Travis Hamonic or Luke Schenn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Currently Schenn, but what I've seen from Hamonic already wants me to take him 1-2 years from now. He can score, fight, be physical, and play defense. Schenn is 1-dimensional.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Can we stop comparing? There are 29 teams in the league that hate us and will probably go against every player we have in our system anyways so there is no point.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Currently Schenn, but what I've seen from Hamonic already wants me to take him 1-2 years from now. He can score, fight, be physical, and play defense. Schenn is 1-dimensional.

I think he was drafted to be a stay at home shut down defenseman. If we wanted somebody who could score we would have took Myers who was chosen 12th.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
I think he was drafted to be a stay at home shut down defenseman. If we wanted somebody who could score we would have took Myers who was chosen 12th.

Who cares what he was drafted for? That has nothing to do with that specific poster wanting the two-way player.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site

To be fair, Schenn can do three of those four things, and does the last one better than Hamonic.

Right now I think it's too close to call. I think Schenn has the edge for now, but prefer Hamonic's upside slightly, but as an Islanders fan I'm biased in my opinion. But I think anyone in here saying it's not close or by far is being a bit ridiculous.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

True and Schenn will always be better defensive, but Hamonic is not that far off in the defensive zone skill plus has a good offensive game.

samwitch

Feb 27, 2008
Hamonic and it's not even close.

Threads like this with half the people choosing Schenn make me laugh. Only on HF :shakehead

14 points and a -1 on the Leafs or 19 points and a -5 on the Islanders playing with a 5th/6th string goalie.
Just a stat hound eh. Have you watched both Schenn and Hamonic play equal amounts to make this statement? My guess is no just like most other people in this thread that's why there is no point in doing this unless there are people out there who have watched them both on an extended basis.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
This is coming from a neutral red wings fan who doesn't have anything against either of these teams.

Schenn really has next to no offensive potential, 30 points tops I would say. He was also more physically mature then Hamonic so he came into the league much earlier, just because he has played more years now doesn't mean 5 years down the road when both are fully mature grown men that Hamonic will be worse.

Hamonic will provide you with everything that Schenn will. Hamonic is not quite as big of a hitter but Hamonic is a better fighter. Both clear the crease and all that good stuff mean stay at home guys are expected too.

Hamonic does have the offensive upside Schenn lacks however. Having Hamonic on your point on the PP as a shot would not be a bad thing at all. Schenn is better defensively now but Hamonic still has more filling out to do and is much less experienced.

6 years down the road I take Hamonic, he is a better prospect and has a higher ceiling, Schenn is the better player now.

And leafs fans saying "oh everyone hates the leafs blah blah blah" its not true, why would people hate the leafs that bad? They dont even make playoffs. Not everyone has the massive hard ons for leaf prospects or is a leaf hater just because they said they might take Hamonic over Schenn.. Its psots like those that make people think leaf fans are dumb

DPSNAGS

Dec 3, 2007
hamonic is too early in his career to be compared to schenn...although schenn has struggled with his offensive game, he has shown his is more than capable defensively...right now schenns the better player but

hamonic went from playing in the ahl to a 1st pairing dman in the nhl(obviously he wouldnt be a top pairing guy on other teams) but the point is hes playing over 20 mins a game and is playing against the other teams top lines. I really cant wait to see him develop more. IMO hamonic is ahead of De Haan on our prospect lists.

Revisit this thread a year or 2 from now. But if i needed a guy for one game now...itd be schenn

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
And leafs fans saying "oh everyone hates the leafs blah blah blah" its not true, why would people hate the leafs that bad? They dont even make playoffs. Not everyone has the massive hard ons for leaf prospects or is a leaf hater just because they said they might take Hamonic over Schenn.. Its psots like those that make people think leaf fans are dumb

I think you better take a closer look around you -- this is HFBoards. Get with the program.

samwitch

Feb 27, 2008
I think they will have equally successful careers but in two different ways.

In their primes:

Hamonic: two-way 40-45 point d-man.

Schenn: shutdown 30 point d-man.

Now I haven't watched Hamonic play a lot but could this be a fair assessment?

mooseOAK*

Hamonic is in a good situation for a young defenceman, on a team that few people pay attention to expect much from and pressure-free, relatively speaking.

LeafsGetTavares*

The most under rated part about Schenn is his breakout. People say no offence skills or anything but that's not what he needs, he does 2 things great, defence and clearing the puck/retrieving. If there is a puck in the corner he will beat out Crosby and take that puck and made a solid breakout play.

Now this isn't 100% he is only 21 but 3 years from now Schenn will be recognized for both his Defence without the puck and his handling skills in the DEFENSIVE zone.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
This is coming from a neutral red wings fan who doesn't have anything against either of these teams.

Schenn really has next to no offensive potential, 30 points tops I would say. He was also more physically mature then Hamonic so he came into the league much earlier, just because he has played more years now doesn't mean 5 years down the road when both are fully mature grown men that Hamonic will be worse.

Hamonic will provide you with everything that Schenn will. Hamonic is not quite as big of a hitter but Hamonic is a better fighter. Both clear the crease and all that good stuff mean stay at home guys are expected too.

Hamonic does have the offensive upside Schenn lacks however. Having Hamonic on your point on the PP as a shot would not be a bad thing at all. Schenn is better defensively now but Hamonic still has more filling out to do and is much less experienced.

6 years down the road I take Hamonic, he is a better prospect and has a higher ceiling, Schenn is the better player now.

Is Hamonic going to be a better fighter? (generally curious, I've seen 2 of Hamonic's 3 NHL fights and a couple of Schenn's)

Doug Height

Okposwag
Feb 17, 2008
LI
Anyone saying one or the other 'and it's not even close' just hasn't seen one or the other play.

I see Hamonic being better though. Schenn will likely be slightly better defensively, but Hamonic two-way game gives him the edge IMO. Hamonic is already a great puck-mover and has a great shot.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Schenn really has next to no offensive potential, 30 points tops I would say.

Last year 52 Dmen got 30 or more points, how is 30 points no offensive potential?

Hamonic doing well now, Schenn still better by quite a bit.

Fairenough

Jan 4, 2010
Québec
How about this? They are two tremendous young defensemen playing a considerably different kind of game.

Anyone who says, "easily" or "not even close" or anything like that, is totally wrong.

Mojo19

Loyal since 1987
Dec 29, 2006
Nova Scotia
Different roles.

Hamonic has more points than Schenn this season in less games as a rookie. But Schenn is all defense.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Well seeing as I'm the one who started this whole comparison, Ill chime in quickly with a basic assessment.

At their peak's I think the gap in their defensive skills will be small with Schenn getting the edge, but the gap in their offensive skills being much wider, Hamonic having the edge there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad