Travis Hamonic or Luke Schenn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Two similar players in the defensive zone, two different players in the offensive zone.

These guys are two of my favorite young defenseman in the league. Playing a ton of minutes on terrible teams, they've been very poised, solid, and look much more experienced in regards to their play than they actually are. Schenn has been playing with Kaberle for most of the season, though(before he was traded), so he did get a little veteran help each shift. Hamonic, with the other hand, played with another somewhat inexperienced player in Andy MacDpnald, although he is a very, very good player, and is currently carrying the Isles defense with Streit out.

They both play a rugged style, as well. They're physical, can be mean, and they're willing to drop the gloves to set off a spark or protect a teammate. They can clear the crease, and then they'll deliver that big hit every few games, to let their presence be known.

It's their offensive potential that sets them apart, imo. Hamonic looks to be much better in the offensive zone, and has a much better shot, and better vision than Schenn. That's not a knock on Schenn, though, who wasn't drafted to be a threat. He's a pure shutdown defenseman who can put up probably 20-30 points in his prime due to his solid outlet pass. In terms of player comparisons, here's who I would compare these two to(note that these are what these players could become of their expected development process goes as planned):

Hamonic: Shea Weber-lite

Schenn: A meaner Robyn Regher

RedBaronIndian

Jul 9, 2010
Hamonic will be a stud in the future. Will he be better than Schenn? Only time will tell. But this is not a good comparison since Hamonic is a offensive Dman and Schenn a defensive Dman.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Schenn by far.

He should have been in the all-star game this year and is quickly becoming a great defenseman. Hamonic is good, but not as good as Schenn.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Hamonic will be a stud in the future. Will he be better than Schenn? Only time will tell. But this is not a good comparison since Hamonic is a offensive Dman and Schenn a defensive Dman.

I would not be so sure, if I recall when the NYI drafted Hamonic they thought they were possibly looking at a NHL shut down d man down the road. His offensive game evolved in the last 3 seasons. Eric Cairs was the Islander scout whom from what I understand almost hand picked Hamonic and has stated on record that the Islanders loved his defensive shut down abilities and were not looking for any offense from the kid.

Schenn was almost a consensus top 5 pick in 2008, I was hoping the NYI would draft him, I had no clue who Hamonic was back then but he sure does play mean and have some offensive abilities. I am curious what the non biased homer fan thinks in this thread because this question was posed on the NYI board and its obviously off the charts in favor of Hamonic.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Hamonic.

Schenn is better defensively (for now), but his lack of offense limits his value. He can't help on the power play and you don't want him on the ice if you are down a goal late.

Hamonic, on the other hand, can be used in every situation. To me, that makes him the more valuable player.

Comparing them is like comparing the 40 goal scorer who doesn't play defense to the 35 goal scorer who can kill penalties.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Hamonic.

Schenn is better defensively (for now), but his lack of offense limits his value. He can't help on the power play and you don't want him on the ice if you are down a goal late.

Hamonic, on the other hand, can be used in every situation. To me, that makes him the more valuable player.

Comparing them is like comparing the 40 goal scorer who doesn't play defense to the 35 goal scorer who can kill penalties.

ummm....ill take schenn on the ice late in a game. He is strong on the puck, confident and makes the right plays to clear the zone. Not to mention he will take almost any guy out of the play , when fighting in the corners....

-----------------------
you're A. Blind. B. Leaf Hater. C. Isles homer ; if you are saying he is better now.....The future can change everything though, i cant touch that one.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Hamonic.

I take Hamonic too, but don't make things up.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
Hamonic has everything Schenn has & more.

Hamonic will be the better all around player.

I agree with the fact Hamonic will be a more rounded player but Schenn was picked as a pure defensive defensemen with elite shutdown potential and so far, I have no reason to think he won't reach that.

Both are good players, Leafs just need a guy like Schenn more because of the mediocrity defense they've had and they need an elite shutdown defensemen that is physical as hell, blocks shots, is a leader and his offense is progressing. He won't be a great offensive player or anything but could be a 30 point defensemen with elite defense so I would be very happy with that.

I'd take Schenn.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Actually, I don't know if Hamonic is comparable to Schenn defensively, I don't think he's a defensive stud but his d partner Andrew "the best contract in hockey" MacDonald is a defensive stud.

Hamonic > Schenn offensively but I wonder what it would be like if Schenn played under a different coach who allowed for the dmen to be more offensively active? I've seen good flashes of offense from Schenn. Also for the future, you have to wonder if a de Haan or a draft pick like Murphy or Larsson might be higher in the offensive order in terms of PP time than Hamonic if the Isles do draft another dman, obviously Streit will return too.

8BostonRocker24

Feb 8, 2006
Silicon Valley
I just don't see the hype around Travis Hamonic. I've seen him play 20 or so times and I'm just not all that impressed.

Luke Schenn looks like a decent player but he has a little Dion Phaneuf in him. Going for the monster hit instead of the correct defensive play. I have seen him go way out of him way to "erase" someone. Going for the big hit ends up in an odd-man rush.
He needs to stop doing this and learn correct positioning, playing a little more conservative, make the smart play not the highlight hit.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
Both are good players.

Hamonic obviously is much better with the puck (although Schenn has improved dramatically this season), Schenn at this point is better defensively.

Both are the same age pretty much and still have lots of room to improve, it just seems like Schenn is a veteran because he has been in the league since he was 18.

Some interesting Schenn statistics this year:

1st overall in hits by a defenseman (next guy is Seabrook and he has about 20 less hits in the same amount of games)
10th overall in blocked shots in the league.

Tied for second in giveaways. Don't know how much bearing you put into that stat when guys like Keith, Seabrook, and Burns are all top ten as well.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I just don't see the hype around Travis Hamonic. I've seen him play 20 or so times and I'm just not all that impressed.

Luke Schenn looks like a decent player but he has a little Dion Phaneuf in him. Going for the monster hit instead of the correct defensive play. I have seen him go way out of him way to "erase" someone. Going for the big hit ends up in an odd-man rush.
He needs to stop doing this and learn correct positioning, playing a little more conservative, make the smart play not the highlight hit.

that should come with age hopefully, Orpik didn't really get that part of the game till his mid 20s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad