Prospect Info: Travis Dermott Upside

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Well Gardiner is UFA in 2019. Leafs are hoping that Dermott can fill big minutes as Gardiner's replacement.
I'm not saying the Leafs shouldn't try to sign Gardiner, but by definition of "Free" the Leafs have a 1 in 31 chance.

2019/2020 Conference Finalists. Reilly, Zaitsev, Carrick, Dermot, and Nielsen plus two other guys:)

stymie

Oct 15, 2014
I don't think his offence will stand out it in the NHL.
His shot and forays into Bobby Orr Land are AHL calibre only.
Skating, IQ, & toughness will make him a Leaf.
Guy is very sturdy on his skates & has the gusto for the rough stuff.
Maybe a Josh Manson type with better genetics.
He will slot in nicely regardless.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario

I like your style.

I'm not sure I see the Manson comparison though.

daethfromabove1979

Jun 20, 2006

Josh Manson comparison? How rugged is Dermott?

Steveei

Sep 10, 2012
My expectations aren't high, I just hope he doesn't go the way of Percy, Finn or Schenn. All highly picked defenseman who turned out to be utter crap.

Percy utter crap? :help:
Finn and Schenn - yes..

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
His upside is top pairing, better than Rielly.

He basically is Rielly with a better shot if he reaches his ceiling. Worst comes to worst, he'll be a top 4 d-man.

I'm very high on Dermott and consider him more valuable than Kapanen

Duckrider

Oct 6, 2015
I remember going to a Marlies game a few years back, it was Rielly's first few games at the end of the season. He looked terrible compared to Percy. Percy had poise and confidence in spadesign. He was never the same after that concussion.

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
His upside is top pairing. Will he reach that? No clue, defenseman are tough to project.

He's progressing nicely though.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
2nd pairing slightly slower Duncan Keith (Keith is an elite skater while Dermott is above average i'd say) - Dermott has that chippiness to him though and can make plays.

I wouldn't want to say he'll never be top pairing but I share the sentiment he has a higher chance of being a rock on the 2nd pairing.

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
I haven't seen him as a Marlie but watching him in junior reminded me of Adam Foote. He's less than 6' but he's stocky and built like a truck. He could be a #2 pairing or solid #3 D-man for the Leafs. What stood out was his calmness and making all the right plays. He's a very smart player... In other words, he's the anti Jake...lol

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
To think of Dermott's upside you have to think of a guy who fits your idea of a legit top-3/4 dman who is good at everything but not great at any one thing. There's lots of them around. Martin, Ekholm, Muzzin, etc.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Who has the higher upside Travis Dermott or Ducks Jacob Larsson?

This will be the question I will want answers to, as I believed instead of trading back Larsson would have been the BPA on the board along with Travis Konecny in that original draft spot.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I like him. Forget the ratings.

If a team can have three above average Dmen, a two average Men, and two just below average, they will be better than most teams.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
2nd pairing slightly slower Duncan Keith (Keith is an elite skater while Dermott is above average i'd say) - Dermott has that chippiness to him though and can make plays.

I wouldn't want to say he'll never be top pairing but I share the sentiment he has a higher chance of being a rock on the 2nd pairing.

Keith could skate circles around Dermott while sleepwalking.

Yes he's a good d prospect but let's not get carried away. He isn't the next Karlsson or Letang. Might be a good two way guy on the second pairing/pp unit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad