News Article: Training camp starts. Camp discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Koskinen was better last night than his previous game. Hopefully his play keeps getting better and/or Montoya is on top of his game. The bottom line is that Talbot appears to be ready for a great season so that's huge for us.
Yes it was nice to see him look much more comfortable, confidence and competent, he even made a few good saves. Tough night for goals against.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Interesting that Stauffer just alluded to Gryba being pissy and negative that he got sent down last year while Garrison accepted his role, became a leader in the AHL, worked with Vegas’ young defencemen and was a positive influence.

Maybe a window into the buyout logic.
I remember reading about how well Ryan Mantha and Eric Gryba hit it off, find this a bit surprising. Although obviously there are more D on the team than just Mantha.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Koskinen was better last night than his previous game. Hopefully his play keeps getting better and/or Montoya is on top of his game. The bottom line is that Talbot appears to be ready for a great season so that's huge for us.
Yes, good to see Talbot playing in good form, but the concern remains that we have no competent backup for the 15-20 games that you'd like to rest him, and Talbot is forced to play more than he should and wears out.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Plenty of media types - like Rishaug and Nielson - were all over this signing as stupid right from the get-go.

Peter Budaj just got sent down a couple days ago and is a proven backup at this level that probably could be had for a 6th rounder or a nothing prospect. Why does this team always make getting an average backup goalie look so hard? When was the last time we had one - Gerber?
Did you not see Budaj last year? He was horrible. Knock Koskinen if you may, but sometimes this replacement players that posters suggest are even worse

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I remember reading about how well Ryan Mantha and Eric Gryba hit it off, find this a bit surprising. Although obviously there are more D on the team than just Mantha.

Yeah I still think it was a waste of cap there should've been a mutual termination if it's allowable. That said both guys are outdoorsmen so that is likely why they hit it off.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Not making excuses but I think Winnipeg was the worst team for Kosk to face right now.

Yea 3 goals came off the sticks of Wheeler and Schiefele. The other two by their AHLer I dont think most goalies would have stopped. It's like saying Comrie had a bad night the other game because he let in a bunch of goals from Mcdavid and RNH.

Reactions: nexttothemoon

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Yes, good to see Talbot playing in good form, but the concern remains that we have no competent backup for the 15-20 games that you'd like to rest him, and Talbot is forced to play more than he should and wears out.

Montoya sounded like he was playing with PCS last season, so hopefully if Koskinen flops (TBD IMO) he can step right in because no one on the farm is capable.

Reactions: GMofOilers

PumpkinBombX

Jan 29, 2009
ugh so many things to complain about:

too many people complaining about a 4th line winger spot that is lucky to see 10 min of ice a night.
Staufer using the word cerebral to describe Jarabek is the reason why the word Cerebral has lost all its meaning.
Also, why does Yamamoto need to be compared to Gaudreau? Why can't he play like Yamamoto?
It wasn't fair to Gadreau when he was coming in being compared to Kane. Also none of you should want him playing with McDavid. Rattie has it right. All he needs to do with McD is get him and nuge the puck and then get open. Yamamoto on that line will make him a worse player. (He won't be able to utilize his speed as he will have to time his routes better. He'll never carry the puck and always defer to his linemates, he wont even have the confidence to do so. Its the same reason that Nuge/Hall/Ebs didn't really work nor Hall/McD there is only so much puck to go around.

The bottom 2 D i get the complaints, they will still likely have to see 16 minutes+ a night.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Eberle was garbage most of the year and played himself off McDavid's line and the 1st unit PP. Rattie will put up just as many ES points in that role. Maroon was a product of McDavid. How many points will RHN score in that 1LW spot? More than Maroon I'd bet. Lucic can rebound to that 50 point form. Puljujarvi is not a raw rookie like he was going into that year. Strome is a huge upgrade at 3C compared to Caggiula. Khaira is far more consistent and an upgrade on Pouliot. Yamamoto will be in the top 6 instead of a tweener like Slepyshev.

You can argue the quality of the top end guys like Eberle compared to Rattie/Yamamoto, but IMO the depth across the board has improved immensely and the prospect cupboard isn't a barren wasteland anymore too. We can also make a deal today that we simply couldn't two years ago because there was absolutely no depth.
Maybe we have better depth players, but not guys to actually play top 6 positions. Have no issues with who's playing in our bottom 6 this year, but if our top 6 doesn't have quality it's not going to matter.

Eberle being garbage also was better than anything those players you mentioned have done or come close to doing. Letustu also was our 3c for much of the year and put up 37 points.

Soul8

Jan 20, 2018
I only saw the highlights and while I can't say he let in any stinkers, he sure doesn't look like an NHL goalie in terms of his technique/mechanics/reads. Monster 2.0.

Just to back up what the previous poster said, all of, Stauffer, Staples and Mcurdy thought Kosk played better and didn't blame him for pretty much any of the goals. For what it's worth

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Just to back up what the previous poster said, all of, Stauffer, Staples and Mcurdy thought Kosk played better and didn't blame him for pretty much any of the goals. For what it's worth
Sounds like Cam Talbot or Devan Dubnyk when they were going through rough stretches

Goalie lets in 3+ goals a night, but never his fault

Dohilers

Dec 18, 2011
BC
Koskinen hasn't had the type of training camp he'd probably hoped for, but I still think it's way too early to write him off. He's had two games with mostly junior players and/or minor leaguers. I'd like to see how he does with an actual NHL team in front of him. If he doesn't look good in his next appearance, then, by all means, send him down for a few weeks and bring him back up if/when he's ready.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Sounds like Cam Talbot or Devan Dubnyk when they were going through rough stretches

Goalie lets in 3+ goals a night, but never his fault

Did you watch the goals?

Three of them he had absolutely zero chance to save. Had he saved them it would have been a save of the year candidate.

Another one was deflected 4 feet in front of him.

Wheeler's goal I guess you could make a case it was saveable but Wheeler had all kinds of space to walk into the slot and rung it off the post so hard you could probably hear it in the parking lot.

Its not like anything went through the goalie or anything was scored from a bad angle or unscreened from outside a prime scoring area.

I get being critical of Mikko's first game. He was really bad. I didn't see any poor play in the second game even if he gave up five.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

Ryan Mantha comes from the Mantha family, Uncle is Moe Mantha and grandfather is Moe Mantha Sr--so it have to do with Ryan knowing how to play nicely with teammates

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
McLellan said he thought Koskinen was decent last night... after a shaky 1st outing (paraphrasing)... and that's probably pretty accurate considering the team around him and the opponents.

8 goals in 5 periods is too much though... but still too small of a sample to make final judgements imo.

I personally would lean towards Montoya as the backup RIGHT NOW... but there's 3 games left here in camp before they head overseas so still a window of time to assess what Koskinen is (or isn't)... and since they get to take 3 goalies overseas they'll still likely be assessing over there as well... like it or not.

Last edited:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Yes it was nice to see him look much more comfortable, confidence and competent, he even made a few good saves. Tough night for goals against.

A majority of the shots that beat him were from very high end NHLers with time and space to pick their spot. Tough game to get a good read on him one way or another IMO.

Reactions: SomeDudeOTI

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
I am trying to stay positive but I had concerns with Koskinen due to I felt his numbers were very soft with him playing on a stack team

If it comforts a bit I add that he's been very good in the Finnish national team. 2016 Finland won a silver medal and he was selected the best goalie of the tournament. His save percentage was 0.947. In the Olympics it was 0.932. Finland had many good goalies available so already the fact that they chose Koskinen to play means something.

It's true he played in a good team in the KHL, but he did have quite a few merits (best goaltender, all-star game, playoffs best svs% (.949), KHL playoffs most shuotouts (5), playoffs best GAA (1.64) etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad