Travis Hamonic or Luke Schenn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
So does Schenn. Schenn just has a lot of already-tapped potential as well. The sings point to continuing improvement for Schenn, and it is baffling to me that people treat him like a fully developed player.

I think most people realize that Schenn hasn't reached full potential, but I don't think offensively he will grow that much. He basically will be a great shut down defenseman who will get 20-30 points. I constantly see the name Scott Stevens being brought up which to me is a bad comparison because as good as Scott was defensively and hitting(2 aspect which Schenn looks to possess) I don't think Schenn will ever match Steven's offensive abilities which were underrated throughout Steven's career because people just viewed him as a top defensive defenseman.

sniper81

Oct 30, 2009
toronto
k this thread is stupid, 2 different types of players. hamonic has a physical edge to his game to compliment good offensive instincts and above average puck moving. schenn on the other hand is a shut down adam foote lite who plays with a mean streak night in and night out. schenns most underrated part of his game is his puck moving which has improved night and day since he was 18. hamonic and bogosian is a perfect comparison......

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
People keep stressing that Hamonic was drafted for his defensive ability.
So was Schenn...about 50 picks earlier.
Hamonic's potential is exciting. And his play this year has been great.
Schenn is less than a year older, is far and away the leafs best defenceman, leads the league in hits while being incredible positionally sound, and is up there in blocks too. All this has been said, I know, but I feel like it's not registering with some people.
Schenn has effectively shut down Ovechkin.
Hamonic will surpass Schenn, or already has surpassed him, in certain facets of the game (creativity inside the offensive zone, skating).
But it seems like Schenn will always be bigger, stronger, smarter and more effective in the defensive and neutral zones.
Schenn is already one of the best pure defensive players in the league..this is no longer a point of contention.

alot of this quote above may support Hamonic being a better player than Schenn. Schenn has played what 200 NHL games on competitive NHL squads while Hamonic has played in what 40 NHL games on a depleted NHL squad to which he has more points and a comparable plus minus. To say Schenn will always be bigger, stronger , smarter and more effective is not a sure bet over Hamonic in the defensive zone. Sheeesh Hamonic is a strong dude as well and I believe tipping scales at 220 lbs. let's compare alittle bit

Schenn: 6'2 225 lbs Hamonic 6'2 220lbs How is that bigger and stronger?

Smarter?: Hamonic -7 on a horrible defensive Isles squad logging first unit minutes

Schenn: -1 on a NHL defense logging I guess first unit minutes? how is this so much smarter?

keep in mind this is Hamonic's first pro season playing what 40 games where Schenn is playing big minutes in his third campaign already

Then on the offensive side there is no debate. If Hamonic was leaf's property I have feeling he would not be so under looked in this debate. Both kids are going to good NHL players, maybe even great.

Oh well, time will tell

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
I'd like to see a couple more seasons of Hamonic before I'd venture which of the two (he or Schenn) is "better". Schenn's a safer pick right now because he's proven over three full NHL seasons what he can and can't do. Hamonic's more of a wild card because while he's off to a great start, it's still unknown how much better he can get.

This is almost a vintage HF-type comparison of "current ability versus potential", where Schenn is playing the role of "current ability" and Hamonic is being judged on "potential".

not sure why you say this? right now Hamonic is a very effective NHL player on a real poor NYI defensive team. His current ability plays mean on defense and puts up points on offense.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
not sure why you say this? right now Hamonic is a very effective NHL player on a real poor NYI defensive team. His current ability plays mean on defense and puts up points on offense.

44 games is hardly proven.

gojacketsgo61

Fire the Refs!
Apr 27, 2009
Schenn right now obviously. But Hamonic may be better in the future. Hamonic may be a bit worse defensively but he has a booming shot and can help on the PP. I think it'll just come down to what the team needs as both will be even.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Because people are high on Hamonic for the potential he has, not for the player he is right now.

If Luke Schenn never improves and remains the player he is today, he'll be a very good stay at home blueliner for the rest of his career. If Travis Hamonic never improves and remains the exact same player he is today, he's going to be a middle of the pack defenseman who is neither great defensively nor great offensively.

Hence, the reason some folks are high on Hamonic is because what they believe he can become, not necessarily what he currently is. Because even the most diehard Islander fan would readily admit Hamonic, as he is today, is no more than a second pairing player. It's just that he's got the potential (there's that word again) to be more than that.

Thus my comment about this being a classic "current player versus potential" HF debate.

mooseOAK*

People probably like the potential of Hamonic because he hasn't had to go through the ups and downs that a prospect in the NHL normally has to go through yet. Schenn has and is now a certifiably solid defenceman on a game to game basis with the odd dud along the way.

In any event I have Schenn and Aulie as icing on the cake.

birddog*

alot of this quote above may support Hamonic being a better player than Schenn. Schenn has played what 200 NHL games on competitive NHL squads while Hamonic has played in what 40 NHL games on a depleted NHL squad to which he has more points and a comparable plus minus. To say Schenn will always be bigger, stronger , smarter and more effective is not a sure bet over Hamonic in the defensive zone. Sheeesh Hamonic is a strong dude as well and I believe tipping scales at 220 lbs. let's compare alittle bit

Smarter?: Hamonic -7 on a horrible defensive Isles squad logging first unit minutes

Schenn: -1 on a NHL defense logging I guess first unit minutes? how is this so much smarter?

keep in mind this is Hamonic's first pro season playing what 40 games where Schenn is playing big minutes in his third campaign already

Then on the offensive side there is no debate. If Hamonic was leaf's property I have feeling he would not be so under looked in this debate. Both kids are going to good NHL players, maybe even great.

Oh well, time will tell

Who's the better player right now? Today? Not 5 years from now because most people can't tell you who will win the hockey game tonight.

I will tell you along the boards and in the corners Schenn might be top 5 in the NHL. Forget size. He routinely throws around some of the NHLs biggest and best players like Malkin etc. But way more than him -- does it nightly -- and leads the ENTIRE NHL in hits for a dman (insert NYI fan comment about how hits are a useless stat). He also has 135 blocked shots and is called "captain" by his teammates because of his leadership skills.

People in hockey that have watched and seen hockey a long time will tell you the kid is becoming something special. That said you like Harmonic -- good for you -- but he hasn't accomplished half of what Schenn has and don't pretend he has. And -7 isn't any good no matter who you play for. Just ask Frans Nielson.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Wow so a player shuts down Ovechkin for one game and he's all of a sudden clear-cut winner forever? Ah.. gotta love some people's train of thought.

No but Schenn leads the entire NHL in hits! Does that register, wtf has Hamonic done! To be honest comparing the two right now is a bit disrespectful. Schenn is by far and away the better player. The guy is a beast out there, he hits everything that comes his way. The kid is a pure shut down dman who is developing his skating nicely and his quickness with the puck. He isn't going to be flashy with the puck but his skills do get undervalued on here. He does carry the puck out during games quite nicely and has a very good first pass while shutting down the number 1 line. Will Hamonic ever be able to shut down a number one line? That should be the question. Not whether Hamonic and Schenn are at the same level or who's better because we know who's better..Schenn.

Last edited:

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
At first I thought, what a strange thread???? Schenn was one of the big 4 supposed franchise defensemen in 2008, and was touted as the best shutdown D prospect in 10 drafts (their words not mine). The guy is playing #1 minutes and is a 3 year vet. Comparing him to a 44 game rookie with a different skill set doesn't really make much sense. Comparing Hamonic to other rookies, comparing Schenn to Bogosian or Alex P, or to other similar defensemen makes sense.... This really doesnt.....

Unless.......
NYI traded 5th overall (Schenn) to trade down and eventually pick Bailey. Hamonic was a 2nd round pick in 2008. Im thinking this whole comparison has more to do with NYI fans being mad about trading down, so now...."Hey look, this isnt a bad move we got bailey and a better defenseman in Hamonic". Seems a little defensive to me

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
False, Alex Pietrangelo and Zach Bogosian are completely different players than Schenn. AP is already better.

I meant in terms of, they were in the same top 4 category and picked 3,4,5 in the draft. that would make sense to do... There is just no real logical reason to compare the 2 except for NYI had the chance to take him and they didnt.

Also, maybe a stupid question, but what exactly counts as a give away? is it merely you shoot it and the other team gets it, or is it a direct pass to the other team that leads to a scoring chance (like a beauchemin special)? does a defenceman clearing the zone and the other team skating back to get it or a forward dumping the puck into the corner for a change count as a giveaway?

IslesBeBack*

Why does HFBoards always have to pick one player over another? Is Toronto having Schenn and the Islanders having Hamonic a crime or something?

The bottom line is that both are going to be top 2 defenseman, respectively, for their teams, for a long time.

I don't watch much of Schenn. There, I said it. I don't really care much about Luke Schenn, either. From what I have seen, he's obviously developing into a bruising defenseman with a solid outlet pass. I don't think he's the fastest player, and I notice he makes some uncanny mistakes.

Hamonic is a big boy, has already taken on a leadership role, has a couple fights under his belt, and has become the 2nd best defenseman on this team in just a few short months he's been here. I don't think it's fair to judge him on a few months, while Schenn has had a couple years.

Both will be good in their own right. As a NYI fan, I love Hamonic. He is beastly, and his potential is to be a cornerstone defenseman for a franchise that is starting to garner quality depth at the position.

Can we just leave it at that? Nobody, on this board at least, will ever have to pick one or the other.. so just STOP. I feel like I'm in an elementary school with HF a majority of the time.

Doug Height

Okposwag
Feb 17, 2008
LI
Apparently NYI trolls are ok. Seriously, you are ok in my book.

Umm..What?

I don't see any Isles trolls on the Leafs board. So I have no clue what you are talking about, you probably should have checked to see what I was replying too.

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
man are folks underrating Hamonic's defensive ability. he was drafted as a ELITE shut down d man per NYI scouts in 2008. He has developed his offensive game. He was drafted some say to off set not drafting Schenn at #5 in the draft. Remember the NYI traded down to collect assets and drafted Josh Bailey. Think the Isles are happy whom they picked in the first and now the 2nd round.

I won't comment on Hamonic because you may be right and is underrated.

However I beg to differ that their both pegged as ELITE shutdown guys, schenn was said by multiple scouting reports as the BEST shutdown d in over a decade+.

Mckeen’s Draft Guide publisher had to this to say about Luke:

"Luke Schenn might have been one of the best defensive prospects perhaps in the last 20 years. He is the kind of guy to build your defense around."

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
sidney the kidney, not that even if hamonic never improved from here on out, he would be great offensively, pro-rated, i bet he would have gotten 35 points.
de haan will be better than hamonic
maybe...as of right now, its hamonic
Too be fair, Schenn lost a poll to Smid in the offseason... i think that proves that people should lean a bit towards the underrated side:laugh:Love Schenn but Hamonic has the higher ceiling and i do prefer 2-way over strictly shutdown. Even after saying that, I would not make a 1-for-1 trade. Schenn is more physically ready and the safer pick ontop of that he is our own homegrown talent who is the next captain of the Leafs.

well yes, in that situation, he is gravely underated.:laugh:

UncleBob

Mar 1, 2008
This is so stupid comparing a rookie to a three year pro. When Hamonic has played at least 2 seasons than compare the two, as of now Hamonic's potential is the driving factor of people choosing him over schenn (which is the same as people loving draft picks over players).

samwitch

Feb 27, 2008

Oh well, time will tell
I don't know where you got those numbers.

Luke Schenn - 6'2 229 lbs

Travis Hamonic - 6'2 208 lbs

Just sayin'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad