Confirmed with Link: Treliving needs to go. (Edit: He Gone, Post #78)

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
It can be myopic to over-analyze any general manager, considering they all make mistakes.

What it comes down to me though, is Treliving never fostered an environment where skilled players could establish themselves as stars.

Fox never would have been Fox, because Treliving had to load up the right side with guys like Hamilton, Hamonic etc. Of course he didn't sign.

Bennett is the center of the #1 line on a Cup FInalist. He needed to be traded because Treliving never allowed for the possibility that Sean Monahan was better off as a winger.

Kylington is probably the Flames' best asset on D, and has been since about a year after we drafted him. But Treliving's Hanifin hardon cost him.

The list goes on.

There's a good chance that Treliving works as GM of the Leafs, since Matthews is a better piece than any we ever had, and their amateur scouting is inferior to ours. But I don't really care. The Flames didn't lose their strong asset (the scouts that drafted Gaudreau, Brodie, Mangiapane, Kylington, Andersson, Ruzicka, etc in the later rounds) to the Leafs

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Sutter is so extremely tight with Murray Edwards, having far more influence on different areas of the organization than most people can imagine, that Edwards let his peons Maloney and Bean do whatever they wanted and fire Darryl.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

xxOCZMSxx

Jan 20, 2015
Hey guys… Leafs fan here in peace. Just a question….

Does Treliving “leak” selectively to the media during the off-season, or does he maintain a “penalty of death” cone of silence around the front office? Just curious since the next month are setting up to be a spectacle in T.O.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB

Does Treliving “leak” selectively to the media during the off-season, or does he maintain a “penalty of death” cone of silence around the front office? Just curious since the next month are setting up to be a spectacle in T.O.

Not really a leaker. I doubt he would start doing that in Toronto. You'll just hear about what he's doing after he's already done it. His big moves usually came out of nowhere. Conroy said he would usually do most of his work alone.

Reactions: MM917 and Fig

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

Dude probably does everything in a sensory deprivation chamber. You often get rumors he's poking around from other teams, not his own. He's in on everything and I often think he does it for information purposes and testing the reactions of certain GMs. He'll go out to the media and say, "I'm considering that... AND everything else possible." He'll leak nothing or pour more water on the puddle so that you have no idea how to identify which part was the leak.

I think he chats with all GMs about key pieces if he knows he's unlikely to land the deal. He's often the runner up for a lot of deals if he thinks a player is undervalued to seemingly run up the price or try and snag and crazy deal on a player. Annoying to hear as a fan sometimes, but is it any different than someone who barely put in effort and ended up as the 4th or 5th best deal on the table? But then you know how the GM reacts or how they value certain side pieces or players for future deals and this allows him a slight bit of extra leverage for a deal he really wants to be the winner on.

However, there were instances where we often wondered if he's worked so hard to the point he's got a fully fleshed out plan A, B and C that are all simultaneously viable, but not possible to simultaneously complete. He'd give an AGM like Conroy plan B, tell him it was a highest likelihood plan. Conroy would go chat candidly about plan B as if it were plan A and not knowing he was basically a smokescreen for Treliving for further fleshing out the details and opportunities on the other plans. This allows Treliving to keep working on plan A and C with a few select others in management and swoop in on certain opportunities (ie: Conroy saying we'd draft a good one in 2015 but then we traded for Hamilton with our 2015 first rounder).

The thing is, Treliving fleshes out an insane amount of deals to the point of near completion. The rumors were he had two extremely viable options for Tkachuk and asked ownership which to go with. I think the same happens for many other deals and the difference in minor details, costs of acquisition, ownership signoff etc. relabels 3 viable options in high detail as in plan A, B and C.

Sometimes we'd hear about certain things happening (ie: Treliving mad something caused a trade to fail at submission) and it takes forever for the rest of the rumor to come out if it ever does. (ie: Details on why the trade for Bishop for a 3rd and 5th failed or why the Zucker trade failed).

Reactions: xxOCZMSxx

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.

Someone in the organization does. Seems like we knew a LOT more when Treliving was GM than when Burke or Feaster were in charge. Or maybe Treliving was just in on more action.

Never during late off-season though. I really think the entire staff takes a bit of time off during summer, once free agency cools off.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Someone in the organization does. Seems like we knew a LOT more when Treliving was GM than when Burke or Feaster were in charge. Or maybe Treliving was just in on more action.

Never during late off-season though. I really think the entire staff takes a bit of time off during summer, once free agency cools off.

I thought we had less leaks than when Burke or Feaster were in charge. Partially because Burke and Feaster openly spoke about what they were going to do. It's not really a leak if the tap was never turned off on purpose IMO. Feaster IIRC was in the same tier as Benning for talking thoughts out loud.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
TSN's Salim Valji made the following prediction back in December 30, 2022:

The Toronto Maple Leafs target Brad Treliving to become their new General Manager.

Maple Leafs target Brad Treliving to lead their hockey operations

brad-treliving-1-1828610-1661864030289.jpeg

We’ll get the boldest prediction out of the way early on.

Anything can change with a phone call, but at this moment I don’t think Brad Treliving will be back as the team’s general manager, a post he’s held since 2014. Treliving is in the final season of his contract and has not put pen to paper on a new deal, despite Darryl Sutter inking a two-season extension at the start of the season.

The power dynamic in Calgary is different. Sutter is extremely tight with Murray Edwards, the team’s principal owner, and has far more influence on different areas of the organization than most people can imagine. It’s also fair to ask if Sutter and Treliving have been on the same page this season regarding player usage and integrating young players into the lineup.

This Flames group has gotten off to a bit slower of a start than expected and the roster has some flaws, but by and large Treliving has a very good reputation around the league as someone who works extremely hard and is unafraid of being bold on the trade market or in free agency. Treliving has never worked under an owner with the resources and mindset of MLSE, and the allure of building in the league’s biggest market will be tempting for him…even if Edwards does eventually make him a market-value offer.

Current Leafs general manager Kyle Dubas is the final season of his deal as well and should the two sides move on, I think Treliving will immediately become Toronto’s top target as their next head of hockey operations.
Guy got constantly shat on by calgarypuck for having some balls. One of the few in Calgary media that has that.

Last edited:

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Sutter is so extremely tight with Murray Edwards, having far more influence on different areas of the organization than most people can imagine, that Edwards let his peons Maloney and Bean do whatever they wanted and fire Darryl.
The alternative was seeing large chunks of the roster demand a trade. I don’t think Edward’s is too pleased paying 8m buckaroos for sutter to be at the ranch.

Reactions: Fig

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
He's no different than Eric Francis
Eric Francis can be a pain in the ass too, but at least he is someone who isn’t just milquetoast and sucking this org’s toes all the time. Sutter pissed off almost the entire organization, and yet we heard almost nothing from the local media outside of one or two guys.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Eric Francis can be a pain in the ass too, but at least he is someone who isn’t just milquetoast and sucking this org’s toes all the time. Sutter pissed off almost the entire organization, and yet we heard almost nothing from the local media outside of one or two guys.
I think that was more so Sutter rubbed Salim the wrong way early on, whereas Francis is hard wired to be cringe and doesn't care if a coach snaps back at him. That's the only difference between them. Valji got a bruise on his large ego, and had an agenda apart from his clickbait from then on.

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
Wrong forum? Plus there is a $4 million difference in salary which Calgary can't take on.

Not at all. Make cap room, trade Hanifin if Kylington is coming back. TO can retain a mil and still save. Do anything to get rid of that toxic Kadri contract, and pray that Tavares has chemistry with Huberdeau because it looks like no one else does.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Reading through those ridiculous Monohan trade conditions. If Treliving knew how to manage the cap we could of bought out Monohan, still signed Kadri and had two 2025 first rounders most likely.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00