Travis Sanheim Discussion Thread Part Two

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
The difference is, he said Sanheim IS one of the best Dmen in the league. Not WILL BE......but IS.

There is a big difference.

I am siding with Ghosts Beer. Sanheim IS NOT one of the best dmen in the league. But does he have the raw talent and skill to be one someday? Yes, I think he does. But that day is not today. And that was what GB was saying.
Sanhiem’s underlining stats are some of the best in the league. Now is he on par with the standard top defenders. Not yet. That’s just the eye test. Two things I see. Unreal talent and instincts. Just like I saw in girlie and coots. Very subtle things. And two. Since hak was fired he is playing with more snarl. He has the talent size and skating to be a very special player when 25. We will see. Does he have Howe type talent. I think so. Will he be a hall of famer who knows.

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018
lets just stop before comparing Sanheim to Marc Howe.

Howe was a great player. If it weren't for Paul Coffey and Ray Bourque he would have won a couple Norris trophies during the 80's.

You're slighting Marc Howe by comparing anyone on the current roster to him.

Johnk0728

Dec 28, 2016
Travis Sanheim just started playing 20 minutes a game this week. To call him one of the best Dman in the league right now is ridiculous. I love him and think he is talented as hell. And I loved the sneaky slash he gave yesterday when a Blue Jacket buzzed Hart. The Flyers are a very soft team. Seeing him show some snarl and edge is encouraging especially for playoffs.

Johnk0728

Dec 28, 2016
You could still do it for the time being. Gudas is having a good year. Provy, Ghost, Sanheim, and Gudas should be the top 4 in some order. Give Hägg and MacDonald and Folin sub 15 minutes a night.

Myers should be making his debut soon too. That one is happen before you go spending an arm and a leg on a RHD.

The Flyers need a vet NHL #1 dman. It would slot everyone where they should be and this young corps would benefit from some veteran guidance. Having 5 young Dman is not a recipe for playoff success. It's too much too ask.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The Flyers need a vet NHL #1 dman. It would slot everyone where they should be and this young corps would benefit from some veteran guidance. Having 5 young Dman is not a recipe for playoff success. It's too much too ask.
Getting that guy is the issue.

Outbid team for Karlsson?

Provy Karlsson
Sanheim Myers
Morin Ghost
Hagg

But for sure, Hextall not getting these kids a GOOD vet to lean on was a big miss. Instead they had to lug around AMac for multiple years.

Reactions: Hakroach

RANKKA

Give Glaude the world
Apr 11, 2017
EU

Provy Karlsson
Sanheim Myers
Morin Ghost
Hagg

But for sure, Hextall not getting these kids a GOOD vet to lean on was a big miss. Instead they had to lug around AMac for multiple years.
PLVFa.jpg

sregdoor

Jun 22, 2018
Joining this discussion late at least the portion of with the Mark Howe comparison and related comments. One of the most telling stats for Howe is Glen Cochrane was a +42 the season he was Howe's defensive partner. I love Sanheim and hope he continues to develop and progress toward a Howe level. The biggest comparison I see right now is the wrist shot. Gordon has to put him in situations to take advantage of Sanheim's wrister.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014

Howe was a great player. If it weren't for Paul Coffey and Ray Bourque he would have won a couple Norris trophies during the 80's.

Mark Howe has to be one of the most underrated players in the history of hockey. He’s an all-time great, & Sanheim isn’t even the #1 on a subpar defense corps.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve long been a Sanheim fan, even though his lack of assertiveness at times is extremely frustrating. Hopefully he’s taking the next step.

magnumpi

Apr 22, 2018
Mark Howe has to be one of the most underrated players in the history of hockey. He’s an all-time great, & Sanheim isn’t even the #1 on a subpar defense corps.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve long been a Sanheim fan, even though his lack of assertiveness at times is extremely frustrating. Hopefully he’s taking the next step.

Its like comparing Nolan Patrick to Lindros.

In the annals of NHL history, Howe is vastly underappreciated.
He was the best player on the 80's team.

magnumpi

Apr 22, 2018

Provy Karlsson
Sanheim Myers
Morin Ghost
Hagg

I'd rather get a veteran guy with more of an edge.
I can't think of name really, other than like a Subban.

I'm poor on names these days but i'd think something like a Rob Blake, Adam Foote, Derien Hatcher in his prime, Chelios.
more of 2 way game with an edge.
Already have a softie in Ghost.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Its like comparing Nolan Patrick to Lindros.

In the annals of NHL history, Howe is vastly underappreciated.
He was the best player on the 80's team.
I think both Howe & Kerr are insanely under appreciated. Phenomenal players who unfortunately were plagued by injuries.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007

Provy Karlsson
Sanheim Myers
Morin Ghost
Hagg

I would be happy if they acquired a former #1 dman for the young guys to play with like the kings and panthers did for Doughty and Ekblad when they acquired a guy like Willie Mitchell or Brian Campbell.

Duncan keith type but that is a lot of salary for a mentor.
Edler?

magnumpi

Apr 22, 2018
I think both Howe & Kerr are insanely under appreciated. Phenomenal players who unfortunately were plagued by injuries.

Howe is probably a combination of injuries
being the son of Gordie Howe- the ignorant probably think he's overrated because he was Gordie's son, but its really the opposite.
And Howe played in the shadow of Bourque and Coffey during the 80's. Coffey was piling up ridiculous numbers. I think he had 48 goals one season.
Not to mention guys like Potvin and Larry Robinson were still going strong.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I would be happy if they acquired a former #1 dman for the young guys to play with like the kings and panthers did for Doughty and Ekblad when they acquired a guy like Willie Mitchell or Brian Campbell.

Duncan keith type but that is a lot of salary for a mentor.
Edler?

I just don't think you do that until Big Sam and Myers get up there and you get a look at how they do. There are plenty of vets on the team and while a vet mentor on the blueline would be nice in theory, he is also going to get in the way of one of those guys, and I'm just not sure it's even necessary. You could trade Gudas for someone, but couldn't Gudas just perform that role?

A trade could work, but I'd wait. There's no reason to still be sending Andy out there, so bring Myers up in his place, bring Big Sam later when he is ready and give him some games, see how it goes. We aren't going anywhere this year anyway.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

His name is Mark Howe.

Reactions: Tripod

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
I just don't think you do that until Big Sam and Myers get up there and you get a look at how they do. There are plenty of vets on the team and while a vet mentor on the blueline would be nice in theory, he is also going to get in the way of one of those guys, and I'm just not sure it's even necessary. You could trade Gudas for someone, but couldn't Gudas just perform that role?

A trade could work, but I'd wait. There's no reason to still be sending Andy out there, so bring Myers up in his place, bring Big Sam later when he is ready and give him some games, see how it goes. We aren't going anywhere this year

I agree it’s time to move on from andy

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Howe is probably a combination of injuries
being the son of Gordie Howe- the ignorant probably think he's overrated because he was Gordie's son, but its really the opposite.
And Howe played in the shadow of Bourque and Coffey during the 80's. Coffey was piling up ridiculous numbers. I think he had 48 goals one season.
Not to mention guys like Potvin and Larry Robinson were still going strong.

Comparing Sanheim to Howe is kind of like comparing Sanheim to Erik Karlsson.

Reactions: Tripod

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Sanheim has been our No. 1 defenseman this season even if he hasn't been used like one. That alone -- being the best defenseman on your team -- is a reasonable standard to call someone "one of the best defensemen in the league."

His metrics are off-the-charts fantastic. As JoJo mentioned, they have been from the start of his career. How good are they? He's the only person in the history of hockey who has been able to carry Andrew MacDonald to genuinely positive possession numbers. .

I'm not the biggest slave to metrics. When the guys at BSH said that Matt Carle was just like Ryan Suter, I just laughed. Because f*** Matt Carle. But Sanheim has always passed the eye test to me. He looks ridiculously calm and poised and just makes quietly effective plays in the defensive zone. Does he make mistakes? Sure. He was late in covering his man on one of the BJs' goals yesterday, but that was after he made a tremendous play while pressured by two forwards to get the puck out of danger and over to Provorov, who fumbled it back.

Anyway, Mark Howe was one of my favorite players too. He was 77 times the player Paul Coffey was, who stole two Norris Trophies from him. Sanheim reminds me a lot of Howe, and probably more than any other player I've seen since then. As great as Howe was, his name isn't sacred. If people can compare Rasmus Dahlin to Lidstrom you don't have to get your panties in a bunch if I bring up Howe's name.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas

A trade could work, but I'd wait. There's no reason to still be sending Andy out there, so bring Myers up in his place, bring Big Sam later when he is ready and give him some games, see how it goes. We aren't going anywhere this year anyway.

I really like Muzzin and it seems like he should be available but I'm fine rolling with Ghost/Provy/Sanheim/Myers/Morin/Gudas/Hagg/Friedman.

Ghost will be 26 next season and has had seasons where he has been one of the best players in the league. Let's stop pretending that he needs a mentor.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I hate punishing players for something they cannot control. I get people don’t want to say he’s great because he doesn’t have the gaudy point totals or because he doesn’t log 20 minutes a night, but the only situation he consistently plays, he crushes. He doesn’t PK. He doesn’t play on the PP. He hasn’t been a top priority in 4v4 situations. You can count on one hand how many OT shifts he’s taken in his career.

It’s not his fault Bozo held him to some ridiculous standards and NEVER rewarded his good play or that they continue to turn a blind eye toward Provorov being quite possibly the worst PP regular in the league for 3 years now. The only thing we have to thank Hak for in regards to Sanheim is the sweetheart deal he’s going to sign this offseason.

Oh and put him on the left side. End this RD experiment. No top defensemen other than Gostisbehere play their off-side at a high level. There’s a reason for that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad