Travis Sanheim Discussion Thread Part Two

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
Ghost is a top pair RD.. so...
Maybe with the right partner. He played well with Provorov last year but poorly this year. But the bigger issue is the other D pairs. Cant keep Hagg/Gudas/Amac or potentially Morin on the same pair.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Maybe with the right partner. He played well with Provorov last year but poorly this year. But the bigger issue is the other D pairs. Cant keep Hagg/Gudas/Amac or potentially Morin on the same pair.

Provorov Ghost
Sanheim Gudas
Morin Myers

We have the players. We just need to use them correctly.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
They literally played like 10 games together to start the year. It’s a completely meaningless sample size. Then after that Ghost has played with Hagg, MacDonald, and Folin...

The D pairs are easy.

Provorov-Ghost
Sanheim-Gudas
Morin-Myers

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I find it pretty amusing how different his utilization is pre-after 18th of Dec 2018.

Pre 18th DEC: ATOI 16:06 per game
18th DEC and on: ATOI 21:23 per game

48qW2E8.png

How can 2 groups of coaching staff be so far from each other evaluation-wise?

Remember, Remember, the 18th of December.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Provorov-Sanheim
Ghost-Myers
Morin-Gudas

Is not nearly as good of a top 6 as I’m seeing bandied about. Talk about orange colored glasses.

Huge need for a stud #1. Then they’ll be good 2-6.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
Provorov Ghost
Sanheim Gudas
Morin Myers

We have the players. We just need to use them correctly.
More important than correct usage is just usage. I haven't checked but that group might be the least experienced D group in the league. It's a tough position in the NHL and although they are talented and skilled enough in my opinion to be a Cup contending D they need way more experience including playoffs.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
More important than correct usage is just usage. I haven't checked but that group might be the least experienced D group in the league. It's a tough position in the NHL and although they are talented and skilled enough in my opinion to be a Cup contending D they need way more experience including playoffs.

It's an incredibly young defense, I get it, but just brining in an experienced hand because it's an incredibly young defense is the kind of perilous decision making that leads to guys like AMac getting signed to 5 year contracts. If you can land a guy who makes sense in regards to caphit, asset cost, and on ice impact, then sure, but there's still the ED to contend with, so you'd better be sure you're not pissing away young talent that's going to be experienced talent very soon just for the sake of some "experience" now.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
They literally played like 10 games together to start the year. It’s a completely meaningless sample size. Then after that Ghost has played with Hagg, MacDonald, and Folin...

The D pairs are easy.

Provorov-Ghost
Sanheim-Gudas
Morin-Myers
Certainly you have to be careful with small sample sizes. He could've been injured, have something going on off the ice who knows. However, rewatch some of those games, he was terrible and that was hardly meaningless as our record this year wi th h him on the first pair stunk. He had to be moved off. Although he might be able to recreate last years magic maybe teams figured out how to attack those two. I think moving Meyers to the 1st pair could make both the 1st and 3rd pair better. We have to see how they play together for a decent sampling.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Provorov-Sanheim
Ghost-Myers
Morin-Gudas

Is not nearly as good of a top 6 as I’m seeing bandied about. Talk about orange colored glasses.

Huge need for a stud #1. Then they’ll be good 2-6.

Look
If I become GM I swear to God I will trade for Spurgeon and Koivu to give you a RHD for the top pair and a capable middle 6 center as Patrick-Frost insurance. That precludes us getting Karlsson/Panarin but I just want you to feel secure.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Look
If I become GM I swear to God I will trade for Spurgeon and Koivu to give you a RHD for the top pair and a capable middle 6 center as Patrick-Frost insurance. That precludes us getting Karlsson/Panarin but I just want you to feel secure.
Odd post. You’re acting as if I don’t want to take care of those in free agency with Karlsson & one of the top 4 available centers.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Certainly you have to be careful with small sample sizes. He could've been injured, have something going on off the ice who knows. However, rewatch some of those games, he was terrible and that was hardly meaningless as our record this year wi th h him on the first pair stunk. He had to be moved off. Although he might be able to recreate last years magic maybe teams figured out how to attack those two. I think moving Meyers to the 1st pair could make both the 1st and 3rd pair better. We have to see how they play together for a decent sampling.
1) Provorov was easily the worse of the two for the first half of the year
2) It wasn't left together long enough to judge anything
3) He didn't have to be moved off, far worse lines/pairs have been kept together for much longer on this team
4) If Ghost can't play on the top pair then Myers sure as f*** can't.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Charlie O'Connor:
Flyers 4, Islanders 1: 10 things we learned from a...
The numbers say that he’s already high-end. By Evolving Wild’s Goals Above Replacement metric, Sanheim entered yesterday’s game with 11.0 GAR, easily leading the Flyers’ defense. In addition, that total ranked him tied for 19th in the league among defensemen, equal to Ryan McDonagh and just ahead of Colton Parayko. He’s 30th in 5-on-5 Points/60 at the position. Sanheim is 13th in RelTM impact on Expected Goal differential. This isn’t just a player receiving first-pair usage — this is a player performing like a legitimate first-pair defenseman in his second NHL season at age 22.

P%ssy nerd who got benched for Brandon Manning.

19th in GAR puts him in the top third of top-pair defensemen in the league.

Reactions: Amorgus and Stizzle

flyersjim73

Nov 19, 2011
Philly
If Provy, Ghost, Sanheim, Myers, Morin, and Gudas are the six players in the lineup, there are more good options than bad.

I can deal with however you want to split up the pairings if you put those six out there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Appleyard

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
What is troubling about sanheim is that he is playing so well, and that has not rubbed off on provorov who is still not a advanced stat darling. Provorov is a concern going forward

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Sanheim before Wilson got put in charge of the D: 25 games, 6 points, 16:07 ATOI

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?agg...ilter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=timeOnIcePerGame

Afterwards - 41 games, 23 points, 20:36 ATOI

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?agg...r=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=points,goals,assists

Flyers Name Rick Wilson Assistant Coach

I can imagine the kind of conversations Wilson had with his old buddy Fletcher about how Hak had been handling the defense. No surprise that Hak was kicked out on his ear less than two weeks later.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Sanheim isn't an advanced stat darling since he started to play with Provorov against top competition.
A short scoring streak doesn't change that.

Under Gordon
Sanheim - Corsi 47.26 SCF/SA/60, 24.7/25.8; HDCF/CA/60, 9.4/10.0
Provorov - Corsi 47.86 SCF/SA/60, 25.6/26.3; HDCF/CA/60, 10.6/9.8

Ghost - Corsi 51.59 SCF/SA/60, 27.1/25.9; HDCF/CA/60, 10.3/9.7
Gudas - Corsi 48.57 SCF/SA/60, 22.5/27.1; HDCF/CA/60, 9.3/9.9
MacDonald - Corsi 47.49 SCF/SA/60, 23.7/26.4; HDCF/CA/60, 10.2/8.9

Myers - Corsi 49.21 SCF/SA/60, 20.8/26.4; HDCF/CA/60, 9.5/12.4

Hagg - Corsi 41.90 SCF/SA/60, 23.0/34.3; HDCF/CA/60, 9.1/14.8

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I don't know how you can look at those numbers against top competition, see they're perfectly comparable to good dmen facing lesser competition, and proclaim he isn't an advanced stats darling.

Reactions: Starat327

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad