Prospect Info: Travis Dermott Upside

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
I have a question even though I may already have the answer to it, but why isn't Nielsen being put into the cluster of defenseman looking for spots? He may even be the best PP option (but not as a QB) because of his shot. I know it's probably because of poor skating and defensive ability, but I thought I'd ask.

Also think that Valiev is all but done as he is probably the worst of this current group of near-ready D prospects. Struggles to process the game at a high level.

In terms of potential in this current near-ready group I'd have it as:
DERMOTT
BORGMAN
NIELSEN
ROSEN
HOLL
VALIEV
(LILJEGREN COULD BE HERE AND WOULD BE AT THE TOP)

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
I love that we have this kind of depth now, and these kinds of prospects to watch.

Having young players like Borgman, Rosen, Liljegren, and Dermott, with any of them having the opportunity and potential to step into the 3rd pairing, and that it will unfold right in front of our eyes.

When was the last time we had this much talent and intrigue when it came to our prospects, let alone the ones who blew the doors off last year like Matthews, Marner, Nylander, and Zaitsev??

It is such an awesome, incredible time to be a Leafs fan. My kids, who have endured nothing but garbage Leafs teams but stayed strong in their Leaf love, are being rewarded with their loyalty and are at an absolute peak. They are literally saying they can't wait to go back to school (??!!?!) because "that's when hockey season starts and we can see the Leafs again".

Can't wait for training-camp, can't wait to see our Leafs back on the ice, and can't wait to get the season under way!

That's awesome

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I personally prefer Nielsen to Dermott

I mean maybe you could prefer his upside but currently Dermott is a FAR better hockey player.

Nielsen's lack of footspeed was badly exposed this season in the AHL. Sure he put up points but talk to anyone that watched him on a regular basis and he has a long ways to improve in the skating department to be a competent NHL D.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I have a question even though I may already have the answer to it, but why isn't Nielsen being put into the cluster of defenseman looking for spots? He may even be the best PP option (but not as a QB) because of his shot. I know it's probably because of poor skating and defensive ability, but I thought I'd ask.

Also think that Valiev is all but done as he is probably the worst of this current group of near-ready D prospects. Struggles to process the game at a high level.

In terms of potential in this current near-ready group I'd have it as:
DERMOTT
BORGMAN
NIELSEN
ROSEN
HOLL
VALIEV
(LILJEGREN COULD BE HERE AND WOULD BE AT THE TOP)

Atm I would put Rosen ahead of Nielsen. Maybe even Holl depending on if he improves on how he finished the season.

Nielsen has issues with his feet. His speed and acceleration was good last year for the ahl but his dexterity was not good so it affected his pivots lateral movement etc. This is a reason why he would get walked around a few too many times.
If he comes to camp with improvements on these areas it will be time to reevaluate him as his gap control might have been a side effect of his bad feet?

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Dermott is the Canadian Jonas Brodin.

That's a pretty good comparison for sure. Skating stick work IQ.
I think Dermott is a little meaner in the corners though, which is something I really like.
Let's hope he can do all this at the NHL level.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Watch the two of them play, they're identical twins.

Haven't since the 2015 otters. I liked him at the time but seemed more offensive. I would love it if he does. Hope so

Last edited:

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
I'm trying to remember if Toronto got the 34th pick as a result of trading the 24th pick to Philly. If so where was Toronto originally supposed to pick in the 2nd round?

They didn't Konency evidently and knew Dermott would still be there at 34. I would have liked Konecny and Dermott despite liking Bracco and Dzierkals. Konency is a heck of a player.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
I'm trying to remember if Toronto got the 34th pick as a result of trading the 24th pick to Philly. If so where was Toronto originally supposed to pick in the 2nd round?

They didn't Konency evidently and knew Dermott would still be there at 34. I would have liked Konecny and Dermott despite liking Bracco and Dzierkals. Konency is a heck of a player.

The 34th pick was originally Toronto's but was traded away. Had they not moved down, they would not have had a pick in the 2nd round.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009

Trading down 4th overall to CBJ would have been the ultimate haul. Haven't looked over it in a while but we could have been looking at something like Werenski + Konecny + Aho IIRC.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Wow.. hadnt looked at like that.

We could have had Konecny and Dermott plus Aho? They had obviously made a decision to stockpile picks for the farm team etc. as it was too thin. Don't forget at least we did get Dermott and one day we could have never signed all those stars anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad