Not open for further replies.

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
I like both guys alot
Lofty Expectations for both would be
Schenn - Scott Stevens
Harmonic - Shea Weber
You do realize Stevens has over 900 points? Adam Foote would be a better comparison.

Luke Schenn is one of the most underrated players on the board.
Defensive shutdown guys are rarely praised by anyone else than their own fanbase.

E_Godard

Sep 21, 2006
Section 103
Hes on the leafs.....so take the other guy? right?
Sounds about right for HF.

Did I even voice an opinion outside of my questioning of how birddog came up with his conclusion? Perhaps you didnt mean to quote me?

Part of it yeah. Try watching the kid as well. He's 21 and his teammates call him 'captain'. He's that good of a leader. He's rock solid back there.

He'll be similar but more physical version of Brent Seabrook. Yes he is that good.

Harmonic is good but has not accomplished what Schenn has. When he does talk to me.

Ive watched Schenn and I think the kid is very talented. He will be a force for some time. When the Leafs do come around Schenn will be a big part of that success.

And Hamonic is no squirrel. His offensive presence does not detract from his defensive side one bit. I didnt expect big things when we drafted him but now its hard not to place him on top of our list.

For me, Id go with the 2 way player over the shutdown guy. However thats just my opinion on the type of player Id pick were I building a team.. Not so much an answer on whos the better of the two players in comparison. Hamonic hasnt even seen his 50th NHL game, while Schenn is over 200 at this point in his career.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Schenn is the type of defenseman that successful teams no longer ice, or ice one variant of on the bottom pairing.

This guy has something to say about that
Seabrook.jpg

Avery4Byng*

Schenn plays in Toronto.... Hamonic on the Island.

So it is quite obvious

Schenn > Hamonic

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
Two similar players in the defensive zone, two different players in the offensive zone.

These guys are two of my favorite young defenseman in the league. Playing a ton of minutes on terrible teams, they've been very poised, solid, and look much more experienced in regards to their play than they actually are. Schenn has been playing with Kaberle for most of the season, though(before he was traded), so he did get a little veteran help each shift. Hamonic, with the other hand, played with another somewhat inexperienced player in Andy MacDpnald, although he is a very, very good player, and is currently carrying the Isles defense with Streit out.

They both play a rugged style, as well. They're physical, can be mean, and they're willing to drop the gloves to set off a spark or protect a teammate. They can clear the crease, and then they'll deliver that big hit every few games, to let their presence be known.

It's their offensive potential that sets them apart, imo. Hamonic looks to be much better in the offensive zone, and has a much better shot, and better vision than Schenn. That's not a knock on Schenn, though, who wasn't drafted to be a threat. He's a pure shutdown defenseman who can put up probably 20-30 points in his prime due to his solid outlet pass. In terms of player comparisons, here's who I would compare these two to(note that these are what these players could become of their expected development process goes as planned):

Hamonic: Shea Weber-lite

Schenn: A meaner Robyn Regher

Nailed it.

Just to add a bit regarding Schenn.

At the start of the season, Schenn looked to be really looking to work on his offensive game. He was rushing the puck up the ice at a good rate, and would often carry it into the zone, and was very good at this. He was making a lot of slick moves, and showing of some really soft hands, and it seemed to me that he was taking a page out of Kaberle's book. As the season progressed, all of that seemed to come to a halt. He started playing it very safe, and no longer looked to take any offensive risks. I was a bit disappointed with that because I was thrilled with what i was seeing earlier on in the season.

Whether Wilson asked him to cut it out and just focus on being completely reliable defensively, I don't know, but i hope he starts doing those things that can make him more of a two way asset. Schenn definitely has some tools that could make him useful offensively (but limited) and I think with some work he could more than just a pure shutdown defenseman. He has a good pass, decent vision, excellent hands, and is extremely good at protecting the puck and keeping hold of it. With that said, his shot is simply not very good. He takes a long time winding up and getting set which is quite the hindrance. His speed is also an issue. Good offensive defensemen rely on their speed to both create chances, as well as getting back to their own zone when in trouble. Unfortunately, Schenn just doesn't have the speed to allow him to take those risks without putting his team in danger.

I'm really hoping that Schenn is able to develop a respectable offensive game. His own zone play is very, very good, and he is still young, so there certainly is time to work on some things that could make him a much better player. Good defensive defensemen are always useful. Schenn is one of the best hitters in the league from the back end, is a great shot blocker, and plays a very smart game. With that said, a guy that can provide a similar level of defense AND a good amount of offense are certainly going to be more valuable in this league. Hamonic looks like he is going to bring a game similar to Schenn in the defensive zone (though probably not quite as dominant) but will be several steps ahead of Schenn in the offensive zone.

They are both still quite young, and have a ways to go before their full potential is realized, so it really can go any way. I'm very happy with Schenn as a Leaf fan, and have every hope for him to become a bit more of two way threat. He has provided very good defense for the Leafs since he stepped into the league at 19. He also seems to be a great leader out there and could be the face of the team down the road. Hamonic has looked amazing so far in his young career, and has been absolutely vital to the defense of the Islanders. You really can't help but love the type of hockey he plays. Undoubtedly two of the better young defensemen in the league, and could be the cornerstones of their respective defense corps for the next many years.

mooseOAK*

I really have only seen Hamonic play in games against the Leafs and wonder if a lot of people in here have seen him play more than a few times.

I have Schenn and would see no need to change that.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
nope, he usually hits by the boards and rarely (if ever) goes for an open-ice hit that starts a rush. maybe you're confusing him for subban?

his hits are mostly this

This is the only time I've seen Schenn do what that guy is talking about:

Boston's second goal in that video, obviously what he was referring to.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Seabrook isn't a two-way defenseman? What? The guy is on pace for 44 points. Jesus.

I think Hamonic is more like Seabrook. He and Schenn don't play the same styles.

Just starting to find his offensive game, but was originally thought of as a 20-point solid defensive defenseman. Even on one of the most stacked teams in recent memory, he managed only 30 points in 78 games, 3rd highest scoring defenseman on the team.

Last edited:

Zeroknowledge*

Hamonic, in my opinion, the more I watch him play, the more I compare his play to Shea Weber, slightly smaller and Weber has the stronger shot, Schenn is too one dimensional to be picked here.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
This is the only time I've seen Schenn do what that guy is talking about:

Boston's second goal in that video, obviously what he was referring to.

That's still nothing like a Dion hit and you could argue Schenn was just trying to eliminate his man since Crabb could have covered the one going to the net. He had the puck when Schenn hit him so maybe Schenn was being a little too overly aggressive but if he doesn't hit him then whoever had the puck could get a goal since Brent lost his positioning and Schenn aggressiveness forced him to immediately shoot and Campbell was kind of lucky it hopped over Reimer and just tipped it in.

If Brent doesn't lose his positioning, that play never happens or Crabb decides to cover the forward going to the net when he saw Schenn going to eliminate that person.

samwitch

Feb 27, 2008
It's tough for most people to make judgements because I'm guessing that the majority who are picking Schenn don't see Hamonic enough to make a fair evaluation and the people who are saying Hamonic don't see Schenn enough to make a fair evaluation.

After that being said, I would pick Schenn but that's only because I have only seen Hamonic play twice and therefore my judgement is flawed because I've watched Schenn play about 100 times or more thus proving my point haha.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
It's tough for most people to make judgements because I'm guessing that the majority who are picking Schenn don't see Hamonic enough to make a fair evaluation and the people who are saying Hamonic don't see Schenn enough to make a fair evaluation.

This is true, I've honestly seen probably 205 of Schenns 212 games as a Leaf, and the only times I've seen Hamonic play is VS the Leafs or at the WJC.

samwitch

Feb 27, 2008
Now to think of it I've probably seen Schenn play around 200 games as well lol .. seems like he just came into the league but he's already in his 3rd season playing like a veteran. Like you said I've only seen Hamonic when we played the Isles and at the WJC. I like his game though.

Adam Foote is a perfect comparison for Schenn. ROCK on defense and will put up around 35 points in his prime. Those kinds of players are pretty important. I can see Schenn being a leader like Foote as well.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
These kinds of threads always turn into a pissing match between fans of the two teams involved so I always shake my head at some of the posts for fans of both teams.

As an Islanders fan who has seen almost all of Hamonic's games, I am very impressed with him. I have only seen Schenn play when our two teams tangle and I consider him to be a fine young defenseman. I agree with the many posters that have made the Adam Foote comparison for him. He is obviously a work in progress, but he's well on his way and will definitely be a major contributor for the Leafs. I do question his offensive upside, but he does have the ability to put up some points.

As for Hamonic, he was initially considered a shut-down defenseman, but he's definitely come a long way in his offensive game in the last couple of years. He's also grown 2 inches and added about 15 pounds since he was drafted. His style of play is definitely more of 2-way variety and he does compare favorably to Shea Weber. Travis is pretty good positionally and he's a strong kid. His skating is surprising good and boasts a strong shot that's pretty accurate. I'm sure everyone has heard about the Brawl-a-thon game between the Islanders and Penguins. Lost in all the fighting, Hamonic had a Gordie Howe hat trick before being tossed. The play that impressed me a lot was his pass to Tavares during the PP which JT buried. His goal showcased his strong shot. He still has a lot of work to do, but he's a player - just like Schenn is.

With all that being said, both players have shown that they have bright futures and will be major players for their respective organizations. They are very different in their style of play and it's not as if they will be traded for each other and all the childish back and forth of 'my guy is so much better than your guy' stuff is a complete waste of time. It's also very subjective.

Every team is constructed differently and the circumstances are always different. Would I love to have Schenn on the Islanders? Hell yeah without hesitation. I'm sure there are many Leafs fans that would love to have Hamonic on their team. It's not going to happen though.

I definitely enjoyed reading MoreMogily's post because I have seen Schenn play a handful of games and I am essentially ignorant as to what kind of player he really is. I have had a glimpse and I like what I've seen, but that's it. I've seen Hamonic play about 40 times and my assessment of him is obviously much more informed and I'm excited as hell about him.

Leafs fans should just be happy that Schenn is on their team. I know I'm happy that Hamonic is on mine.

Mustang2750*

Hamonic and it's not even close.

Threads like this with half the people choosing Schenn make me laugh. Only on HF :shakehead

14 points and a -1 on the Leafs or 19 points and a -5 on the Islanders playing with a 5th/6th string goalie.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad