Travis Hamonic or Luke Schenn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedBaronIndian

Jul 9, 2010
The more you're on the ice the more you're involved in the play the you have the puck more giveaways you generate.

Note Keith, Seabrook in the top 12...

and Keith, Seabrook have been atrocious this year until the last few games, a big reason why Blackhawks are fighting for a playoff spot. Brian Campbell has been our best Dman.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
How about both fan bases be happy with the player they got, no need to compare.

Personally, I take the ELITE defensive d when in his prime, but that's preference since I would hope I have a #1/2 D's in the lineup that are great offensively.

man are folks underrating Hamonic's defensive ability. he was drafted as a ELITE shut down d man per NYI scouts in 2008. He has developed his offensive game. He was drafted some say to off set not drafting Schenn at #5 in the draft. Remember the NYI traded down to collect assets and drafted Josh Bailey. Think the Isles are happy whom they picked in the first and now the 2nd round.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Hamonic was the best young defenseman to play against the Canucks this year.

No doubt Schenn will become a steady, solid NHL defenseman but Hamonic should be a star.

I think any team which was able to pick up one of these players would go with Hamonic.

Bad News Bears

All goalies be trash
May 22, 2009
Australia
This is the only time I've seen Schenn do what that guy is talking about:

Boston's second goal in that video, obviously what he was referring to.

Comparing any player with 40 something games to a player with 200 and something games just isn't smart. It isn't fair to either side.

After 1 game, Fabian Brunnstrom was on pace to score 3g per game. Lets try and look at age and GP rather than just 2 players from the same draft.

Porpoise McPants

May 9, 2010
People keep stressing that Hamonic was drafted for his defensive ability.
So was Schenn...about 50 picks earlier.
Hamonic's potential is exciting. And his play this year has been great.
Schenn is less than a year older, is far and away the leafs best defenceman, leads the league in hits while being incredible positionally sound, and is up there in blocks too. All this has been said, I know, but I feel like it's not registering with some people.
Schenn has effectively shut down Ovechkin.
Hamonic will surpass Schenn, or already has surpassed him, in certain facets of the game (creativity inside the offensive zone, skating).
But it seems like Schenn will always be bigger, stronger, smarter and more effective in the defensive and neutral zones.
Schenn is already one of the best pure defensive players in the league..this is no longer a point of contention.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
People keep stressing that Hamonic was drafted for his defensive ability.
So was Schenn...about 50 picks earlier.
Hamonic's potential is exciting. And his play this year has been great.
Schenn is less than a year older, is far and away the leafs best defenceman, leads the league in hits while being incredible positionally sound, and is up there in blocks too. All this has been said, I know, but I feel like it's not registering with some people.
Schenn has effectively shut down Ovechkin.
Hamonic will surpass Schenn, or already has surpassed him, in certain facets of the game (creativity inside the offensive zone, skating).
But it seems like Schenn will always be bigger, stronger, smarter and more effective in the defensive and neutral zones.
Schenn is already one of the best pure defensive players in the league..this is no longer a point of contention.

Wow so a player shuts down Ovechkin for one game and he's all of a sudden clear-cut winner forever? Ah.. gotta love some people's train of thought.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'd like to see a couple more seasons of Hamonic before I'd venture which of the two (he or Schenn) is "better". Schenn's a safer pick right now because he's proven over three full NHL seasons what he can and can't do. Hamonic's more of a wild card because while he's off to a great start, it's still unknown how much better he can get.

This is almost a vintage HF-type comparison of "current ability versus potential", where Schenn is playing the role of "current ability" and Hamonic is being judged on "potential".

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
This is almost a vintage HF-type comparison of "current ability versus potential", where Schenn is playing the role of "current ability" and Hamonic is being judged on "potential".

Yeah exactly. It's hard to answer this question for that reason because there is so much left to be seen with these two. If you're a betting man, you'd probably think that Hamonic has the greater upside. If you're risk aversive, Schenn is a great safe pick. It's easy for armchair GMs in here to say they'd rather have Hamonic, but Schenn's more proven, and, if there was more on the line I'd like to think people would prefer Schenn.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
and Keith, Seabrook have been atrocious this year until the last few games, a big reason why Blackhawks are fighting for a playoff spot. Brian Campbell has been our best Dman.

Point still stands. They still led the Blackhawks in giveaways last season in the regular season and in the playoffs when they were a powerhouse. It's the nature of the position to have the puck and therefore be in positions to give it away more.

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
Wow so a player shuts down Ovechkin for one game and he's all of a sudden clear-cut winner forever? Ah.. gotta love some people's train of thought.
People sometimes like to use facts to reinforce their arguments, it's really not uncommon. Shutting down Ovechkin is a pretty big defensive responsibility for a 21 year old. So if he wants to include it to strengthen his argument, then more power to him. Did you look past the other points he focused on? It's not like he stated Schenn's a great defenceman because he shut down Ovechkin, without stating other points.

I'll take Schenn. He's going to be a top defenceman for a long time, that will always face the other teams top lines. He has great leadership qualities, and is going to be the premier shutdown defenceman in the NHL. Don't get me wrong Hamonic is a great prospect. I've actually seen a lot from him in the WHL where he looked very good. Like everyone I also got a good look at the World Juniors where he fit in very well. I have gotten a fairly limited viewing of him in the NHL, but judging by this thread he's been a glowing success. This would be a much better thread in two or three years, when we could get a better read on each player with potential laid aside.

Last edited:

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
Here's something safe to say - Hamonic brings the list of break-out players from 2008 NHL-draft to ... ridiculously long.

Add to the list of established players from that draft from this year (alone): Pietrangelo, Wilson, Sbisa, Eberle, Ennis, Carlson, Stepan, Hamonic, McMillan, Demers. It's incredible, the number of top-4 dmen that got established from the 2008 draft, and there are probably more to come.

I'm not interested in comparing Hamonic to Schenn. I'm just psyched we'll have Hamonic to show for a 2nd round that included the more highly-touted Aaron Ness and Corey Trivino, both who seem to have stalled.

For those interested in the comparisons, however, there will be a method for deciding. You can bet that Hamonic and Schenn are going to directly compete for the Canadian Team for the next couple of Olympics. There'll be a need for one and only one of the two.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Doug Height

Okposwag
Feb 17, 2008
LI
lol @ the army of Leafs fans that had to come over to the Isles board to try and tell us how Schenn's better.

vezna*

no, his point is that you're comparing a prospect to a proven 21 yr old whose job is to shut down the opposing team's top line. ask the isles fans what happened to tavares last isles-leafs game :sarcasm:

lol @ the army of Leafs fans that had to come over to the Isles board to try and tell us how Schenn's better.
did they double the post count there? lol

joeyp

id take Hamonic easily, simply because he's as good as Schenn right now in his first season, Plus schenn is not much on offense where Hamonic seems to have a clue

I like the Shea Weber lite comparison as well though I think it may take years for Hamonic to grow into that type of role, Schenn is more hype than substance at this point, and he is in his 3rd year, he has skills but Schenn isnt near as good as Toronto Hype makes him out to be

vezna*

id take Hamonic easily, simply because he's as good as Schenn right now in his first season, Plus schenn is not much on offense where Hamonic seems to have a clue

I like the Shea Weber lite comparison as well though I think it may take years for Hamonic to grow into that type of role, Schenn is more hype than substance at this point, and he is in his 3rd year, he has skills but Schenn isnt near as good as Toronto Hype makes him out to be

Schenn isn't as bad as Toronto Haters makes him out to be

Stephen23

Aug 22, 2009
Halifax, NS

That's completely fine. But if Hamonic has a sophomore slump next year like Schenn did last year/Myers this year - don't change your opinion. As Luke said explaining his second year slump - It's easy for players to do well in their rookie year because they are allowed to experiment and not much is expected of them. I am not saying Hamonic will be in a slump - all I am saying is let's see how he develops when more is expected from him next year/his leash is tightened.

Im Old Gregggg

Jun 22, 2010
Kitchener, On

in his 3rd year so far schenn is league leader in hits and top 10 in blocked shots for dmen, has played solid positional shutdown hockey (against teams TOP players) and it looks like he may have some more untapped offensive potential than 1st expected

maybe be a little overated by leafs fans but is already a leader and the teams best dmen at 21... he is well on his way to becoming one of (if not THE) premier shutdown dman in the league for years to come
that being said i think hamonic is great to interesting to see who will have the bigger impact but imo i am very happy knowing schenn will prob be the face of our franchise for the next decade (knock on wood)

to the leaf haters watch a game ........ it is clear schenn is not a typical thug stay at home dman, he is a pretty special hard to come by player in his own right, it doesnt matter he wont be putting up 40 pts.. pair him with a solid pmd and he will dominate other teams for every prime foote/ regher there are 50 komisareks, schenn aint one of those 50

Last edited:

Isles_Guy*

Nailed it.

Just to add a bit regarding Schenn.

At the start of the season, Schenn looked to be really looking to work on his offensive game. He was rushing the puck up the ice at a good rate, and would often carry it into the zone, and was very good at this. He was making a lot of slick moves, and showing of some really soft hands, and it seemed to me that he was taking a page out of Kaberle's book. As the season progressed, all of that seemed to come to a halt. He started playing it very safe, and no longer looked to take any offensive risks. I was a bit disappointed with that because I was thrilled with what i was seeing earlier on in the season.

Whether Wilson asked him to cut it out and just focus on being completely reliable defensively, I don't know, but i hope he starts doing those things that can make him more of a two way asset. Schenn definitely has some tools that could make him useful offensively (but limited) and I think with some work he could more than just a pure shutdown defenseman. He has a good pass, decent vision, excellent hands, and is extremely good at protecting the puck and keeping hold of it. With that said, his shot is simply not very good. He takes a long time winding up and getting set which is quite the hindrance. His speed is also an issue. Good offensive defensemen rely on their speed to both create chances, as well as getting back to their own zone when in trouble. Unfortunately, Schenn just doesn't have the speed to allow him to take those risks without putting his team in danger.

I'm really hoping that Schenn is able to develop a respectable offensive game. His own zone play is very, very good, and he is still young, so there certainly is time to work on some things that could make him a much better player. Good defensive defensemen are always useful. Schenn is one of the best hitters in the league from the back end, is a great shot blocker, and plays a very smart game. With that said, a guy that can provide a similar level of defense AND a good amount of offense are certainly going to be more valuable in this league. Hamonic looks like he is going to bring a game similar to Schenn in the defensive zone (though probably not quite as dominant) but will be several steps ahead of Schenn in the offensive zone.

They are both still quite young, and have a ways to go before their full potential is realized, so it really can go any way. I'm very happy with Schenn as a Leaf fan, and have every hope for him to become a bit more of two way threat. He has provided very good defense for the Leafs since he stepped into the league at 19. He also seems to be a great leader out there and could be the face of the team down the road. Hamonic has looked amazing so far in his young career, and has been absolutely vital to the defense of the Islanders. You really can't help but love the type of hockey he plays. Undoubtedly two of the better young defensemen in the league, and could be the cornerstones of their respective defense corps for the next many years.

This!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

to me this post absolutely nailed it, They are both very good but 2 way capability to me give Hamonic the edge

Isles_Guy*

That's completely fine. But if Hamonic has a sophomore slump next year like Schenn did last year/Myers this year - don't change your opinion. As Luke said explaining his second year slump - It's easy for players to do well in their rookie year because they are allowed to experiment and not much is expected of them. I am not saying Hamonic will be in a slump - all I am saying is let's see how he develops when more is expected from him next year/his leash is tightened.

Id say the best reason for Hamonic not to slump will be the Presence of Streit, Id fully expect Hamonic to gain from our Great Mentor and actually do better,

Schenn may have a harder time with all the focus that the fans used to put on Kaberle, now squarely on Luke..... it may be too much undue pressure for a 22 year old

Porpoise McPants

May 9, 2010
People keep classifying this debate as one of potential vs. proof. That's true, in one sense (Schenn has played way more NHL games).
But
Like I said a few posts ago, Schenn is less than a year older!
The fact that he has played so many more NHL at such a young age is a testament to his rare on-ice maturity and understanding of the game.
Hamonic has tons of untapped potential. So does Schenn. Schenn just has a lot of already-tapped potential as well. The sings point to continuing improvement for Schenn, and it is baffling to me that people treat him like a fully developed player.
He is a top five pick in his third year who has (without a doubt) exceeded expectations.

Here's a pretty goal for kicks

BennyBST

Apr 16, 2007
Fairfield CT
I have seen both and I would take Schenn everyday of the week

We got Hamonic as a steal in that draft. Definitely lessens the blow of picking Bailey.

I still don't have a problem with the Bailey selection, he's getting a lot better defensively, has gotten considerably stronger and has shown offensive flashes. (however those streaks are far between) I would love to see him stay consistent in his game. If he continues to improve defensively and his offense gets better Islander fans will certainly take a 45 pt two way forward. I can't blame Bailey for his development pace, but the Islanders for letting him play his whole rookie season in the NHL vs. a 9 game stint. The Islanders have seemed to learn their lesson, as they did return Nino and de Haan back to Juniors. I wouldve liked to have seen Bailey get returned to Windsor after 9 games, win a mem cup and play in the 09' WJC. The following season I would've had Bailey playing in all zones in Bridgeport, but of course it didn't go that way.

As far as Hamonic vs. Schenn, I'm comfortable enough to say I would take Hamonic 9/10 times over Schenn. Sure it's a little bit of homerism, but I feel that overall Hamonic will become a much better offensive defenseman as well as a tougher one vs. Schenn who's only real advantage over Hamonic may be his defensive positioning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad