Prospect Info: Travis Dermott Upside

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
How good do you think this guy will be? How could he be within a couple years?

When Lou picks up a goalie via trade, I don't question it.
When Mark Hunter drafts an OHL defenseman high in the second round, I don't question it.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Great top 4 D man. I don't see him on the top pair, but he could anchor the 2nd one.

A more chippy version of Morgan Rielly (not saying he will ever be as good as Rielly but I see similarities in their games)

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
  • Possible top pairing dman, definitely 2nd pairing anchor.
  • Two-way defensemen. play any situation.
  • Bigger tool box than Rielly or Gardiner

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
I tend to think he's the type of player that would excel at a higher level. Much like Percy did (until the injury troubles hit). Percy actually could have been a top-4 guy, I think.

They both think the game at a high level - very cerebral players. The difference is, Dermott also boasts skating and strength as well developed parts of his game.

My hope is he's someone you build your 2nd pairing around (what many call a '#3'). I hope he ends up being the same calibre as a left-handed Zaitsev. That's the sort of offensive upside I could see as well.

I do think he's missing that 'it' factor to ever be the best defenseman on an NHL team. For Jake it's the world-class skating ability, for Morgan I'd say it's his freakish athleticism. I don't know if Dermott has something like that going for him. That's why I'd place him in the same tier (potentially) as a guy like Zaits.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
His toolbox of skating strength skill and smarts is NHL top 4 calibre.

There are two types of Travis Dermotts you see.

1.) Risk taker high intensity offensive flair kinda like PK Subban early in his career. Makes mistakes but also makes flashy plays.

2.) Very cerebral and calm making all the simple passes and going un noticed, doing an amazing job making smart plays every time he gets the puck. Aka him at the world juniors and for 70% of his AHL rookie season.

Either style he plays he is still an effective player but we definitely need him to play the safer more calm version of his game.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Defencemen are so unpredictable. Having said that he has he tools and the tool box. He could definitely be a 1st poring guy some day, though I would be happy with top 4 as well.

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
He admitted that before the AHL he considered himself more of an offensive Dman but that this year especially playing with Oleksy (?) he would describe himself more as D first and O if/when it arises.
I know he was pretty beat up about the loss the other night but I worry about mental toughness after saying all that stuff about his future to the media. Self doubt is a killer

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
He admitted that before the AHL he considered himself more of an offensive Dman but that this year especially playing with Oleksy (?) he would describe himself more as D first and O if/when it arises.
I know he was pretty beat up about the loss the other night but I worry about mental toughness after saying all that stuff about his future to the media. Self doubt is a killer
That was disappointment in his performance not doubt. He said he needed to be better and that's true, not for the marlies but to make it to the nhl as a top 4.
To me his statements speak to his drive and passion. The desire to be better.
It's exactly what I want to hear from a young player.

edwardslane

Aug 6, 2010
Thankfully he wasn't another Matt Finn :) I'm not going to over hype him in my head.. but everything looks to be shaping up to be a really good player for us down the road. when his coach says he's the best 20 year old Dman in the league that's huge praise. A proper summer of training and who knows where he might be come September. Guys played with Mcdavid, Strome, Debrincat, etc.. He knows how to play with talented forwards! He'll do well moving the puck to Matthews, Nylander and Marner :)

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
travis dermott will be the leafs equivalent of mattias ekholm if he hits his ceiling. Strong defensively, and is a gifted offensive player. Some amazing skating, with crisp passing. He passed nielsen this year and is easily our best defensive prospect. I personally think that he makes gards replaceable when he's approaching ufa if gards is asking for over 6 million. Dermott will be a really good player, and one that will be impacting this team moving forward. Can't wait for his nhl debut. Hope he gets time on the third pair with rosen next season.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I don't see any reason he can't be a top pairing defenseman. He has all the tools and intelligence and drive needed to get there. He won't be an elite number one though

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
They had him as a future Anton Stralman (TB version) at the draft.

I think that's solid if everything works out.

That's incredibly optimistic. Anton Stralman is a legit #2 defenseman.

I'd be happy with an NHLer quite frankly. My expectations aren't high, I just hope he doesn't go the way of Percy, Finn or Schenn. All highly picked defenseman who turned out to be utter crap.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto

I'd be happy with an NHLer quite frankly. My expectations aren't high, I just hope he doesn't go the way of Percy, Finn or Schenn. All highly picked defenseman who turned out to be utter crap.

Agreed.

There's a long way to go but he's taken a solid step in the AHL towards realizing his potential.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
I tend to think he's the type of player that would excel at a higher level. Much like Percy did (until the injury troubles hit). Percy actually could have been a top-4 guy, I think.

They both think the game at a high level - very cerebral players. The difference is, Dermott also boasts skating and strength as well developed parts of his game.

My hope is he's someone you build your 2nd pairing around (what many call a '#3'). I hope he ends up being the same calibre as a left-handed Zaitsev. That's the sort of offensive upside I could see as well.

I do think he's missing that 'it' factor to ever be the best defenseman on an NHL team. For Jake it's the world-class skating ability, for Morgan I'd say it's his freakish athleticism. I don't know if Dermott has something like that going for him. That's why I'd place him in the same tier (potentially) as a guy like Zaits.

Don't wanna derail the thread but damn. Percy showed a ton of promise and his upside would be great for the current team. Pretty much had his career ruined by concussions. Poor dude.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener

Is Stralman a #2 without hedman?

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
I always thought Dermott would become a good 3/4 guy who is actually pretty good defensively. Underrated I think, it would be interesting to see his stats defensively, he always seems to make the right play. Good instincts offensively, albeit cautious, I think he will transition better to the NHL than some "run and gun" style offensive D who find it much harder to be successful at the NHL level and get exposed for their bad defensive work or get caught up ice or on a bad pinch.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

He skates better and thinks better than all those guys.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

the thing that killed those three was their horrible skating/footspeed.

thankfully, that's one of dermott's strength, which makes him a significantly better prospect than them.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Is Stralman a #2 without hedman?

Stralman is a legit #2 without Hedman, Tampa got him as a steal in UFA.

We would be very lucky if Dermott becomes even close to Stralman + Stralman plays on the right side, an even more rare commodity these days.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->