Travis Hamonic or Luke Schenn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OlderTimer*

I meant in terms of, they were in the same top 4 category and picked 3,4,5 in the draft. that would make sense to do... There is just no real logical reason to compare the 2 except for NYI had the chance to take him and they didnt.

Also, maybe a stupid question, but what exactly counts as a give away? is it merely you shoot it and the other team gets it, or is it a direct pass to the other team that leads to a scoring chance (like a beauchemin special)? does a defenceman clearing the zone and the other team skating back to get it or a forward dumping the puck into the corner for a change count as a giveaway?

Schenn clears the puck out of the Leafs zone better than any other d-man on the Leafs and makes it look very easy too. You never see Schenn giving the puck away tape to tape to the other team ala (Beauchemin) If clearing the puck out of the zone counts as a give away Schenn will be the league leader all of his career.

samwitch

Feb 27, 2008
I don't think you can say that Hamonic = Schenn defensively because as someone mentioned, Schenn was one of the most highly regarded shutdown defensemen to be drafted in recent memory. ELITE shutdown potential and he is already a really good shutdown defenseman.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
ummm....ill take schenn on the ice late in a game. He is strong on the puck, confident and makes the right plays to clear the zone. Not to mention he will take almost any guy out of the play , when fighting in the corners....

:facepalm:

Oh my god denial.

The original poster said, "you don't want him (Schenn) on the ice if you are down a goal late." ...And the above is what you reply with? Talk about seeing what you want to see.

We're not talking about PRESERVING a one goal lead...We're talking about SCORING a goal late to tie the game. You know...When "clearing the zone" and "taking guys out of plays" means nothing and having Hamonic's offensive abilities does.

You want to have an objective debate, let's have one. But you need to read and actually digest the posts you're debating.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I just don't see the hype around Travis Hamonic. I've seen him play 20 or so times and I'm just not all that impressed.

You must have been watching him play Wii, because there's no way an educated hockey fan has seen Hamonic play 20 full games and not be impressed.

I'm not talking "take him over Schenn" impressed. I'm talking, "this is a bona-fide defensive talent in the making" impressed.

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
:facepalm:

Oh my god denial.

The original poster said, "you don't want him (Schenn) on the ice if you are down a goal late." ...And the above is what you reply with? Talk about seeing what you want to see.

We're not talking about PRESERVING a one goal lead...We're talking about SCORING a goal late to tie the game. You know...When "clearing the zone" and "taking guys out of plays" means nothing and having Hamonic's offensive abilities does.

You want to have an objective debate, let's have one. But you need to read and actually digest the posts you're debating.

Sometimes, a good defense lead's to offensive opportunities. If you down by one goal and you let in the next one, GAME OVER.

I do know what his intent was though, I am just commenting that it does make sense to play defensive d even if your down a goal.

I know when we're down a goal, Wilson for sure plays offensive d more and schenn gets less minutes. However it's no coincidence either that we failed most of the time, either because it wasn't enough to beat the other team or that the other team scored while all the offensive d were on the ice.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Harmonic is the next Shea Weber - taken directly from posts in this thread - just a little smaller and slightly less powerful shot.

He's also the next Luke Schenn - just a bout 130 hits and 100 blocked shots less.

All in all, NYI like the kid great, but there isn't a Leaf fan around that would trade you Schenn for Harmonic.
where did someone say hes the next luke schenn?

anyway, isles and isles fans wont trade hamonic for schenn

Im Old Gregggg

Jun 22, 2010
Kitchener, On
isles fans would prefer hamonic

leafs fans would prefer schenn

lets settle it at that and not keep fighting on who is better..... they are BOTH STUDS

hamonic has the higher potential to become a solid 2way dman, schenn has the potential to be the top shutdown dman in the league, and to be honest both look like they are well on their way to becomming those guys

personally i woudlnt trade schenn for the world.... we can bring in dmen that can rack up 40 - 50 pts a year..... but luke will be a hard to come by and valuable player that anyteam would love to have when he hits his prime, hes the type that is a difference maker when the going gets tough

thepublichairs

Jul 30, 2009
Hamonic and it's not even close.

Threads like this with half the people choosing Schenn make me laugh. Only on HF :shakehead

14 points and a -1 on the Leafs or 19 points and a -5 on the Islanders playing with a 5th/6th string goalie.

Great way to measure a players value...A caveman can grab a couple of stats off NHL.com, compare it to the other player and say their player is better.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
On a sidenote about Hamonic, I never get why he never got(or gets) any love from the media. I am guessing if he was drafted north of the border he would have been the best thing since sliced Shea Weber the past year or so. Instead I never seen his named mentioned anywhere close to a top 50 prospect list

birddog*

On a sidenote about Hamonic, I never get why he never got(or gets) any love from the media. I am guessing if he was drafted north of the border he would have been the best thing since sliced Shea Weber the past year or so. Instead I never seen his named mentioned anywhere close to a top 50 prospect list

Apparently everyone has missed the second coming of Ray Bourque.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
thought id bring back this thread from a couple years ago haha... looks like back then almost everyone said they would waaaay rather have Schenn over Hamonic.
I think Hamonic is now turning into a complete stud and will be great in NYI for years(love that contract he signed.. it will be a total bargain in a few years).
Plus I see now Hamonic made the short list for Olympic team.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
thought id bring back this thread from a couple years ago haha... looks like back then almost everyone said they would waaaay rather have Schenn over Hamonic.
I think Hamonic is now turning into a complete stud and will be great in NYI for years(love that contract he signed.. it will be a total bargain in a few years).
Plus I see now Hamonic made the short list for Olympic team.

It's lots of fun to bump threads and talk about how ridiculous people's opinions used to be.

Don't do it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad