Travis Sanheim Discussion Thread Part Two

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
logo.png

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012

Of the 151 eligible defensemen he was one of just 19 to have an above average impact on both shot generation and shot suppression rates by both Corsi and Dangerous Fenwick against elite forwards. Furthermore, only five defensemen had better on-ice Dangerous Fenwick generation and Dangerous Fenwick suppression rates than Sanheim.

Unfortunately, the author left out the part about being a p***y nerd.

Chris Therien is too busy LOL'ing about analytics to read this article.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Love what Sanheim has done, look no further on evidence of Hakstol being completely clueless than his treatment of this player.
You don't think Sanheim being played less per game than every Dman on our roster was a good thing? He got to watch Folin play more. Hagg play more. He learned what NOT to do.

Smart ol Hakstol!

Reactions: Rebels57

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Dangerous Fenwick v elite competition against/60:
2018-19
Provorov 37.3
Sanheim 38.6
Gudas 43.7
MacDonald, Hagg 44.7
Ghost 45.9
Myers 60.6
2017-18
Provorov 36.8
Ghost 37.5
Hagg 40.5
Gudas 42.0
MacDonald 43.4
Manning 44.9
Sanheim 48.5

Seems partnering with Provorov improves your defensive stats.

Middle level players,
Ghost (34.9) and MacDonald (34.6) were the best in 2018-19, Provorov (44.5) and Hagg (46.7) the worst
Ghost (31.6) and Sanheim (32.2) were the best in 2017-18, MacDonald (41.8) and Hagg (41.9) the worst

Energy lines
Gudas (32.9) was the only standout in 2018-19, Sanheim (41.1), Provorov (43.1), Hagg (44.6) struggled
Sanheim (29.7) and Gudas (30.8) were the best in 2017-18, Hagg (38.4) and MacDonald (38.7) the worst

Reactions: Juicy Pop

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
But we need someone who is actually good at defense to play on the top pair!

What I took from the article, and what I’ve said before in different ways, is that QoT matters more than anything. Play him with Coots’ line and skilled forwards, his strengths as a player are enhanced. He’s an excellent playmaker. It’s going to show more when he’s actually on the ice with other skilled creators. Play him with bottom 6ers with limited skill and creativity, you’re probably going to be left with wanting more. If I had a dollar for every two line stretch pass he hit Dale Weise is stride with only to watch it get dumped into the corner...

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Sanheim is playing better because he's more experienced, his numbers were worse when he moved up with Provorov overall b/c he faced tougher competition, but that's to be expected. He'll grow into the role over time.

Hopefully this summer he'll hit the weight room and add some strength, he's admitted he needs to.

All part of development, Sanheim will be 23 this season, and is still polishing his game, scoring isn't enough, defensemen have to play defense as well.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
That's simply not true, Gudas was fine with everyone but Hagg, that is, any mobile defenseman.
Provorov played better with Ghost last year than Sanheim this year, but that may be Provorov, not his partner.

Sanheim is going to be very good, but he wasn't there as a rookie and was a work in progress last year.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Gudas played with 4 defensemen last year, Sanheim, Ghost, MacDonald and Hagg:

Sanheim, 14-9 GF/GA, 56.1 Corsi
Ghost 4-2, 62.1
MacDonald 8-6, 54.0
Hagg 17-21, 42.5

He was better with Ghost and almost as good with AMac.

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017

Unfortunately, the author left out the part about being a ***** nerd.

Chris Therien is too busy LOL'ing about analytics to read this article.

Stizzle, thanks for the link. Good read.

I might have to change my user name to "Dangerous Fenwick." :naughty:

Reactions: Stizzle

sna

May 12, 2019
thoughts on his contract? i was thinking to skip a bridge deal and take a risk by signing longer term, would help us with our cap in a couple years

we should follow the lead of nashville/carolina who have top young dcores at amazing contracts

what they did was sign their young players to longer contracts early and skip bridge deals, maybe a ghost-like contract could work for him

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
thoughts on his contract? i was thinking to skip a bridge deal and take a risk by signing longer term, would help us with our cap in a couple years

we should follow the lead of nashville/carolina who have top young dcores at amazing contracts

what they did was sign their young players to longer contracts early and skip bridge deals, maybe a ghost-like contract could work for him

Max years preferably. No doubt. Most everyone here seems in agreement on that.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

sna

May 12, 2019
Max years preferably. No doubt. Most everyone here seems in agreement on that.
as in 8 years already? after watching provorov and ghost have their fair share of struggles after good seasons ur not more cautious?

dont think hes shown enough yet to warrant 8 years unless ur getting him at a steal aav which would lower the risk

like how josi got 4m over 7 years after his elc would be nice but i dont see sanheim signing that when he could go for a couple years and then cash in with a big contract after proving himself more

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
as in 8 years already? after watching provorov and ghost have their fair share of struggles after good seasons ur not more cautious?

dont think hes shown enough yet to warrant 8 years unless ur getting him at a steal aav which would lower the risk

like how josi got 4m over 7 years after his elc would be nice but i dont see sanheim signing that when he could go for a couple years and then cash in with a big contract after proving himself more

Their struggles aren't enough to make you turn down a long term deal if you can get it.

sna

May 12, 2019
Their struggles aren't enough to make you turn down a long term deal if you can get it.
thats fair but theres still some risk involved

florida locked ekblad up early at 7.5m and now hes struggling, although i suppose he had injury issues so thats not the best comparison

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
thats fair but theres still some risk involved

florida locked ekblad up early at 7.5m and now hes struggling, although i suppose he had injury issues so thats not the best comparison

Provorov won't be making 7.5 million, that was quite the reckless move by Florida. Ekblad is an outlier.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00