Travis Sanheim Discussion Thread Part Two

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
More well-rounded =/= better. Provorov had a great start to the season. Sanheim handedly outplayed Provorov last year playing the same exact minutes.

I expect they will trade off years throughout their tenures with Provorov always likely to have the usage edge to accumulate counting stats.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
More well-rounded =/= better. Provorov had a great start to the season. Sanheim handedly outplayed Provorov last year playing the same exact minutes.

I expect they will trade off years throughout their tenures with Provorov always likely to have the usage edge to accumulate counting stats.

SoMe pEopLe wAnt a TEAm fuLl oF bObBY OrRs

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Wait, is this an option? I vote for this.

It shouldnt be, apparently, because having 6 generational defencemen is bad, because their D isnt up to snuff. Need some heavy.

Give me 6 prime Erik Karlssons any day of the week. You dont need to play D when youre in the other zone for 59 minutes.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
He produced more than Frost or Farabee (who have zero PP points all season) but lost his spot to both of them for a while. Meanwhile Lindblom, who is an RFA with no term, was a PP regular till he got sick. I don't understand why any weird PP moves get blamed on contracts.

Didn't Myers get PP time instead of Sanheim in the game Niskanen missed? That would speak to them being oddly obsessed with the idea of having a RHD in that spot, rather than term seen as how Myers is another RFA in a contract year.

Yes, here it is.

Philadelphia Flyers - Ottawa Senators - December 21st, 2019

PP TOI
Provorov 5:13
Myers 3:29
Ghost 3:03
Sanheim 0:22

Last edited:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Im more worried about his defensive play than his offensive. The Sanheim-Myers pair has been a cluster**** in the dzone lately. Hopefully they put Sanheim back w/ Braun on Saturday. That pair was good defensively.

Turns out Ghost is good enough defensively to carry a pairing.

Sometimes people don't understand what they have until it's gone.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
All these goals of late have been a Myers+forward issue more than a Sanheim issue.

Not all, but most. ROR goal just 2 games ago was on Sanheim + Elliott. In general, the pair just gets out of position and other over-compensates every time. Myers is the bigger culprit though.

Caesar

Nov 28, 2019
Offensively, Sanheim's pace have been about what the team needs. Defensively, he's been a hard horse to back. He's off-puck defensive awareness needs to improve (along with his positioning in the defensive zone).

Definitely still has a ton of potential to be a more well-rounded defensemen, but he's still young. Hopefully he finishes this second half strong and continues his upward trajectory into next season.

Reactions: Rebels57

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
All these goals of late have been a Myers+forward issue more than a Sanheim issue.

The chief difference is that Ghost was far more aware in terms of filling into that spot when something collapsed. He has covered for quite a few Myers slip ups in the corner and behind the net but it did require taking the risk of leaving his own man open, but it hasn't proven to be an issue yet. So something has been steadily breaking down, still. For a while. With remarkable deja vu involved.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
The chief difference is that Ghost was far more aware in terms of filling into that spot when something collapsed. He has covered for quite a few Myers slip ups in the corner and behind the net but it did require taking the risk of leaving his own man open, but it hasn't proven to be an issue yet. So something has been steadily breaking down, still. For a while. With remarkable deja vu involved.

I think they just spend too much time in their own end, due to neither being a stud exit/entry guy like Ghost or Provorov, and things inevitably break down. The sample is not good, but these recent goals are still a few plays fresh in the mind in small sample. I’d like to see Sanheim-Myers just not be in their defensive end so much. And I’m not sure it’s possible at this stage.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
Sanheim is playing well. Forwards (wingers in particular) have been abandoning their checks in the DZ at an alarming rate recently and they’ve lead to quite a few goals against as a result.

One or two coverage gaffes by a defenseman, out of ~18(ish) total shifts in a game, is pretty normal for an NHL defenseman. I’m seeing that from Sanheim lately. A ton more good defensive plays/stops than breakdowns.

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018

Wingers in particular are flying the zone like crazy recently...leaving their checks completely uncovered.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Just realized he has played exactly 200 NHL games. Some, including Chuck Fletcher, believe that is the milestone number for a young defenseman. 114 defensemen have played 3,000+ minutes over the last three seasons, here is where he stands.

upload_2021-1-9_11-9-10.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad