News Article: Training camp starts. Camp discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Maybe we have better depth players, but not guys to actually play top 6 positions. Have no issues with who's playing in our bottom 6 this year, but if our top 6 doesn't have quality it's not going to matter.

Eberle being garbage also was better than anything those players you mentioned have done or come close to doing. Letustu also was our 3c for much of the year and put up 37 points.

We have the best 1st line center (and player) in the world. We have one of the best 2nd line centers in the league. We could very well have three forwards in the top 20 in scoring this year, and a chance of two in the top 10. Our top 6 is probably the least of our worries. It's not like you can have a top 6 full of 50+ point scorers in todays NHL.

There were less than 80 NHL forwards score more than 40 even strength points last year. That's less than 3 per team on average. McDavid/Drai/RNH/Rattie might all hit that benchmark and also score more ES points than most teams entire top 6 this year.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Not sure why you are talking Talbot when the topic is Koskinen? When people talked about Koskinen they talked about how good his numbers were in the KHL. It concerned me then and concerns me now.

I understand your concern, but to be a #1 in SKA for years means you have be very good. Outside of NHL they can get any goalie they want. And like I wrote he's been terrific and has had great numbers in the Finnish national team.

There's no question he has been a very good goalie. We don't know how he'll do in the NHL, but there's no need to panic after practically one game, which was the first one in a new team and a new league right after the summer anyway.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Very interesting that our RW depth, which was a huge area of concern coming into training camp, might actually turn out to be a strength for this club this season. IF.. and thats a big IF... Rattie, Yamamoto, and Pulju can continue their strong play into the season.. their production might provide the best bang for our buck, considering all of them are still on very low salaries. Heck, Lucic makes like double their salaries combined.

djdub

This Space for Rent
Oct 1, 2011
Calgary, AB
Very interesting that our RW depth, which was a huge area of concern coming into training camp, might actually turn out to be a strength for this club this season. IF.. and thats a big IF... Rattie, Yamamoto, and Pulju can continue their strong play into the season.. their production might provide the best bang for our buck, considering all of them are still on very low salaries. Heck, Lucic makes like double their salaries combined.

Just like Pitts, EDM will be looking to do this for the foreseeable future. Wingers will have to be 1 MM reclamation projects or rookies. Money will be spent on Center depth, D and goalies.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Disappointed that Gravel got sent down rather than Jerabek and Garrison. He outplayed both imo.

Not sure it really matters though. I am pretty sure one of Bouchard or Bear is on the team with Jerabek in the press box.

Team needs to figure out their second line.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I think after the success Winnipeg had by banking on internal growth and trusting their prospects, more teams are taking a deep look at what they have.

Especially now with all the players coming in younger.

Edmontons prospect depth right now is right shot defenders and right shot wingers.

Chia could of sent a bunch of prospects and futures for guys who could play now but he correctly looked at our cap situation in the near future (not even accounting for Lucic, Russel and Sekera, just the amount we have locked into McDavid and Draisaitl) and saw that we need our picks. We need to draft well and build a contender, not buy one on credit that we will heavily pay for later.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Disappointed that Gravel got sent down rather than Jerabek and Garrison. He outplayed both imo.

Not sure it really matters though. I am pretty sure one of Bouchard or Bear is on the team with Jerabek in the press box.

Team needs to figure out their second line.
If Lucic can bounce back and Yamamoto continues his trajectory, I think that can be an incredibly solid line, I've said it a bunch.

Yamamoto is a small guy but doesn't play like the standard small guy. He gets in the close spots, fights for pucks and just goes for it. Playing with physical beasts like Lucic and Draisaitl could be the perfect fit for him.

Lucics game has been built on clearing space and physical play. Draisaitl seems to play his best when he physically engages too. The two of them clearing and opening space while Yamamoto finds spots for Draisaitl to feed with glorious back hand passes could work out extraordinarily.

Now the top line. Looking back at how Todd is using people I think the teams plan right now is to have Pulju develop is overall game at a good pace and have this lightening in a bottle they have with Rattie work his course. I love how Rattie is playing but he honeslty is not a long term fit. Puljujarvi if he continues to develop (I'm skeptical but I'm being optimistic cause screw it new year) will replace Rattie on the top line when he is ready.

Puljus 2 way game is getting better and his shot is too. Imagine a line of RNH - McDavid - Puljujarvi that all of them have strong 2 way games. Can control pressure, play strong defensively and all hit 60+ points. I think that is the overall goal and they want Puljujarvi to develop into a guy who can do that, which is why they are taking it slow with him.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Strudwick is talking about Koskinen on the Gregor show. Said he talked to his goalie coach friend who is making good points.

Essentially going from Europe to NA is actually a big jump for goalies, not skill level but where they have to read the play. In Europe plays develop more outside the dots so you can see them coming a bit more and have a bit more time to react. In the NHL, plays develop much closer so you have less time so right now he is playing catch up.

So it's not that he can't work at the NHL level, just that he needs time to retweak is game and where he is watching the play develop.

Edit: Gregor and Strudwick friend pretty much agreed that the best is to send Koskinen down for a month, let him play games down there to get back up to pace cause he isn't going to be playing up here for that month anyways, Montoya can warm the bench. Then when we have a game where Talbot needs to sit, bring Koskinen back up and then keep him from then on.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I understand your concern, but to be a #1 in SKA for years means you have be very good. Outside of NHL they can get any goalie they want. And like I wrote he's been terrific and has had great numbers in the Finnish national team.

There's no question he has been a very good goalie. We don't know how he'll do in the NHL, but there's no need to panic after practically one game, which was the first one in a new team and a new league right after the summer anyway.

1) I went to several SKA games and he worked in a Tandem with Igor Shestyorkin. He was never clear number 1
2) Despite what his stats says he did not face a lot of good shots with St pete--70% of their games were mostly in t opposition side of the ice. That team was stacked

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
Strudwick is talking about Koskinen on the Gregor show. Said he talked to his goalie coach friend who is making good points.

Essentially going from Europe to NA is actually a big jump for goalies, not skill level but where they have to read the play. In Europe plays develop more outside the dots so you can see them coming a bit more and have a bit more time to react. In the NHL, plays develop much closer so you have less time so right now he is playing catch up.

So it's not that he can't work at the NHL level, just that he needs time to retweak is game and where he is watching the play develop.

Edit: Gregor and Strudwick friend pretty much agreed that the best is to send Koskinen down for a month, let him play games down there to get back up to pace cause he isn't going to be playing up here for that month anyways, Montoya can warm the bench. Then when we have a game where Talbot needs to sit, bring Koskinen back up and then keep him from then on.

There is probably something to this considering we don't have a b2b series till the end of October. Although at the same time I would rather see Kosk also have to face more nhl quality players while adapting, even if that is just in practice.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

If Koskinen gets sents down there's a good chance he gets claimed.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
There is probably something to this considering we don't have a b2b series till the end of October. Although at the same time I would rather see Kosk also have to face more nhl quality players while adapting, even if that is just in practice.
A lot of time goalies just need to play. Practice doesn't really help with that

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Crazy, I just figured he'd for sure need them. Apparently not.
If anything it sounds like a no brainer. Get him playing time, get him into game shape. Montoya is pro at sitting on benches, let him do that in our game light October.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
1) I went to several SKA games and he worked in a Tandem with Igor Shestyorkin. He was never clear number 1
2) Despite what his stats says he did not face a lot of good shots with St pete--70% of their games were mostly in t opposition side of the ice. That team was stacked

2015-2016 Koskinen was a clear #1, but for the last two years you are correct, they shared the responsibilities. However, Koskinen has always been the to go goalie in the playoffs. During the four years he's played 67 playoff games, while Shetyorkin played just 6.

2014-2015 KHL champion, best goalkeeper in the league
2015-2016 best svs% in the playoffs, most shutouts in the playoffs
2016-2017 KHL champion, best GAA in the playoffs

I haven't watched KHL closely at all so you may be right with the 2nd point. But what I did see wasn't quite like that, I mean the goalies had enough work despite the good material.

Now I've written enough about this. What I wanted to say he's been very very good in the Finnish national team and it'd be stupid to write him off at this point. Time will tell, but not if he's not given some more time.

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
If anything it sounds like a no brainer. Get him playing time, get him into game shape. Montoya is pro at sitting on benches, let him do that in our game light October.

One thing that I'm noticing though is the Condors have a super light October, assuming they take Kosk on the Euro trip, he would only be available for 2-3 Condor games before the oilers first b2b

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
That's still 2-3 games he wouldn't be getting here.

Fair enough but is it really worth it? If Kosk play fine his last preseason game I think you just go with it and not over think things. I understand a couple AHL games may be good for him to start, but I think theres a lot to be said with him just practicing and becoming part of the team.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
If Koskinen gets sents down there's a good chance he gets claimed.

I highly doubt that.... Guy is gone from the NHL for ages, comes back on a "pricey" contract and is a sieve in two preseason games.... Who in the NHL needs him $2.5 million badly?? At him a couple more games and if he doesn't look at least solid, down to the AHL he goes. If someone claims him, send that GM a Christmas card the next few years as thanks for taking that $$$$ on.

Reactions: Raoul Duke

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I highly doubt that.... Guy is gone from the NHL for ages, comes back on a "pricey" contract and is a sieve in two preseason games.... Who in the NHL needs him $2.5 million badly?? At him a couple more games and if he doesn't look at least solid, down to the AHL he goes. If someone claims him, send that GM a Christmas card the next few years as thanks for taking that $$$$ on.
It's a moot point considering he doesn't need to pass through waivers.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
It amazes me how many goaltending scouting experts we have here... I still think most of you are going to be eating a lot of crow for what in the big picture isnt a horrible signing. Definitely far less detrimental then the Lucic signing was/is.

Reactions: MikeFLB

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Success this year is going to resolve around Talbot getting in a "good grove" and the team playing a more desperate defense with some grit.

Where that is going to come from I dont know. Hopefully the players arent talking about goals for, they need to talk about goals against.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad