Travis Hamonic or Luke Schenn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

waingr0

May 14, 2010
This "turnstyles" guy is popping up in every thread that has to do with the Leafs. Dedicated troll.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
im taking hamonic. steven/brian boyle outlined it very well in the first page. all things considered, he brings more to the table. 2-way dmen who excel at both sides are more valuable then an incredible shut down dman. and fwiw people, its hamonic, not harmonic. pet peeve of mine.
I just don't see the hype around Travis Hamonic. I've seen him play 20 or so times and I'm just not all that impressed.

Luke Schenn looks like a decent player but he has a little Dion Phaneuf in him. Going for the monster hit instead of the correct defensive play. I have seen him go way out of him way to "erase" someone. Going for the big hit ends up in an odd-man rush.
He needs to stop doing this and learn correct positioning, playing a little more conservative, make the smart play not the highlight hit.
to be honest, i dont think you have seen either player play
Hes on the leafs.....so take the other guy? right?
Sounds about right for HF.

Schenn not a guy you want on the ice????? wow.
Schenn like Dion; in terms of taking himself out of the play to lay a hit? not often do i see this, if at all....He eliminates players. Rather than pasting them to the wall in highlight reel fashion.

People really hate to see the leafs have someone to look forward too...it really sucks, does it not guys? COME ONE COME ALL, get your jab in at the leafs best young players.......
yep, people LOVE the islanders, one of the most respected teams in the league, no one ever takes shots at them.
schenn's job is to shut down the first line of the opposing teams every night. when he's playing his best this guy is an absolute beast. it's not just because he's physical where he'll hit you hard as hell, but he can skate and take away the puck

he does have his off days, but he's still young. sure he doesn't have that offensive potential, but if you're a forward, you'd rather have someone like hamonic covering you than schenn.
replace schenn's name with hamonic, they have the same job. hamonic just played 25 minutes vs the caps.
I love these posts. Such a great argument.

Why is Schenn overrated?
its about as good of an argument as:

schenn is soo underated on hf, its ridiculous!
Can we stop comparing? There are 29 teams in the league that hate us and will probably go against every player we have in our system anyways so there is no point.
like i said before, quit pretending like the isles are a respected team. they get **** on so much too, i swear, leaf fans love to play the defensless game. this is hamonic vs schenn, two terrific young dmen, not kadri vs jesse joensuu for gods sake!
I think they will have equally successful careers but in two different ways.

In their primes:

Hamonic: two-way 40-45 point d-man.

Schenn: shutdown 30 point d-man.

Now I haven't watched Hamonic play a lot but could this be a fair assessment?
i could see hamonic getting 40-45 pretty easily. he has 19 points in 43 games in his rookie season, thats probably 36 points or something over 82 games, and this is as a rookie. i could see hamonic hitting 50.
Anyone saying one or the other 'and it's not even close' just hasn't seen one or the other play.

I see Hamonic being better though. Schenn will likely be slightly better defensively, but Hamonic two-way game gives him the edge IMO. Hamonic is already a great puck-mover and has a great shot.

agree very much with the first part, dont give me the whole AINEC crap. these are two awesome dmen, it is close.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
its about as good of an argument as:

schenn is soo underated on hf, its ridiculous!

Too be fair, Schenn lost a poll to Smid in the offseason... i think that proves that people should lean a bit towards the underrated side:laugh:

Love Schenn but Hamonic has the higher ceiling and i do prefer 2-way over strictly shutdown. Even after saying that, I would not make a 1-for-1 trade. Schenn is more physically ready and the safer pick ontop of that he is our own homegrown talent who is the next captain of the Leafs.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Schenn will be a top shutdown (if he's not already) and Hamonic will be a solid 2 way Dman. Its hard to compare them.

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario
Starting to see how tremendously underrated defensive d prospects are around here. I'm gonna feel sorry for Gudbranson.

NewFang

Aug 4, 2008
Hamonic and it's not even close.

Threads like this with half the people choosing Schenn make me laugh. Only on HF :shakehead

14 points and a -1 on the Leafs or 19 points and a -5 on the Islanders playing with a 5th/6th string goalie.

If you want to just spew stats why not hits and blocked shots? Where Schenn is ranked #1 and #10 respectively.

Saul

S'all Good Man
Oct 6, 2007
Toronto
I could argue that players like Schenn are huge factors to the success of players like Hamonic. They are the rocks on D that can handle the puck well and pass well which puck movers need to support them.
That is very debatable though.
Peopl were pretty happy with Kaberle defensively. Last season people were disapointed in the effort and how reliable he was in his own end. THat changed thanks to Schenn. IMO.

TheNorth

Better Call Saul
Feb 16, 2010
Its crazy how Hamonic has gone unnoticed, always notice him when I watch the Islanders, let them switch places and people would be asking who Schenn is

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Is Hamonic going to be a better fighter? (generally curious, I've seen 2 of Hamonic's 3 NHL fights and a couple of Schenn's)

From what I've seen of him I would say so. Schenn has very poor technique. He is a big strong player that can handle himself but he sticks his chin out and just really isn't much of a fighter.

And the fact that Schenn is not going to get a whole lot bigger but Hamonic still has some filling out to do, when both are around 26 I think Hamonic will be a better fighter

Doug Height

Okposwag
Feb 17, 2008
LI
And you're an unbiased observer, correct?

Nope, never said that, I edited my post after replying to a homer post, since there's no more delete function on this site. That is all.

But I stand by the claim that anyone who says one or the other 'and it's not even close' is being a homer.

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
How about both fan bases be happy with the player they got, no need to compare.

Personally, I take the ELITE defensive d when in his prime, but that's preference since I would hope I have a #1/2 D's in the lineup that are great offensively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad