Travis Hamonic or Luke Schenn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Porpoise McPants

May 9, 2010
I think most people realize that Schenn hasn't reached full potential, but I don't think offensively he will grow that much. He basically will be a great shut down defenseman who will get 20-30 points. .

You're right, Schenn will never get close to Stevens' offensive numbers.
Here's my beef - you say he will be a great shutdown d-man. I, and many others, say he's already a great shutdown d-man. We agree he's 21 and will continue to improve for many years. Let's say he peaks at age 26. That's 5 more years of improvement. Let's say his offence peaks at 30 points. Where will his defence peak? He's already dominant down low, and has proven his dominance against the best (literally) players in the league. Forget offensive growth for a moment..what will his defensive growth yield? Something scary I'll bet, considering the player he is at 21.
He's been playing for 3 years already because he was ready coming out of juniors. Hamonic wasn't. That's the difference between them..its not a matter of random circumstance.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
I don't know where you got those numbers.

Luke Schenn - 6'2 229 lbs

Travis Hamonic - 6'2 208 lbs

Just sayin'.

Schenn is like 240 lbs now which is just scary. Oddly enough, even with adding 10-15 lbs over the off-season, he still managed to increase his foot speed.

I think this off-season, you will see him focus less on weight and more on increasing offense skills such as shooting, passing, stichhandling/skating.

KlattNazty

Feb 3, 2011
Schenn is like 240 lbs now which is just scary. Oddly enough, even with adding 10-15 lbs over the off-season, he still managed to increase his foot speed.

I think this off-season, you will see him focus less on weight and more on increasing offense skills such as shooting, passing, stichhandling/skating.

Biggest thing about luke in my eyes is he struggles when he has a shot he should take. he either tosses it at net (least he gets it on) but he could definitely put up more points if he can learn to shoot more consistently. He strikes me as a player who is dedicated to improving so hopefully he continues to improve in every facet of the game.

Isles_Guy*

Because people are high on Hamonic for the potential he has, not for the player he is right now.

If Luke Schenn never improves and remains the player he is today, he'll be a very good stay at home blueliner for the rest of his career. If Travis Hamonic never improves and remains the exact same player he is today, he's going to be a middle of the pack defenseman who is neither great defensively nor great offensively.

Hence, the reason some folks are high on Hamonic is because what they believe he can become, not necessarily what he currently is. Because even the most diehard Islander fan would readily admit Hamonic, as he is today, is no more than a second pairing player. It's just that he's got the potential (there's that word again) to be more than that.

Thus my comment about this being a classic "current player versus potential" HF debate.

********. Hamonic is better right now than Schenn was his first year in the league.

Schenn will never have the offensive skills Hamonic has already displayed

Schenn is better in certain areas but much of that is due to experience with the teams and players, which Schenn has had 3 years to learn, and hamonic has yet to

Last edited by a moderator:

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
********. Hamonic is better right now than Schenn was his first year in the league.

Schenn will never have the offensive skills Hamonic has already displayed

Schenn is better in certain areas but much of that is due to experience with the teams and players, which Schenn has had 3 years to learn, and hamonic has yet to

Hamonic is better offensively but he certainly is not better than Schenn right now and Schenn came into the league as an 18 year old.

Exactly how many pure shutdown defensemen come into the league at that age?

msv957

Aug 3, 2005
I have to go with Schenn on this one. Schenn plays in the pressure cooker in Toronto and has played his way through the soph slump and confidence issue all while playing in Toronto. Very impressive and just shows what character Schenn has. This guy is captain material for a decade.

Hamonic looks to be a solid NHL player. I do like his shot from the point, he has a quick and accurate release on his shot. Real good size and is physical. Is he a shut down defenseman like Schenn? Not sure.

birddog*

Umm..What?

I don't see any Isles trolls on the Leafs board. So I have no clue what you are talking about, you probably should have checked to see what I was replying too.

Look within my friend, look within.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
I remember one OT earlier this year, Boudreau was scared to put Ovechkin on the ice as long as Schenn was on it.

Your move.

I doubt that, seeing as OV would truck Schenn over 7 days a week. Hell he does it to pretty much any Dman not named Pronger or Chara.

Porpoise McPants

May 9, 2010
I doubt that, seeing as OV would truck Schenn over 7 days a week. Hell he does it to pretty much any Dman not named Pronger or Chara.

Well, it's the truth m'friend! Schenn shut down ovechkin all game and Boudreau was trying to avoid the matchup in overtime.
So you're saying Schenn is as good as Chara and Pronger?

Wilma

Sep 4, 2006
Hamonic's got more perceived upside because he's a better all-round defenseman and Luke's strength are the defensive tools. Seems to be what your team needs really since they're not identical roles.

Right now, Schenn's the more valuable asset because he IS a better player. Hamonic's got more upside, Schenn's closer to his.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Well, it's the truth m'friend! Schenn shut down ovechkin all game and Boudreau was trying to avoid the matchup in overtime.
So you're saying Schenn is as good as Chara and Pronger?

Shutting down OV this year is not what it used to be. Hamonic did the same thing in our last game against the Caps.

And no, Schenn is nowhere near Chara and Pronger :laugh:

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl

those numbers I found were right off the web. Hamonic can easily get to 230lbs or more. Hamonic was farm grown and he has plenty of room to fill in. so to say, bigger, stronger is a stretch to say the least. Hamonic may even be stronger than Schenn considering Hamonic is a physical freak of nature WHOM WAS DRAFTED TO BE A SHUT DOWN DMAN. Should they arm wrestle? it's a fine line who is stronger IMO....splitting hairs

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Because people are high on Hamonic for the potential he has, not for the player he is right now.

If Luke Schenn never improves and remains the player he is today, he'll be a very good stay at home blueliner for the rest of his career. If Travis Hamonic never improves and remains the exact same player he is today, he's going to be a middle of the pack defenseman who is neither great defensively nor great offensively.

Hence, the reason some folks are high on Hamonic is because what they believe he can become, not necessarily what he currently is. Because even the most diehard Islander fan would readily admit Hamonic, as he is today, is no more than a second pairing player. It's just that he's got the potential (there's that word again) to be more than that.

Thus my comment about this being a classic "current player versus potential" HF debate.

I beg to differ, Isles fans are high on Hamonic's play right now. His potential is potential but us New yorkers live in the what have you done for us lately motto

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Who's the better player right now? Today? Not 5 years from now because most people can't tell you who will win the hockey game tonight.

I will tell you along the boards and in the corners Schenn might be top 5 in the NHL. Forget size. He routinely throws around some of the NHLs biggest and best players like Malkin etc. But way more than him -- does it nightly -- and leads the ENTIRE NHL in hits for a dman (insert NYI fan comment about how hits are a useless stat). He also has 135 blocked shots and is called "captain" by his teammates because of his leadership skills.

People in hockey that have watched and seen hockey a long time will tell you the kid is becoming something special. That said you like Harmonic -- good for you -- but he hasn't accomplished half of what Schenn has and don't pretend he has. And -7 isn't any good no matter who you play for. Just ask Frans Nielson.

man, Hamonic may be the better player right now. (not that huge of a stretch) someone mentioned in this thread earlier that Hamonic's give away ratio is better than Schenn and he absolutely has better offensive abilities and numbers than Schenn while Hamonic plays on probably the most depleted D unit in the league with who, a 24 year andy Macdonald for guidance? Not to mention Hamonic was a kid who grew up on the farms who is one tough hombre like Schenn. Lead fans make it sound like Hamonic plays like MAB back there. He is as sound as one can get already logging huge minutes and really not turning the puck over while planting guys through the glass and fighting whomever.

Hamonic was drafted to be a stud shut down guy, in fact the Isles figured he would be their Scheen when they decided to pass on Schenn at the 2008 draft. Just because the Isles drafted him at #53 does not mean he cant be better. Very curious if Hamonic was a leaf how different this thread would be
listen I know it stings when a top 5 pick has guys in his own draft have more potential or even start their NHL careers showing they may as good as your prized top 5. I understand, now Schenn will have a 15 year career, become captain, maybe win a cup and may become legendary in leaf land but folks open your eyes on Travis Hamonic, since he has been drafted in 2008 his climb upward has been off the charts. He is playing great now and its not about potential. thanks for listening

PsychoDad

Apr 20, 2007
Berlin
I would take a Weber-light over Regehr 2.0.
A rocksolid stay at home d is important but its much easier to get than what Hamonic potentially brings.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
No but Schenn leads the entire NHL in hits! Does that register, wtf has Hamonic done! To be honest comparing the two right now is a bit disrespectful. Schenn is by far and away the better player. The guy is a beast out there, he hits everything that comes his way. The kid is a pure shut down dman who is developing his skating nicely and his quickness with the puck. He isn't going to be flashy with the puck but his skills do get undervalued on here. He does carry the puck out during games quite nicely and has a very good first pass while shutting down the number 1 line. Will Hamonic ever be able to shut down a number one line? That should be the question. Not whether Hamonic and Schenn are at the same level or who's better because we know who's better..Schenn.

Hamonic is already shutting down the other team's #1 lines. open your eyes on Hamonic already. Schenn is a good one no doubt, but hamonic was drafted purely to become a shut down guy, he developed the offensive game plain and simple. Hamonic is one tough kid who logs 1st line minutes already. If the Isles were healthy it would be no stretch he still would be on the #1 unit...He is playing that well .....

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
I won't comment on Hamonic because you may be right and is underrated.

However I beg to differ that their both pegged as ELITE shutdown guys, schenn was said by multiple scouting reports as the BEST shutdown d in over a decade+.

Mckeen’s Draft Guide publisher had to this to say about Luke:

"Luke Schenn might have been one of the best defensive prospects perhaps in the last 20 years. He is the kind of guy to build your defense around."

Very true and thanks for the respectful and open response. Schenn may become the best shut down guy in 20 years and I hope so for leaf fans and maybe the league in general. He is a humble, hard working kid that seems to "get it". Hamonic on the other side is the same way. He is another tough western kid that had to man the families farm at age 14 I believe after his father passed away. Hamonic is mature beyond years and gets it too.

Now going on defensive abilities, Hamonic was drafted to be Schenn light when they drafted him in 2008. The Isles believed from reports that if there was a drop off in defensive abilities between the two it would not be a big enough differance

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
I'd love to hear a pro scout's opinion here. Everyone is stating that Schenn is currently better than Hamonic as if it's an accepted fact. I've watched them both 20-30 times this year and I don't see this to be very cut and dry at all.

Hamonic is already very, very close to as effective as Schenn is. He might very well be better.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
those numbers I found were right off the web. Hamonic can easily get to 230lbs or more. Hamonic was farm grown and he has plenty of room to fill in. so to say, bigger, stronger is a stretch to say the least. Hamonic may even be stronger than Schenn considering Hamonic is a physical freak of nature WHOM WAS DRAFTED TO BE A SHUT DOWN DMAN. Should they arm wrestle? it's a fine line who is stronger IMO....splitting hairs

???

I didn't even mention Hamonic in my post and anyways, Schenn is bigger and stronger than him right now and in the future.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
You can't just assume Hamonic can jump up to 230 lbs, it doesn't work like that.

birddog*

man, Hamonic may be the better player right now. (not that huge of a stretch) someone mentioned in this thread earlier that Hamonic's give away ratio is better than Schenn and he absolutely has better offensive abilities and numbers than Schenn while Hamonic plays on probably the most depleted D unit in the league with who, a 24 year andy Macdonald for guidance? Not to mention Hamonic was a kid who grew up on the farms who is one tough hombre like Schenn. Lead fans make it sound like Hamonic plays like MAB back there. He is as sound as one can get already logging huge minutes and really not turning the puck over while planting guys through the glass and fighting whomever.

Hamonic was drafted to be a stud shut down guy, in fact the Isles figured he would be their Scheen when they decided to pass on Schenn at the 2008 draft. Just because the Isles drafted him at #53 does not mean he cant be better. Very curious if Hamonic was a leaf how different this thread would be
listen I know it stings when a top 5 pick has guys in his own draft have more potential or even start their NHL careers showing they may as good as your prized top 5. I understand, now Schenn will have a 15 year career, become captain, maybe win a cup and may become legendary in leaf land but folks open your eyes on Travis Hamonic, since he has been drafted in 2008 his climb upward has been off the charts. He is playing great now and its not about potential. thanks for listening

It doesn't "sting". Schenn is developing into something special right before our own eyes. And is already one of the top shutdown dmen in the league. A great leader and more.

You like Harmonic, good for you, but there isn't a Leaf fan around that is disappointed with Schenn.

Thanks but we're quite happy with Schenn. Perhaps Harmonic takes the sting off Bailey but there is no reflection on Schenn. There also isn't a Leaf fan or GM that would trade Schenn for Harmonic straight up.

Again good for you - you like Harmonic - we love Schenn. Case closed.

birddog*

You can't just assume Hamonic can jump up to 230 lbs, it doesn't work like that.

Harmonic is the next Shea Weber - taken directly from posts in this thread - just a little smaller and slightly less powerful shot.

He's also the next Luke Schenn - just a bout 130 hits and 100 blocked shots less.

All in all, NYI like the kid great, but there isn't a Leaf fan around that would trade you Schenn for Harmonic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad