Prospect Info: Travis Dermott Upside

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
No, I don't think we're going to trade JVR or Bozak and I don't think we need to. Another year of progression from our young players and what we have internally is good enough to be a cup contender next year.

We had 3 60 point rookie on entry level deals. Expecting progression from them is not outlandish.

We had 15 overtime and shootout losses. Shootouts are mean-reverting, we will win more of them next year. We also had substandard backup goalie play. We had a total of 6 wins in 20 backup goalie starts.

With no internal improvement, by getting a competent backup goalie and mean-reversion in our extra time statistics we can win the Atlantic.

So no, it's not outlandish to say we're a cup contender next year. Please make a case for me showing why we are not a cup contender.

are other teams who had bad luck allowed to forecast like this? Tampa had a whole lot of injuries this year and were considered a cup favorite to begin the year, so they can be back into the race. Philly with provorov and Hischier/Patrick are also probably expecting pretty significant improvement also. Florida had a few injuries and could.

Not only are we not going to be cup contenders there is a real possibility we are the team of the bubble teams to miss next season. It is incredibly outlandish to think we will be cup contenders next season

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
How good do you think this guy will be? How could he be within a couple years?

When Lou picks up a goalie via trade, I don't question it.
When Mark Hunter drafts an OHL defenseman high in the second round, I don't question it.

when we see the 2 swedes we ll have a better idea of how they look
dermott will slide in somewhere then

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Rosen Borgman Dermott Liljegren Marincin Marchenko will get 10 games each this season. Green will get the final 20.

Gardiner Zaitsev
Rielly ______
Hainsey Carrick

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
Rosen Borgman Dermott Liljegren Marincin Marchenko will get 10 games each this season. Green will get the final 20.

Gardiner Zaitsev
Rielly Hainsey
Rosen Carrick
Marincin-Polak

With waivers eligibility taken into consideration I think this will be our D - yes I'm implying Polak is back.

Borgman/Dermott/Liljegren will need seasoning - I think we're going to be surprised by Rosen being an impact player

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
With waivers eligibility taken into consideration I think this will be our D - yes I'm implying Polak is back.

Borgman/Dermott/Liljegren will need seasoning - I think we're going to be surprised by Rosen being an impact player

That's high praise. Hope it is true.

If he can skate like Gardiner, and have good defensive sense, then he will be a good player for the Leafs.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok

Gardiner Zaitsev
Rielly ______
Hainsey Carrick

Going out on the limb here, but by mid-season I can see...

Gardiner Zaitsev
Rielly Rosen
Dermott Hainsey
Marincin Carrick

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Dermott should get at least 9 games unless he has a bad camp.
He was head and shoulders above the other players last season in the ahl after he came back from injury. We need to see how he adjusts to the NHL level talent.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Dermott needs another year IMO better not rush him in - he needs to form the Marlies D-Core with Andrew Nielsen.

IMO Rosen is the most likely to make the team

Agreed. What do the Leafs honestly gain by potentially rushing Dermott in next season? I'm of the belief that the old NJ and Detroit style works perfectly. Overcook your prospects. When they make the big club they look like vets and don't look out of place. That worked for two of the more successful franchises in hockey for a long time. Make your prospects earn it. If Dermott looks amazing in camp, so be it, he's on the team. But I'm not going to make that assumption.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Agreed. What do the Leafs honestly gain by potentially rushing Dermott in next season? I'm of the belief that the old NJ and Detroit style works perfectly. Overcook your prospects. When they make the big club they look like vets and don't look out of place. That worked for two of the more successful franchises in hockey for a long time. Make your prospects earn it. If Dermott looks amazing in camp, so be it, he's on the team. But I'm not going to make that assumption.
For me the bolded is what I've been saying. I do believe he is ready but he has to prove it and earn it in camp.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
Going out on the limb here, but by mid-season I can see...

Gardiner Zaitsev
Rielly Rosen
Dermott Hainsey
Marincin Carrick

I don't think this is so unreasonable.
Hainsey will NOT be a top pairing guy with Rielly, Babcock was clearly trying to poke someone in the eye with that comment.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
He'll get a good look at camp, but he'll really need to blow the doors off to earn a spot IMO. His development is probably best served by being the Marlies #1 for a year, instead of being #6 on the big club. If we have patience and give him 24 minutes a night in the AHL instead of 14 a night in the NHL, I think we'd reap the rewards for years to come.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Agreed.

He'll get a good look at camp, but he'll really need to blow the doors off to earn a spot IMO. His development is probably best served by being the Marlies #1 for a year, instead of being #6 on the big club. If we have patience and give him 24 minutes a night in the AHL instead of 14 a night in the NHL, I think we'd reap the rewards for years to come.

Agreed.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS

Gardiner Zaitsev
Rielly BRAUN
Hainsey Carrick

This was my thoughts on a lineup and I think Braun would fit in there perfectly beside Mo. Seems like we could get him relatively cheap as well.

Barilko14

Jul 5, 2006
Renfrew, ON

Gardiner Zaitsev
Rielly ______
Hainsey Carrick

I really doubt they throw the "won't play until they are ready to stay" philosophy out the window and start boomeranging kids back and forth between Marlies/Leafs.

Especially Liljegren. The kid needs a full season in one spot.

wc17

Feb 22, 2009
Toronto
I have a feeling Marincin will be starting the season on that third pairing. Babcock needs 4 defenders he can "trust" on the PK and with Polak gone that leaves Rielly/Zaitsev and Hainsey currently. Marincin is the only other dman left from last season that Babcock trusted on the PK.

That said:

Gardiner-Zaitsev
Hainsey-Rielly
Marincin-Carrick

Hopefully Dermott impresses in camp and takes that spot from Marincin. Didnt watch that many Marlies games so I dont know how much PK time he got.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I have a feeling Marincin will be starting the season on that third pairing. Babcock needs 4 defenders he can "trust" on the PK and with Polak gone that leaves Rielly/Zaitsev and Hainsey currently. Marincin is the only other dman left from last season that Babcock trusted on the PK.

That said:

Gardiner-Zaitsev
Hainsey-Rielly
Marincin-Carrick

Hopefully Dermott impresses in camp and takes that spot from Marincin. Didnt watch that many Marlies games so I dont know how much PK time he got.

Marincin should be no where this team or any NHL team. He cost us some key goals in playoffs especially the winning goal. His PK skills looks better because he's garbage in everything else. He is a good player to ice a team but I think we have better option

I'll take Holl over him any day.

Dermott if he can play in NHL level, even as a 6th defenceman, I say you put him in. We brought up and built Kaberle that way. He came in as a 6th D, watched few games from the pressbox and learned from Vets like Cote ( God I miss Kabby)
Same with Reilly. It didnt' hinder their growth

Cooking players in AHL for years is overrated. Not everyone needs constant seasoning. Best way to learn is on the job on factory floor

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Not counting prospects I think it should be:

Gardiner - Zaitsev
Rielly - Marincin
Hainsey - Carrick
Marchenko

But I do believe that if Dermott was in the NHL, he'd be our 4th best defenseman.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Not counting prospects I think it should be:

Gardiner - Zaitsev
Rielly - Marincin
Hainsey - Carrick
Marchenko

But I do believe that if Dermott was in the NHL, he'd be our 4th best defenseman.

lol ... This will be the last time :shakehead

wc17

Feb 22, 2009
Toronto
Marincin should be no where this team or any NHL team. He cost us some key goals in playoffs especially the winning goal. His PK skills looks better because he's garbage in everything else. He is a good player to ice a team but I think we have better option

I'll take Holl over him any day.

Dermott if he can play in NHL level, even as a 6th defenceman, I say you put him in. We brought up and built Kaberle that way. He came in as a 6th D, watched few games from the pressbox and learned from Vets like Cote ( God I miss Kabby)
Same with Reilly. It didnt' hinder their growth

Cooking players in AHL for years is overrated. Not everyone needs constant seasoning. Best way to learn is on the job on factory floor

I agree. I was more saying what Babcock would end up doing...at least to start.

Id love for them to pick up another legit top 4 dman (Hainsey aint gonna cut it) and have Dermott-Hainsey as the 3rd pair.

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
Would be nice if Dermott and the 3 Swedes make up our top 4 on the Marlies. See how they develop and move them up when deemed ready whether it be part way through this year or over the next year or two. If they all became NHLers our depth would suddenly become a strength instead of a weakness. They could be followed on the Marlies by our other young defense prospects and the pipeline would be underway.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
They are pretty much forced to use player based on waivers. Dermott likely 99.9% will not be on the team. Sosh will not make the team 99.9%

They have a little situation on their hands.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
He is a solid player. He may not do headfakes to get away from forwards but he also doesn't do completely silly things on the ice.
A good skater with solid offensive tools and makes good decisions who is also a dependable player in own zone.

Last edited:

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

That said:

Gardiner-Zaitsev
Hainsey-Rielly
Marincin-Carrick

Dermott played #1 pk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->