Prospect Info: Travis Dermott Upside

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
He could have flopped or struggled. Also I take the "trial by fire" to insinuate that he progressed quickly while overcoming obsticles, in particular his injury.

I guess I struck me as oddly phrased ... How else was he supposed to learn/adjust to the AHL asides from actually playing in the games (trial by fire) :laugh:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
If he can turn into a solid reliable 2nd pairing guy, much like Hawks Niklas Hjalmarsson then it would really solidify the defense core.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
This guy gets it. We want to win now and Dermott in the NHL gives us the best opportunity to do so. If I thought it detrimental for him to play next year in the NHL, I would recommend he stay in the AHL. As long as he skates a regular shift in the NHL (ie. gets more than 15mins of ice time a game), I don't see how bringing him into the NHL is detrimental to his development, especially since our NHL coaching staff have shown the ability to improve young dman.

We do? I thought we were patiently rebuilding to become an organization that can consistently compete for a Cup.

So the patient stuff is over?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
We do? I thought we were patiently rebuilding to become an organization that can consistently compete for a Cup.

Eventually I believe the patience goal in Leafland will be to follow the Red Wings strategy of letting prospects overripe in the AHL until they're promoted to the big club.

Babcock coached in both environments and if consistent and continuous Cup competitiveness is the long-term goal then this strategy will be the blue print for that model.

Dermott might be (unless he proves he is truly ready) be continued to be seasoned in the AHL as long as that may take.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
the red wings never actually did that, though.

they only kept guys in the ahl when they weren't ready, or very good.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I guess I struck me as oddly phrased ... How else was he supposed to learn/adjust to the AHL asides from actually playing in the games (trial by fire) :laugh:

I think they meant that he was forced to take on a large responsibility at once and that there was no way for the coaches to insulate him.

Bernier the Boats

Formerly BBurke
Aug 31, 2011

The bulk of it is, yes. We can compete for a Stanley Cup next year. That doesn't mean we're going to parlay young assets for vets, but you bet we're trying to take advantage of the window where we have 3 star players on entry level deals.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
The bulk of it is, yes. We can compete for a Stanley Cup next year. That doesn't mean we're going to parlay young assets for vets, but you bet we're trying to take advantage of the window where we have 3 star players on entry level deals.

so who are we going to surround these 3 star players with? and how are we going to acquire them?

Are you one of those that believes that one year of JVR or Bozak is going to yield defensive riches while Josh Levio or Kerby Rychel step right in replace them without missing a beat?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
so who are we going to surround these 3 star players with? and how are we going to acquire them?

Are you one of those that believes that one year of JVR or Bozak is going to yield defensive riches while Josh Levio or Kerby Rychel step right in replace them without missing a beat?

Who cares what it yields that way, its going to yield us picks, prospects and enable us to grab a better D. That's all that matters is the blue line right now. We can develop some wingers, heck we could try and get Oshie and Shatty from FA for nothing but money and have an abundance of prime picks.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Who cares what it yields that way, its going to yield us picks, prospects and enable us to grab a better D. That's all that matters is the blue line right now. We can develop some wingers, heck we could try and get Oshie and Shatty from FA for nothing but money and have an abundance of prime picks.

So you agree with the poster I was replying to that we can surround our 3 star rookies with enough talent that we are Cup competitive next season?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
So you agree with the poster I was replying to that we can surround our 3 star rookies with enough talent that we are Cup competitive next season?

No I am saying pretending we are cup competitive next year is stupid and pointless. It makes more sense to pursue Oshie and Shatty lose Bozie and JVR for futures and stick to the rebuild.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
No I am saying pretending we are cup competitive next year is stupid and pointless. It makes more sense to pursue Oshie and Shatty lose Bozie and JVR for futures and stick to the rebuild.

Agreed.

One "so so" playoff appearance and it seems some have lost their perspective on where this team really is.

Anyway, straying a little too far off topic for this thread.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
If he can turn into a solid reliable 2nd pairing guy, much like Hawks Niklas Hjalmarsson then it would really solidify the defense core.

I believe Dermott can become a solid 2nd pair D myself.
However, I think he has the ability to also compliment a legit top pairing D.
Like Muzzin can compliment Doughty. Which would mean he could play top pairing under the right circumstances. You wouldn't put Marchenko/Polak etc. with the top guy but you could put Dermott. Just my opinion.

Bernier the Boats

Formerly BBurke
Aug 31, 2011

No, I don't think we're going to trade JVR or Bozak and I don't think we need to. Another year of progression from our young players and what we have internally is good enough to be a cup contender next year.

We had 3 60 point rookie on entry level deals. Expecting progression from them is not outlandish.

We had 15 overtime and shootout losses. Shootouts are mean-reverting, we will win more of them next year. We also had substandard backup goalie play. We had a total of 6 wins in 20 backup goalie starts.

With no internal improvement, by getting a competent backup goalie and mean-reversion in our extra time statistics we can win the Atlantic.

So no, it's not outlandish to say we're a cup contender next year. Please make a case for me showing why we are not a cup contender.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
No, I don't think we're going to trade JVR or Bozak and I don't think we need to. Another year of progression from our young players and what we have internally is good enough to be a cup contender next year.

We had 3 60 point rookie on entry level deals. Expecting progression from them is not outlandish.

We had 15 overtime and shootout losses. Shootouts are mean-reverting, we will win more of them next year. We also had substandard backup goalie play. We had a total of 6 wins in 20 backup goalie starts.

With no internal improvement, by getting a competent backup goalie and mean-reversion in our extra time statistics we can win the Atlantic.

So no, it's not outlandish to say we're a cup contender next year. Please make a case for me showing why we are not a cup contender.

I agree with this. Not saying we will win the cup, but could easily see us go 2 or 3 series. Do we look so much worse than.. gulp.. Ottawa?

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
He is a solid 2 way "D" and to me his upside is 2nd pairing "D", he is going to start the next season as a 3rd pairing / 7th D or may be an emergency call up (there is no need to rush him)

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Just wanted to say I forgot Bracco was part of the trade down for Dermott. I have said in the past I think he will make it. Perhaps Aho was the better choice but we do need D and so I retract my criticisms.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Just wanted to say I forgot Bracco was part of the trade down for Dermott. I have said in the past I think he will make it. Perhaps Aho was the better choice but we do need D and so I retract my criticisms.

If I am not mistaken I believe the Leafs were targeting Swedish D Larsson thinking he may drop. That wasn't the case

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
If I am not mistaken I believe the Leafs were targeting Swedish D Larsson thinking he may drop. That wasn't the case

The Leafs talked to Larsson like 5 or 6 times between the end of the season and the draft that year.

Apparently we traded down to 30 to get him, but once Anaheim took him at 29, we traded down with ARI, letting them get Merkley.

But considering we walked away with Bracco, Dermott and Dizzy/Player Latvia/Dzierkals, I am more than happy with it.

And as some may remember, I was a HUGE fan of Merkley. Had him rated around 14-18 IIRC

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto
Really like Dermotts game. Nice comparison too whoever said Muzzin. I think third pairing LD will be a battle between Dermott and Borgmann.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
whoever makes it among rosen, borgman and dermott will be an upgrade in marincin, carrick, hunwick.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Quality 4D, I think. Not sure I can see him as a strong 3D, you're taking Gardiner/Hjalmarsson level players there, and I can't really see him being that good. I do think he has a decent shot to be a good 4D, though.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
whoever makes it among rosen, borgman and dermott will be an upgrade in marincin, carrick, hunwick.

Bold statement!

Surely, one will be an upgrade on Marincin!

I'm not sure if one of Rosen, Borgman, or Dermott, will be an upgrade on Hunwick immediately. We can only hope though. We'll likely know by season's end!

If management thinks one will be an upgrade on Hunwick immediately, he will not be re-signed IMHO.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Tbh he is literally Jonas Brodin in almost every aspect. Best asset is skating, stronger defensively than offensively, but not a black hole by any means, can be a top-pairing guy, but is probably better suited to be an excellent 2nd pair.

Also, Carrick was pretty fantastic for his first full season. There is 0 reason to think he won't improve as the years go by, and at WORST see him as one of the best 3rd pairing D in the league that can play on the 2nd in a pinch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad