Travis Sanheim Discussion Thread Part Two

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
It's hilarious in a painful way (like being killed by a falling piano), the many ways Hak stunk.

- Overplayed goalies
- Useless system
- Awful communicator
- Loved veteran trash
- Played trash way too much
- Played trash over skilled youth
- Terrible in game adjustments
- Utterly baffling promotions/demotions
- Goofy face I wanted to constantly punch

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I'm sure I missed some other failures too.

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
Gordon isn't great but as has been stated, is at least smart enough to play the good players, youth and slot guys better.

He's a Mensa member compared to man-Beet though :laugh:

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
He really is a bad coach. We are regularly outplayed but our star power is winning games.

Esentially the only difference between Hak and Gordon is that Gordon actually plays the best players and doesnt roll the fourth line out for 20 minutes a game. Oh and he doesnt appear to run goaltenders into the ground either.
To me...that’s a good start. You’d be surprised on how many fan bases feel their best young players are not utilized correctly.

Reactions: Curufinwe

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
This is obviously just Hart and better luck. Flyers rank league-wise under both coaching groups (pre x after 18th of DEC):

O0vxtdW.png

Data per nhl.com

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
It’s really shocking that a defenseman that had historic production in the WHL is producing at this rate in the NHL, with appropriate deployment.

RightEmotionalAmericanbadger-size_restricted.gif

The scary part is he’s got another level or two offensively. Two of his best attributes, passing (stretch passes) and joining the rush as a trailer, are nerfed playing with Provy. He is great activating in the OZ as well as we saw last night. At the moment, there is still a slight hesitation (wonder why?) on his part to get involved. Once he gets fully acclimated he is going to be a bigger force. We haven’t even seen what he’s truly capable of as a PPQB at this level (in which he was phenomenal at the Junior level).

I don’t wanna throw out numbers because they are meaningless without a coach believing that he offers more than Provorov (offensively at least), but he has the talent to be a top 10 point producer someday.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Sanheim - Gudas ranked 4th.

Notice something about that list, almost none of those are 1st pairs.
The strength of competition has a big impact on defensemen metrics (probably far more than for forwards).
You can see this just looking at Sanheim's numbers after he was moved up to pair with Provorov and faced team's top lines.

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017

I really do think he could end up being the best of all the Flyers young Dmen. Though I did say that a few years back too... and have loved his game since draft+1.

He has such a rare combo of size, skating, skill and mentality.

Think of when they were all unknowns. We were confident that sanheim offensive acumen could even trump ghost but he had the physical tools that ghost didn’t have—size and effortless skating. We are seeing the payout on that.

I think sanheim clearly will be able to anchor a pair that will match up favorably against most opposition lines. Being able to ice him and provorov for 45 minutes a night is a very good option going forward.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It'd be nice if we could have both Sanheim and Ghost being used properly.

Sanheim shouldn't be on the right side and Ghost has been horribly misused all year, everything from low icetime to garbage partners to wrong situations.

We could legit have two top 10 offensive defensemen on the team.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Ghost's struggles aren't all about usage or partners. He just hasn't been as good in 18-19 and he was in 17-18.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Ghost's struggles aren't all about usage or partners. He just hasn't been as good in 18-19 and he was in 17-18.
Of course not but it’s exaggerating the problem. He hasn’t been as good this year as he was last year, but he also hasn’t been as bad as his stats would suggest and he hasn’t had a legit chance to bounce back.

Reactions: Appleyard

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Notice something about that list, almost none of those are 1st pairs.
The strength of competition has a big impact on defensemen metrics (probably far more than for forwards).
You can see this just looking at Sanheim's numbers after he was moved up to pair with Provorov and faced team's top lines.

5/10 are first pairs: #'s 1,2,3,5,8.

#4 probably should be the first pair. #7 & 9 feature solid 1Ds, so they're pretty close to 1st pair quality.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
I find it pretty amusing how different his utilization is pre-after 18th of Dec 2018.

Pre 18th DEC: ATOI 16:06 per game
18th DEC and on: ATOI 21:23 per game

48qW2E8.png

How can 2 groups of coaching staff be so far from each other evaluation-wise?

Reactions: BillDineen

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
I find it pretty amusing how different his utilization is pre-after 18th of Dec 2018.

Pre 18th DEC: ATOI 16:06 per game
18th DEC and on: ATOI 21:23 per game

48qW2E8.png

How can 2 groups of coaching staff be so far from each other evaluation-wise?

You got this all wrong. Sandy just finally started listening to what Hak was telling him as soon as Hak was fired.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
I think the issue is 1rhd. I think they are hoping Meyers once he gets his feet wet will be permanently paired with Provorov and then they can return Sanheim to play with Gudas and put Ghost with Morin and Hagg in the press box. Each pair has a good skater, puck mover and solid defender.

Reactions: Tripod

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad