "Sutter" took this team to a Stanley Cup Final (and won it - in some minds) and then later took 2 other teams to the finals again, and won. No one on this forum, (well probably on this forum), will ever herald any of those teams as simply being the best teams in the league - in fact, far from it. Which available GM has this success? Which active GM with another team has this success?

Look, you've got 2 more years of Sutter, get a GM that shares his vision of what a playoff contender looks like and try to retool this team, as little as possible, into getting 2 more playoff runs out of it. After 2 years, go get your AI, go get your Zito, your Soup of the day, whoever you want.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I don’t think he’d want to come here
No but you'd hope that he'd have to be considered as an option, even if he says no. Probably have to wait for Toronto's season to end first.

If it's a high profile outside hire like that (like not Craig Conroy), you'd have to figure there'd be a clause that allows complete control over hockey operations for the Flames.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Treliving should have been exiled to the KHL for how he handled everything to do with Sam Bennett

Are you saying this based on the habit of garden variety "exile to Siberia" stuff? Or are you legit wishing that much ill will on the man?

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Making the playoffs consistently even if we get bounced in the first round is an upgrade on the last 20 years imo

He took over a team that had foundational pieces in place in Auston Matthews and Mitch Marner to build around and then had Tavares fall into his lap.

That team was making the playoffs no matter what GM was there, and he has done nothing but bleeds picks on marginal talent at best and has completely bargain-bin shopped his goaltending.

In my opinion he's done a piss poor job. I don't get the love affair with him.

He's traded 6* first round picks and the return has been (two of which were used to dump Marleau and Mrazek)

Jake McCabe
Jake Muzzin
Ryan O'Rielly (UFA)
Nick Foligno (UFA)

Could you imagine the uproar if Treliving did that?

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Making the playoffs consistently even if we get bounced in the first round is an upgrade on the last 20 years imo
Making the playoffs and getting bounced in the first round isn't really any better to what we've become accustomed to with this org imo, we need someone who would get us further than that.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: