News Article: Training camp starts. Camp discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
There’s a solid 20 posters who vanish after a win or a good streak of play and then hijack almost every thread for a week if the team is struggling. It’s not a narrative. It’s the truth. The other truth is that some posters are only here to complain or declare how right they were. They really could care less about team success it seems.
Amen brother. This is the story of HFOil.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
The amount of posters that vanish when the team is doing good boggles my mind. I bet it’s close to 1/3 of the total.

That being said its normal for that to happen, I’m pretty sure. Sports talk radio always rants about losing most of their callers once the team in winning.

It’s not an Oilers thing it’s a human male thing IMO. There are a lot of guys that need to criticize millionaires for not being perfect whilst wearing **** stained sweat pants for the 3rd day in a row. The funny thing is they hold announcers to the same standard they hold millionaire athletes and criticize them just as harshly.

My sweat pants are clean (well shit free at least)... just saying.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Just took a look on Capfriendly at the team transactions for the 31 NHL teams and it looks like the Oilers (and Sharks) have been the most aggressive at trimming their training camp rosters down... sending the most players to the minors/juniors so far in camp.

That's a good sign imo as it gets down to the final roster quicker and gets this Oiler team better prepared for opening season rather than extending this camp out into a laborious grind to pick those final 1-2 players for #7D and #13F... which in the grand scheme of things isn't as important imo as getting the team on one page in regards to practicing systems and getting the PP and PK units on the right track asap.

Pick a 23 man roster and get to work NOW... you can always tweak the personnel after the season starts if certain players are continually shitting the bed.

23 bodies are plenty of options to get started and it sounds like the Oilers have a slight advantage in that they can carry 24/25 players when overseas anyway... so that's even more reason to get down to that number FAST.

I would actually really like to see how this team would do if they played with just that final 23 man roster... with fully set lines for the last 3/4 games of camp. I think it would actually do wonders to get the PP and PK going well and overall chemistry as well as they went into the start of the season... basically would be like a ~4 game head start on other teams that took the more traditional "slow dribble" method of cutting their players in camp.

Reactions: Aerrol

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Nuge-McDavid-Rattie
Lucic-Drai-Yamo
Khaira-Strome-Pulju
Reider-Brodziak-Chiasson

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Benning
Russell-Bouchard
Bear

Talbot
Koskinen

That’s how I’d roll them out. Bouchard and Bear are pretty interchangeable at this point and it’s close between the two imo.
About to post the same thing. This is exactly how I'd do it for the first 9 games, and then depending on Bouchard's performance, send him down and have Bear as the 6th Dman.

Reactions: Aerrol

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Nuge-McDavid-Rattie
Lucic-Drai-Yamo
Khaira-Strome-Pulju
Reider-Brodziak-Chiasson

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Benning
Russell-Bouchard
Bear

Talbot
Koskinen

That’s how I’d roll them out. Bouchard and Bear are pretty interchangeable at this point and it’s close between the two imo.
Kassian is a lock for our 4th line imo, I definitely prefer your roster though. I also can't see Yammer starting the year in the NHL, I hope I'm wrong.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Kassian is a lock for our 4th line imo, I definitely prefer your roster though. I also can't see Yammer starting the year in the NHL, I hope I'm wrong.
He practiced on the 3nd line with Lucic and Draisaitl yesterday. If he has a good game against the Canucks then I think he'll be pencilled into our opening night roster, especially given Rieder's poor performance.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
He practiced on the 3nd line with Lucic and Draisaitl yesterday. If he has a good game against the Canucks then I think he'll be pencilled into our opening night roster, especially given Rieder's poor performance.

Still, I don't see the coach breaking up Rieder and Draisaitl so soon.

Yamamoto going to hit the same issue Aberg has, as all the roster spots have dried up.

The top line's set, as is the 3rd. Chiasson, Kassian, and Caggiula likely have the 4th line and PB spots locked up, and I'd be willing to bet this team will carry 8D vs. 14 forwards.

Let Yama start in the AHL, and wait for Rattie to cool down before he comes up.

On defence, I'm can see Garrison getting a deal. Of the depth defencemen still in camp, he's the more solid.

Jarabek hasn't been waived, so I think the team is going to keep him around a little longer.

I think the defence is going to be...

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Russell
Garrison-Bear/Bouchard/Benning
Benning, Jarabek

...to start.

Does the team get any extra roster spots for the trip to Europe?

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Going into camp I thought Yamamoto would start in Bakersfield but with his strong camp and Rieder’s lack of production thus far, I think you have to start him on a line with Draisaitl. This is a big year confidence-wise for Draisaitl to prove himself away from McDavid and we are setting him up for failure if we start him off with two potential anchors in Rieder and Lucic.

Rieder can start off on the fourth line with Brodziak and get extra minutes on the PK and potentially PP2.

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
One thing that I'm noticing though is the Condors have a super light October, assuming they take Kosk on the Euro trip, he would only be available for 2-3 Condor games before the oilers first b2b
If Kosk needs the AHL what's the point of even taking him to Europe?

It's not surprising that it would take time for him to adjust and I kinda wish he would've been in North America training this summer and scrimmaging with guys, but if he's not NHL ready why delay the process yet another month?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Odd to see so many oilers fans that appear to be happy about Koskinen having a rough start. They care more about their opinion being right after a few preseason periods than they do the team winning it seems.

Edited for awful spelling.
PC can't make a good move, if he does it's a fluke

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Is Koskinen really going to start the year in the AHL? Just got offered a 2nd a Mete for him in my keeper league, wondering if I should pull the trigger?
How do you end up with Koskinen in the first place? 50 team keeper league?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad