Travis Sanheim Discussion Thread Part Two

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Yup, going long term on him would've been the smart move, especially since he was open to doing it.

But nah. Now we can play much more in a few years.
Just curious, what do you think he would have signed for long term and for how long?

Audible Velvet

Jul 9, 2015
Philthadelphia
If his camp said six years, I wouldn't have balked for term. I have no idea what may have been on the table. I just won't be surprised if he's a legit first pair/PP mainstay in the near future.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Yup, going long term on him would've been the smart move, especially since he was open to doing it.

But nah. Now we can play much more in a few years.

Except we got 2 yr for 3+M
So if we pay $8M on a 6 year deal, it's 8 years for about $6.8M a year (even if it's an 8 year deal, we'd be paying $8M on those last two years even if we signed him to a long-term deal this year).
With all the upfront risk on Sanheim.

To make a long-term deal worthwhile from the Flyers perspective, it would have to come in well under $6M, otherwise the team is better off waiting and paying more per year in two years IF he turns out to be worth it. The bridge deal is essentially a team option.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Does it matter? Just give him what he wants.
I'm assuming this is a dig at my position on Provolone's contract negotiations. It is great you can ignore the point of an argument and pick out one "sound byte" and pretend like because I said I would pay him as a last resort to avoid a holdout situation that it really means that I would just pay him whatever he wants whenever he wants and therefore that I would pay anyone whatever they want whenever they want, despite the fact that I made clear that in dealing with the other guys that are presently RFAs that I would not do that.

I am just curious as to what people think he would have signed for if it was a long term deal. Do you think he would have signed for less than Ghost but long-term? More? Wouldn't it be outrageous for him to come anywhere close to Ghost? Provolone can't make $8 million because there are guys better than him that make less than that and it is ok for him to sit out and miss a year to teach him a lesson and have a worse defense, but you're going to pay Sanheim the same as Ghost (or more or perhaps he is going to sign for cheap for long term because Fletcher asked nicely)? I am just having difficulty following how these negotiations should go.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Why the Flyers are keeping the faith with a struggling...

Unlike his problems with opposing forechecks, this one — as embarrassing as it’s been for Sanheim — seems more fluky than anything else. Sanheim was at a loss to explain it.

“I wish I knew,” he said on Saturday. “I’d love to get into a new pair (of skates) right now and, unfortunately, I don’t have another pair here (that) I’m able to use. I don’t know whether it’s the skate or it’s me or my blades, but it’s something. Hopefully, I can figure it out.”

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Everyone wants to play the shiny new toy, but there's a price to pay.
I expect Sanheim and Myers to make their share of mistakes as they grow into their roles. But they're at the career point where they have to sink or swim.

The problem comes when people conclude that a more talented prospect is automatically a better player than a veteran - Sanheim is more talented than Niskanen, but no sane coach would play Sanheim over Niskanen. Especially with a game on the line.

What a player will be isn't necessarily what that player is now, the problem for every coach is what is the best strategy to get that player to realize their potential, more AHL time? sheltered NHL time? throw them into deep water PT?

Which is why I tend to give HCs/GMs the benefit of the doubt until they have a track record of ruining talented prospects - that's far different than not playing them as fast as fans would desire, fans will move on to the next player if it turns out a player is rushed and their development set back.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Everyone wants to play the shiny new toy, but there's a price to pay.
I expect Sanheim and Myers to make their share of mistakes as they grow into their roles. But they're at the career point where they have to sink or swim.

The problem comes when people conclude that a more talented prospect is automatically a better player than a veteran - Sanheim is more talented than Niskanen, but no sane coach would play Sanheim over Niskanen. Especially with a game on the line.

What a player will be isn't necessarily what that player is now, the problem for every coach is what is the best strategy to get that player to realize their potential, more AHL time? sheltered NHL time? throw them into deep water PT?

Which is why I tend to give HCs/GMs the benefit of the doubt until they have a track record of ruining talented prospects - that's far different than not playing them as fast as fans would desire, fans will move on to the next player if it turns out a player is rushed and their development set back.

What a strawman. It was never Sanheim over someone like Niskanen though, it's prospects over absolute negatives like Hagg and MacDonald.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
What a strawman. It was never Sanheim over someone like Niskanen though, it's prospects over absolute negatives like Hagg and MacDonald.

Sanheim was totally lost as a rookie, sending him down was the right move, irregardless of the alternative, we were rebuilding, not on a Cup run.
When Sanheim came back, he was a much better and more confident player.
But sheltering him with Gudas was the right move as well, maybe for too long, but he seems a bit fragile and took time to adjust at each level of play.
Patience paid off.

Myers this year was a different matter, he was unfocused in TC and needed a swift kick. Sending him down got the desire result, at least his first two games back up. His problem may be a bit too much confidence in his own abilities (i.e. takes unnecessary risks, doesn't focus on fundamentals).

Different strokes for different folks, some need their confidence bolstered, some need the 2x4 mule treatment.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
But is that because AV thinks Sanheim is better, or because he wants to limit Niskanen's TOI? I'd say the latter.
Provorov and Niskanen are the shutdown pair used against the other team's best line.

If you want two solid years out of Niskanen before he walks, I'd try to keep his total TOI around 20 minutes a night.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
But is that because AV thinks Sanheim is better, or because he wants to limit Niskanen's TOI? I'd say the latter.
Provorov and Niskanen are the shutdown pair used against the other team's best line.

If you want two solid years out of Niskanen before he walks, I'd try to keep his total TOI around 20 minutes a night.

So why play him on the PP if you want to use him as a shutdown guy while also limiting time?

Reactions: Striiker

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
What was one of the biggest problems on the PP the last four years - short handed goals@!

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
What was one of the biggest problems on the PP the last four years - short handed goals@!

You really overcomplicate this stuff, my man. Sanheim plays as much as/more than Niskanen at ES because he's still been net impactful, and AV likes to roll pairs. Hagg wasn't coached to be a "rover" with Ghost because of his size, and his benching corroborates a lack of satisfaction. Niskanen plays PP probably because of handedness/"veterinarian" qualities, and he's had no reason to tweak. Besides, the leading SH goal culprit is now on PP1. AV doesn't really seem to put much value in what happened here in the recent past.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad