Travis Sanheim Discussion Thread Part Two

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
You really overcomplicate this stuff, my man. Sanheim plays as much as/more than Niskanen at ES because he's still been net impactful, and AV likes to roll pairs. Hagg wasn't coached to be a "rover" with Ghost because of his size, and his benching corroborates a lack of satisfaction. Niskanen plays PP probably because of handedness/"veterinarian" qualities, and he's had no reason to tweak. Besides, the leading SH goal culprit is now on PP1. AV doesn't really seem to put much value in what happened here in the recent past.

You had me at "his benching corroborates a lack of satisfaction" because I thought you meant "bench-pressing."

eLv0aiv.gif

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
Sanheim was totally lost as a rookie, sending him down was the right move, irregardless of the alternative, we were rebuilding, not on a Cup run.
When Sanheim came back, he was a much better and more confident player.
But sheltering him with Gudas was the right move as well, maybe for too long, but he seems a bit fragile and took time to adjust at each level of play.
Patience paid off.

Myers this year was a different matter, he was unfocused in TC and needed a swift kick. Sending him down got the desire result, at least his first two games back up. His problem may be a bit too much confidence in his own abilities (i.e. takes unnecessary risks, doesn't focus on fundamentals).

Different strokes for different folks, some need their confidence bolstered, some need the 2x4 mule treatment.
Regardless. Not irregardless. The latter isn’t a word. And that was third inaccurate thing is this post so I stopped there

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Samhain is an aggravating player to me. Has all of the physical tools — size, skating, seemingly intelligent. But he’s soft as can be & makes a lot of bad mistakes. I hope Vigneault can get him on the right track.

Reactions: Johnk0728

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
sanheim just needs a little more grit. He probably apologizes when he hits a player lol. Such a nice fella
It can take a long time for defensemen to mature. He definitely needs to get stronger but he is getting good coaching and will most likely improve defensively over time. He does have excellent offensive instincts and skills which are really hard to teach.

Reactions: Rebels57

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
You really overcomplicate this stuff, my man. Sanheim plays as much as/more than Niskanen at ES because he's still been net impactful, and AV likes to roll pairs

Last game was getting close to ideal with the current roster. (5on5 ice time)

Provy(18:39)-Niskanen(19:00)
Sanheim(17:46)-Myers(17:01)
Ghost(15:09)-Braun(13:01)

Hagg's already been healthy scratched 3 times this season.... that's progress!

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

I don't think there's any question about the offensive skills of Sanheim and Myers, it's defense and mistakes that keep them back.
Sanheim looked great in a sheltered role (now you know why HCs shelter young players) but struggled a bit as his responsibilities increased.
He's gotten stronger, and when he's focused he's reliable, but also has stretches where I think AV would like to hit him along the side of his head to wake him up.

But this isn't that surprising for a 23 year old defenseman in his 3rd season. Sanheim needs to continue to get stronger (better along the boards but still loses too many battles, and when D-men lose possession battles behind their net, bad things happen), refine his fundamentals and be more consistent. He doesn't have to be great defensively, just good enough that his offense isn't negated at the other end of the ice.

I think the only reason he's not on the PP is AV wants him to focus on 5x5 play, the fact that he has a major role on the PK may be part of that development process, because he's not a great PK defender, but it's a great way to teach a young defensemen to get comfortable when outnumbered.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Last game was getting close to ideal with the current roster. (5on5 ice time)

Provy(18:39)-Niskanen(19:00)
Sanheim(17:46)-Myers(17:01)
Ghost(15:09)-Braun(13:01)

Hagg's already been healthy scratched 3 times this season.... that's progress!

Spooky.

Boston Bruins @ Philadelphia Flyers, 2020-01-13

Provy(18:39)-Niskanen(15:34)
Sanheim(17:12)-Myers(16:00)
Hagg(15:34)-Friedman(14:10)

Reactions: flyersfan187

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I don't think there's any question about the offensive skills of Sanheim and Myers, it's defense and mistakes that keep them back.
Sanheim looked great in a sheltered role (now you know why HCs shelter young players) but struggled a bit as his responsibilities increased.
He's gotten stronger, and when he's focused he's reliable, but also has stretches where I think AV would like to hit him along the side of his head to wake him up.

But this isn't that surprising for a 23 year old defenseman in his 3rd season. Sanheim needs to continue to get stronger (better along the boards but still loses too many battles, and when D-men lose possession battles behind their net, bad things happen), refine his fundamentals and be more consistent. He doesn't have to be great defensively, just good enough that his offense isn't negated at the other end of the ice.

I think the only reason he's not on the PP is AV wants him to focus on 5x5 play, the fact that he has a major role on the PK may be part of that development process, because he's not a great PK defender, but it's a great way to teach a young defensemen to get comfortable when outnumbered.

Sanheim has arguably been the Flyers most effective regular PKer this year. His underlying stats blow Provorov+Niskanen out of the water.

Allows 10 less CA/60.
Allows 10 less SA/60.
Allows 0.8 less ExGA/60.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Sanheim has arguably been the Flyers most effective regular PKer this year. His underlying stats blow Provorov+Niskanen out of the water.

Allows 10 less CA/60.
Allows 10 less SA/60.
Allows 0.8 less ExGA/60.

Isn't he facing 2nd units though? Surely that would effect the numbers.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
That's 'cause Couts takes his penalties against teams with top PP units. :sarcasm:

Guy is just trying to pad his numbers.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
Letting him roam free more often would be fun. He’s at his best when the shackles are off. Last night was an excellent example of this. A monster over the ice.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I don't see why. He's not putting up the kind of big numbers that will make him unaffordable.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
If AV took the shackles off Sanheim and allowed him to roam, he would very much look like a young Karlsson. He's a fantastic skater and has a wicked wrist shot.

Reactions: Ted Brown

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
If AV took the shackles off Sanheim and allowed him to roam, he would very much look like a young Karlsson. He's a fantastic skater and has a wicked wrist shot.

How is AV's holding him back?

Sanheim regularly pinches and goes down low. That Sanheim/Myers pair has been uber involved offensively.
Whats hurt them is Myers massive brainfarts or unnecessary flip outs.

Inside the blueline, they have been pretty active imo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad