Travis Sanheim Discussion Thread Part Two

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Not that Gudas is chopped liver, but remember the beginning of the year Travis was 3rd pairing. And that's with the two of them playing well, good numbers, and the former HC said to effect, "nah, they got a role, we're not gonna change, nor expand, it. Let them excel in the (sic)crumbs they are working with already."

You have to combine that logic with promoting Weise and demoting Lindblom at the same time. Or playing Hagg and MacDonald in the top 4, even on the top pair due to some early points. THE WORST. Usage incompetence on an apocalyptic scale.

HB7RqXz.gif

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The last 2 months of Travo.

@Ted Brown

Of course, the 22 games before that, he had 0-4 4 ES points and -9 under Gordon.

Which is why I don't expect a lot from Myers right now, it takes time to adjust to the NHL, then time to adjust from a sheltered role to playing the other team's best players. Next fall is another matter!

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Imagine where the team would be in the standings if we had a real coach all year.
With Sanheim getting real icetime and actually being used on the PP instead of Provorov...

Hopefully next year.

It’s insane to think there was a person on this planet who looked at our team and thought Hagg and MacDonald were better than Sanheim.

A full year of Sanheim and Ghost is going to be fun to watch. Especially if paired together.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018

You have to combine that logic with promoting Weise and demoting Lindblom at the same time. Or playing Hagg and MacDonald in the top 4, even on the top pair due to some early points. THE WORST. Usage incompetence on an apocalyptic scale.

That quote makes no sense. In fact, it's the exact opposite of what you should be doing with young players. You bring them in and start them in an easy position/spot (i.e., 3rd defense pair). When he gets comfortable there, you then push him up the depth chart and see how he reacts to the increased minutes and responsibilities.

And yet he had no issues pushing Hagg up the depth chart as he continually showed that he couldn't handle anything above the 3rd pair

Hak really was clueless

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
No, he was bringing Sanheim along slowly because he was valuable.
Hagg played because the Flyers lacked size on defense, probably one of the five smallest groups in the NHL.
With Myers added, Hagg's size is less valuable, and if Morin can show he can play, no longer needed.

Even Gudas isn't very physical around the net (dirty, but not that big).
That's been a problem for a while, we used to have Pronger (6'6 220) and Coburn (6'5 223) and Meszaros (6'3 222).

When opposing forwards want to park in front of the blue paint, it's nice to have some big boys serve eviction notices.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Nothing helps a player improve like being benched for no reason and being put in a position to fail, behind FAR inferior players, under a coach who is horrible with communicating and developing young guys.

Sanheims development is thanks to his own ability. If anything Hakstol held him back, hurting the team in the process.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
It's one thing to start a player like Sanheim off on the third pairing getting 15-16 minutes a game with the odd healthy scratch. But to still have him there 14 months after he played his first NHL game displayed a mind boggling level of incompetence.

Reactions: Tripod

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Especially when the coach even admitted that he was the better half of our best pair at the time, but that he STILL refused to give him more icetime.

Hakstol just plain refused to give Sanheim a chance and then PROVED, beyond all doubt, that it had nothing to do with Sanheim's performance. But we already knew that, since Hakstol made it abundantly clear that quality of play had nothing to do with icetime. A completely indefensible decision by a completely indefensible coach.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
Hakstol liked Sanheim. He just has extremely outdated and flawed views on “roles”. His comment about the Gudas\sanheim pair summed it up perfectly.

He seemingly acknowledged they were better than others but didn’t play the role he envisioned for the specific slot in the lineup in question

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Ah, now it makes so much more sense why Hagg won a spot over Morin last year, despite looking worse in training camp.

His size really helps in not really hitting anyone either. And no, i dont care what quantity of hits hes credited with. Give me a well timed, impactful hit (taking someone out of the play) over 35 bumps in the corner after the player just passed the puck to the slot where Hagg just vacated any day of the week.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
After last night's game, I'd be a little more cautious about saying Sanheim is ready for prime time. He was worse than Hagg.

Perfect example why it's easier to play a young defensemen when you're rebuilding than when you're fighting for a playoff spot.
Sanheim has great offensive skills, but remains an adventure in his own D-zone, if I were an opposing HC, I'd have my forwards pressure him every time he touches the puck in the D-zone and force him to make decisions under pressure.

It's one thing to say the young players should play and get experience, but only if you're prepared to lose games when they look butt ugly.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
Last night exposed Gordon’s flawed system as much as Sanheim had a weak game. Prime example his turnover up the wall that led to a goal. Bad play by him? 100%

But watch that play and you will see he was setup to fail in that position. Tough play on his back hand with no forward support in sight. Our forwards have continually been way too high in transition. It’s what Gordon did in the AHL with his “flip” passes to exist the zone which is not proper hockey

Reactions: Rebels57

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Oh, I have no interest in absolving Gordon, I think the Flyers are worse, other than goaltenders, than under Hakstol, they have become turnover prone and sloppy, especially in the D-zone. Whenever the goal tenders don't stand on their heads, this team's flaws are evident.

People expect too much from the young defensemen, there's a reason most teams bring young defensemen along slowly, it's just that the Flyers have no options, nor can they pair someone with say Chara while they learn, the best they can do is pair them with Gudas - and of course Gordon pairs Gudas with Hagg.

Hakstol was sheltering Sanheim because his offensive game was way ahead of his defensive game, Myers is more balanced, and is paired with Ghost getting easier minutes. It's not that I'd want 3-4 30 year old veteran defensemen, but one "Kimmo" would make a huge difference on this team.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I had taped Hockey Central at noon on Friday because I would not be around to watch it. I wanted to see what they said about the Flyers since they were playing the Leafs. And I have to share this. Brian Burke:

"I TOLD Fletch when he became GM, I really think they need to get back to their DNA in Philly. It's what the fans want and expect".

Marek: "I don't think they have the lineup"

Burke: "The go get them because the fans there like hockey a certain way. Not saying to go back to the 70's, but fans like black and blue hockey and they are not getting it now."

They praised Renberg for being underrated, fwiw.

Also said they have not drafted and developed their top D. Always traded for them. Of course mentioned goaltending always being an issue but with Hart that looks like it could different.

Oh, and Burke also said Sanheim did not really progress after being drafted but is looking great now. But then said he was great in Calgary. So not really sure what he was talking about because he was good in the AHL too.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
also this tidbit.

When the Flyers traded for Shawn Antoski, Clarke faxed Burke who was working with the NHL and who had drafted Shawn. "Dear Burkie, just traded for Shawn Antoski. We can not find a helmet that fits him. Can you look in your closet and find one of your old helmets or else we are going to have to use a drywall bucket"

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Oh, and Burke also said Sanheim did not really progress after being drafted but is looking great now. But then said he was great in Calgary. So not really sure what he was talking about because he was good in the AHL too.
He only had maybe the best statistical season for a WHL defenseman after he was drafted.

Aka I only watched the WJCs and he didn’t play so he must not be good.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I had taped Hockey Central at noon on Friday because I would not be around to watch it. I wanted to see what they said about the Flyers since they were playing the Leafs. And I have to share this. Brian Burke:

"I TOLD Fletch when he became GM, I really think they need to get back to their DNA in Philly. It's what the fans want and expect".

Marek: "I don't think they have the lineup"

Burke: "The go get them because the fans there like hockey a certain way. Not saying to go back to the 70's, but fans like black and blue hockey and they are not getting it now."

They praised Renberg for being underrated, fwiw.

Also said they have not drafted and developed their top D. Always traded for them. Of course mentioned goaltending always being an issue but with Hart that looks like it could different.

Burke is a f***ing moron and has no business talking about the Flyers.

Reactions: Curufinwe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad