Travis Hamonic or Luke Schenn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
Luke Schenn looks like a decent player but he has a little Dion Phaneuf in him. Going for the monster hit instead of the correct defensive play. I have seen him go way out of him way to "erase" someone. Going for the big hit ends up in an odd-man rush.
He needs to stop doing this and learn correct positioning, playing a little more conservative, make the smart play not the highlight hit.

He has literally done this once in his entire NHL career, and I know you are talking about when he smoked Brad Marchand in front of the Leafs goal. That is probably the only open-ice hit Schenn has ever laid in his career, he just doesn't play like that.

Jesus Toews*

I take Hamonic too, but don't make things up.

Why would you want Luke Schenn on the ice if you're down a goal late?

To answer the question, easily Hamonic. Schenn is the type of defenseman that successful teams no longer ice, or ice one variant of on the bottom pairing. Two-way defensemen are what you need in the current NHL landscape and you need look no further than the bluelines of top cup contenders to see why.

SeenSchenn2

Itchin' For Mitch
Jun 15, 2010
Thornhill, ON
I just don't see the hype around Travis Hamonic. I've seen him play 20 or so times and I'm just not all that impressed.

Luke Schenn looks like a decent player but he has a little Dion Phaneuf in him. Going for the monster hit instead of the correct defensive play. I have seen him go way out of him way to "erase" someone. Going for the big hit ends up in an odd-man rush.
He needs to stop doing this and learn correct positioning, playing a little more conservative, make the smart play not the highlight hit.

I understand you watch Schenn 6 times per year vs Boston... but WTF are you talking about?

Even Phaneuf has stopped doing that lol. When there's an odd man rush, it's usually Schenn whos back there.

To answer the question, easily Hamonic. Schenn is the type of defenseman that successful teams no longer ice, or ice one variant of on the bottom pairing. Two-way defensemen are what you need in the current NHL landscape and you need look no further than the bluelines of top cup contenders to see why.

1. Schenn is developing his offense. Since the departure of Kaberle, he's handling the puck much more, skating it over the blue-line and making a crisp pass, etc.
2. Phillips (in Ottawa's successful past), Volchenkov, Adam Foote, Zanon, etc. don't mean anything to you?

Last edited:

TYayo

Sep 10, 2009
I like both guys alot
Lofty Expectations for both would be
Schenn - Scott Stevens
Harmonic - Shea Weber

As for right now, I like Schenns game better and he is a bit closer to reaching his potential than Harmonic (3 years in the league will do that for you) and he is head an shoulders above where he was last year.
That being said..right now I take Schenn..if purely picking for the future I think I still pick him but thats the type of player I like..IF I want a player with a lil less defensive ability and a little more offensive flar than I pick HArmonic

A better comparison would be Harmonic vs Pietrangelo or Bogosian (play similar 2 way)...

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
I just don't see the hype around Travis Hamonic. I've seen him play 20 or so times and I'm just not all that impressed.

Uhh what???

I don't think he's ever done a Dion type hit... ever. He doesn't go for the open ice hits, he erases people around the boards. Last year, he went out of his way at times to finish his checks/hit people around the boards but he's been very good at containing himself. He's just steady in his zone and is extremely physical around the boards.

One thing he needs to work on is cut down his giveaways but he is making more giveaways because he is handling the puck a little more this year which is fine with me. The giveaways aren't anything like Beauchemin and Komisarek use to do which is precisely at the bad time right on the opponent's sticks.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada

Lol... you mean guys like Seabrook, Oprik? Yeah, who needs those scrubs.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Thats how you assess who the better player is? Hits and blocked shot stats?

Hes on the leafs.....so take the other guy? right?
Sounds about right for HF.

Schenn not a guy you want on the ice????? wow.
Schenn like Dion; in terms of taking himself out of the play to lay a hit? not often do i see this, if at all....He eliminates players. Rather than pasting them to the wall in highlight reel fashion.

People really hate to see the leafs have someone to look forward too...it really sucks, does it not guys? COME ONE COME ALL, get your jab in at the leafs best young players.......

birddog*

Thats how you assess who the better player is? Hits and blocked shot stats?

Part of it yeah. Try watching the kid as well. He's 21 and his teammates call him 'captain'. He's that good of a leader. He's rock solid back there.

He'll be similar but more physical version of Brent Seabrook. Yes he is that good.

Harmonic is good but has not accomplished what Schenn has. When he does talk to me.

birddog*

Hard to argue with stupidity like that.

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
Apples and oranges.

Both are excellent young defencemen. Schenn is better defensively, but Hamonic has potential to become one the best 2-way defencemen in the league. In modern NHL, the Hamonic-type d-men are more valuable, but the question is whether he'll reach his full potential. If I was a GM, I would take Hamonic over Schenn, because of the 2-way upside. No matter how good Schenn will become as a shutdown guy, he'll never be able to contribute offensively.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada

dunce.jpg

leafmon

Nov 13, 2006
I've hardly seen Harmonic but I highly doubt after 43 games he could be considered as defensively capable as Schenn who has played 212 games. Yeah 212 ,been through the 2nd year slump and is rounding out as a real good shutdown guy.
So if Harmonic can reach Schenn's level of shutdown D I guess he gets the nod because of offensive upside . That said we aren't projecting Schenn as he is already there and really doesn't belong on the Prospect board. Harmonic is still a projection after 43 games and it is just foolish to put his defence on par with the already proven Schenn.

vezna*

schenn's job is to shut down the first line of the opposing teams every night. when he's playing his best this guy is an absolute beast. it's not just because he's physical where he'll hit you hard as hell, but he can skate and take away the puck

he does have his off days, but he's still young. sure he doesn't have that offensive potential, but if you're a forward, you'd rather have someone like hamonic covering you than schenn.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

That description is entirely the opposite of what Schenn's game is, which is safe positional play coupled with big hits along the boards. He gets beat on odd man rushes sometimes due to mobility but he never goes for open ice hits...

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
I would not be so sure, if I recall when the NYI drafted Hamonic they thought they were possibly looking at a NHL shut down d man down the road. His offensive game evolved in the last 3 seasons. Eric Cairs was the Islander scout whom from what I understand almost hand picked Hamonic and has stated on record that the Islanders loved his defensive shut down abilities and were not looking for any offense from the kid.

Schenn was almost a consensus top 5 pick in 2008, I was hoping the NYI would draft him, I had no clue who Hamonic was back then but he sure does play mean and have some offensive abilities. I am curious what the non biased homer fan thinks in this thread because this question was posed on the NYI board and its obviously off the charts in favor of Hamonic.

I can see him evolving into an elite No.2 defenseman who will provide 25-40 points from the point.

vezna*

nope, he usually hits by the boards and rarely (if ever) goes for an open-ice hit that starts a rush. maybe you're confusing him for subban?

his hits are mostly this

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
I take Hamonic too, but don't make things up.

Why is it making things up? If I am down a goal late in the game, say a minute to go, I want 6 guys on the ice who can help my team score. That isn't Schenn's game right now. Maybe it will develop, but Hamonic has already shown more ability in that area. Basically, up a goal late I would rather have Schenn but be comfortable with either. Down a goal late, I want Hamonic and don't want Schenn.

KlattNazty

Feb 3, 2011
schenn's job is to shut down the first line of the opposing teams every night. when he's playing his best this guy is an absolute beast. it's not just because he's physical where he'll hit you hard as hell, but he can skate and take away the puck

he does have his off days, but he's still young. sure he doesn't have that offensive potential, but if you're a forward, you'd rather have someone like hamonic covering you than schenn.

This. IMO the best post in this thread. Obviously Schenn does not have an offensive game to that of Hamonic, but that does not mean it is non existent. Schenn type players are so incredibly under rated because they do not post huge numbers. IIRC in last years playoffs there was a game where everyone talked about how Pronger dominated for Phili. Not because he posted incredible numbers but because he blocked 5 big shots, and shut down the forwards so well. The fact that another guy posted that these type of players are now bottom lines, all I do is shake my head at you. Fans appreciate the big number defenseman, but coaches and opposing players now exactly how good Schenn type players are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->