Prospect Info: Travis Dermott Upside

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
Ya i think back to Carrick's dominance in last years marlies playoffs compared to his NHL season to put some perspective on where dermott is. He's gonna be an nhler I'm sure of.. I'm just hoping for a 3/4, instead of a 5/6/7.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Need more defensive prospects like him in the fold. I just see a mature game from him when I watch him play..if that makes sense. Interesting to see what he brings next year.

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
Ya i think back to Carrick's dominance in last years marlies playoffs compared to his NHL season to put some perspective on where dermott is. He's gonna be an nhler I'm sure of.. I'm just hoping for a 3/4, instead of a 5/6/7.

Carrick has the tools to excel very highly in the AHL. Dermott's game is more suited to be successful in the next level. He's also a few years older.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

Carrick has the offensive edge but Dermott is better or could be better at almost everything else.
Time will tell but Dermott looks to be more well rounded than Carrick

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Carrick has the offensive edge but Dermott is better or could be better at almost everything else.
Time will tell but Dermott looks to be more well rounded than Carrick

It takes time to become a stable solid d-man. These young guys show their skill but also their lack of experience. I look at Ryan Ellis in Nashville - it's taken him since 2011 to be become what he now is this year. I like the patience the new Leafs org is showing with the younger players. I want Carrick to stay and develop here.

How Carrick goes may be an indicator of how Dermott may go. Both are good young talents. Throw in this Borgman kid now and we have a growing stable.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
It takes time to become a stable solid d-man. These young guys show their skill but also their lack of experience. I look at Ryan Ellis in Nashville - it's taken him since 2011 to be become what he now is this year. I like the patience the new Leafs org is showing with the younger players. I want Carrick to stay and develop here.

How Carrick goes may be an indicator of how Dermott may go. Both are good young talents. Throw in this Borgman kid now and we have a growing stable.

I agree with you. Patience is the key to development. That said Dermott may come out with a better knack for scoring in the nhl that carrick. Who knows?
Carrick and Dermott are pretty even in skill imo. They skate well handle the puck well. Carrick scores better, Dermott is stronger and better in his own end. Having both in the pool is a good thing.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
Probably the worst comparison I've seen about a player in a long time. :laugh:

i agree, i don't think he's done enough can openers.

if anyone is superficially closer to maccabe, it's nielsen, canon shot, weak front to back skating and not great edgework, strong legs and out of position.

however, i'm hoping he becomes more like our weber lite.

dermott, i can't think of a comparable off of the top of my head, but that's not a bad thing. he could be in a ryan murray category; very good skating and sense, but not overpowering in any trait.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
So Dermott is making the Leafs most likely?

Rielly ______
Gardiner Carrick
Dermott Zaitsev
Marincin/Rosen Marchenko

Imagine 3 top 4 pairs.

AustonMitchWilly

Jul 3, 2013
I was pleased with Carrick and I think he will keep progressing. He's got a good skillset, just makes dumb plays sometimes.

More time under Babs means more fixed.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
So Dermott is making the Leafs most likely?

Rielly ______
Gardiner Carrick
Dermott Zaitsev
Marincin/Rosen Marchenko

Imagine 3 top 4 pairs.

Dermott is not making the leafs most likely. I will be surprised if he makes it this year. I think Rosen or Bergman have a better shot. Dermott is still pretty young. Could benefit from another full year.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
I was pleased with Carrick and I think he will keep progressing. He's got a good skillset, just makes dumb plays sometimes.

More time under Babs means more fixed.

Yeah, Carrick is an NHL player.

Remember when he went down in the regular season and Marincin/Marchenko had to play instead. Our top 3 guys + Hunwick all saw huge minute increases.

Yes, he was mediocre at best in the playoffs... but I think the Caps are a bad matchup for him because of their size and speed.

But hes still improving, he can handle a puck, and he is fearless.

Bernier the Boats

Formerly BBurke
Aug 31, 2011
Yeah, Carrick is an NHL player.

Remember when he went down in the regular season and Marincin/Marchenko had to play instead. Our top 3 guys + Hunwick all saw huge minute increases.

Yes, he was mediocre at best in the playoffs... but I think the Caps are a bad matchup for him because of their size and speed.

But hes still improving, he can handle a puck, and he is fearless.

I question whether he is an NHL player. His play with the puck has not been good (18 points in 120 NHL games), and his play without the puck leaves a lot to be desired. I think right now Travis Dermott is the superior player, and see no reason why this would change in the future.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
well, i think he's better than hunwick who was awful even past the all star break. he really only improved towards the end of the regular season from what i remember.

i have dermott ahead of marincin, hunwick, carrick and marchenko. he's nhl ready now and i don't really see what another seaons in a slower league will do to improve him. he needs better opposition even on third pairing.

Bernier the Boats

Formerly BBurke
Aug 31, 2011
well, i think he's better than hunwick who was awful even past the all star break. he really only improved towards the end of the regular season from what i remember.

i have dermott ahead of marincin, hunwick, carrick and marchenko. he's nhl ready now and i don't really see what another seaons in a slower league will do to improve him. he needs better opposition even on third pairing.

This guy gets it. We want to win now and Dermott in the NHL gives us the best opportunity to do so. If I thought it detrimental for him to play next year in the NHL, I would recommend he stay in the AHL. As long as he skates a regular shift in the NHL (ie. gets more than 15mins of ice time a game), I don't see how bringing him into the NHL is detrimental to his development, especially since our NHL coaching staff have shown the ability to improve young dman.

Bernier the Boats

Formerly BBurke
Aug 31, 2011
Nooooooo - McCabe was not good defensively

I think someone like Vatanen is an appropriate comparison at this point. Skates well, has some offensive ability, and is very competitive defensively. Travis is still young, so his game could change once he reaches the next level, but that's what we can likely expect from him.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
HE is smart and strong enough to be a mid pairing Dmen.
Funny thing is, if he is a RHD and is 6'2, we will probably be saying he is top pairing materials.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Travis Dermott reminds me of Bryan McCabe.

79675-princess-bride-you-keep-using-jt13.gif

You've said this a couple times. Please explain how he reminds you of McCabe

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Ready for the Jump?

Dermott progressed in an almost trial by fire, learning to adjust to the AHL pace and increased physicality of the AHL. His strength is a dynamic skating ability combined with heads up playmaking skill, and he exhibited those with timely, simple outlets and complicated stretch passes. Skating skills should allow for more rushing and puckhandling, however, he seemed to conform more to a team concept of moving the puck up ice, and supporting the rush when he could. Struggled initially with some of the AHL physicality at times, but learned to use escape maneuvers (good edges, timely passes and clear avoidance) and teammates as options to move the play along instead of absorbing physical play. Showcased his skillset enough to warrant a potential graduation to the Leafs in 2017-18. Player to watch.

– Scouting report by Gus Katsaros (@KatsHockey)

Five goals and 24 points in his rookie season may not seem like a fantastic return when compared to Nielsen’s 39 points and 14 goals. However, Dermott’s total was achieved in just 59 games, with 15 of his points coming at even strength, which ranked him eighth among U21 players in even strength points per game. His production has also been trending in the right direction as he’s gained a handle on the league.

https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2017/05/03/travis-dermott-next-in-line-on-the-maple-leafs-blue-line/

A fun read for those interested.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
"Dermott progressed in an almost trial by fire, learning to adjust to the AHL pace and increased physicality of the AHL."

... Um, what else was supposed to happen in his development?

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
"Dermott progressed in an almost trial by fire, learning to adjust to the AHL pace and increased physicality of the AHL."

... Um, what else was supposed to happen in his development?

He could have flopped or struggled. Also I take the "trial by fire" to insinuate that he progressed quickly while overcoming obsticles, in particular his injury.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad