News Article: Training camp starts. Camp discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Interesting that Stauffer just alluded to Gryba being pissy and negative that he got sent down last year while Garrison accepted his role and became a leader in the AHL and worked with Vegas’ young defencemen and was a positive influence.

Maybe a window into the buyout logic.

that would make sense
Is Gryba still in Devils camp or has he been sent down

Reactions: ChaoticOrange

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
From the lines in practice seems like the staff is willing to play younger guys over vets if they are outplaying.

I've found this development promising. But I'm interested to see how this progresses, because Chiarelli holds the trump card on who stays and who goes. How much leeway does he give McLellan in rolling his preferred roster?

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Not if your sending out Strome and Benning...
Why would San Jose accept that? Justin Braun is a quality defenseman and San Jose is a team gearing up for a Stanley Cup run.

The cost to acquire Justin Braun would be too expensive.

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
Where there you have it. Yamo with Drai and Lucic. I know some don't like it, but it was bound to happen with Reider playing crappy and Yamo scoring goals. Also Drai + Lucic not playing all that well requires something needing to happen their to light a spark. Like it or lump it, Lucic makes too much for them to give up on the dream of him still being a serviceable top-6 player.

I was certain KY was going to be our 2nd line RW this year. Todd loves him because he plays an honest 200 foot game. He will be a better overall player than johny hockey within a year.

As for lucic, after next July 1, he is owed 16 mill for 4 years. In today's nhl, that is an above average salary for a 3rd line player. Given his intangibles, he needs to score at an average 3rd line player to have positive value. That is only 28 points.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Why would San Jose accept that? Justin Braun is a quality defenseman and San Jose is a team gearing up for a Stanley Cup run.

The cost to acquire Justin Braun would be too expensive.

Have you seen their forward core? They have Karlsson, and Burns down the right side. Im sure they'd be fine moving Braun for the cheaper option in Benning, while adding another solid forward to the mix.

Edited Lineup:

RNH-Mcdavid-Rattie
Lucic-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Khaira-Mcleod-Puljujarvi
Rieder-Brodziak-Chiasson
Kassian, Caggiula

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Braun
Russell-Bouchard
Jerabek

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Have you seen their forward core? They have Karlsson, and Burns down the right side. Im sure they'd be fine moving Braun for the cheaper option in Benning, while adding another solid forward to the mix.
Burns can be flipped to forward if they lack scoring depth up front. San Jose has plenty of internally developed talent that fills those roles on the cheap.

They didn't add Erik Karlsson so they can pare down their depth. If they were willing to move Braun, he probably would've went to Ottawa instead of Demelo.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
We also had a 50 point Lucic, 50 point Eberle, 27g Maroon and a 35 point Letustu.

This team has how many top 9 wingers that they know what they are going to bring night in and night out? One in RNH

We have way more forward depth right now, and could make a deal if the right player becomes available. Something we simply couldn't do two years ago.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
We have way more forward depth right now, and could make a deal if the right player becomes available. Something we simply couldn't do two years ago.
I don't think this is very accurate. We had proven talent on that club that produced.

This club has a lot of players looking good in pre-season, but I don't know that they are really better.

Reactions: RebuildTheRebuild

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Burns can be flipped to forward if they lack scoring depth up front. San Jose has plenty of internally developed talent that fills those roles on the cheap.

They didn't add Erik Karlsson so they can pare down their depth. If they were willing to move Braun, he probably would've went to Ottawa instead of Demelo.

Maybe, maybe not. Ottawa might have wanted the much ceaper Demelo knowing how Melnyk is running things.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I like Bruan but I do not see Wilson giving him away on the cheap--Benning and Cags is on the cheap IMO--I could see him asking for Pizza Boy

I wouldnt say Strome is a cheap giveaway. Id be willing to move him for a top 4 dman and thats about it.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
In reading a few online articles it looks like the media smells blood in the water when it comes Koskinen

Plenty of media types - like Rishaug and Nielson - were all over this signing as stupid right from the get-go.

Peter Budaj just got sent down a couple days ago and is a proven backup at this level that probably could be had for a 6th rounder or a nothing prospect. Why does this team always make getting an average backup goalie look so hard? When was the last time we had one - Gerber?

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
I feel like it could be enough to get Chia fired (personally I think he already should have been). While it doesn't seem like a huge thing, Koskinen cost us 2.5 mill when we already had a adequate backup in Montoya. It was money that could have been put to use many other places. If he continues to look terrible all year. Chia will again have to answer the questions of why his questionable move didn't work out. It has happened far too many times.
This.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007

Until they prove it no, no we don’t. That’s the big knock heading into this season — depth. This team is a few injuries away from disaster. So let’s hope you’re right and this “forward depth” steps up.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
I don't think this is very accurate. We had proven talent on that club that produced.

This club has a lot of players looking good in pre-season, but I don't know that they are really better.

Eberle was garbage most of the year and played himself off McDavid's line and the 1st unit PP. Rattie will put up just as many ES points in that role. Maroon was a product of McDavid. How many points will RHN score in that 1LW spot? More than Maroon I'd bet. Lucic can rebound to that 50 point form. Puljujarvi is not a raw rookie like he was going into that year. Strome is a huge upgrade at 3C compared to Caggiula. Khaira is far more consistent and an upgrade on Pouliot. Yamamoto will be in the top 6 instead of a tweener like Slepyshev.

You can argue the quality of the top end guys like Eberle compared to Rattie/Yamamoto, but IMO the depth across the board has improved immensely and the prospect cupboard isn't a barren wasteland anymore too. We can also make a deal today that we simply couldn't two years ago because there was absolutely no depth.

Reactions: MikeFLB

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
I was certain KY was going to be our 2nd line RW this year. Todd loves him because he plays an honest 200 foot game. He will be a better overall player than johny hockey within a year.

As for lucic, after next July 1, he is owed 16 mill for 4 years. In today's nhl, that is an above average salary for a 3rd line player. Given his intangibles, he needs to score at an average 3rd line player to have positive value. That is only 28 points.

I have to laugh at this.

it's ok to pump the tires of a young player, but to believe he'll be better than Gaudreau this season?
I'm no flames fan but the guy got 30 goals in a season, averaging almost a ppg for his career, has been an all-star and won the lady-Byng.

people should be dancing in the streets if KY does half of what Gaudreau has done, let alone be a better player in his rookie year.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
How many of the goals last night do you guys feel Koskinen should have stopped? Looked much better and you can see the potentials there for a top flight goaltender. Patience is a virtue.

I only saw the highlights and while I can't say he let in any stinkers, he sure doesn't look like an NHL goalie in terms of his technique/mechanics/reads. Monster 2.0.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Koskinen was better last night than his previous game. Hopefully his play keeps getting better and/or Montoya is on top of his game. The bottom line is that Talbot appears to be ready for a great season so that's huge for us.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I only saw the highlights and while I can't say he let in any stinkers, he sure doesn't look like an NHL goalie in terms of his technique/mechanics/reads. Monster 2.0.

I have a hard time seeing how you can see all that from highlights. To me it looks like a team that had a bunch of bottom pairing dmen playing against allstars. And the dmen had a bunch of breakdowns.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
I feel like it could be enough to get Chia fired (personally I think he already should have been). While it doesn't seem like a huge thing, Koskinen cost us 2.5 mill when we already had a adequate backup in Montoya. It was money that could have been put to use many other places. If he continues to look terrible all year. Chia will again have to answer the questions of why his questionable move didn't work out. It has happened far too many times.
if he bunks out they will just waive him and send him to bako. its not that big of a deal tbh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad