News Article: Training camp starts. Camp discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
There’s a solid 20 posters who vanish after a win or a good streak of play and then hijack almost every thread for a week if the team is struggling. It’s not a narrative. It’s the truth. The other truth is that some posters are only here to complain or declare how right they were. They really could care less about team success it seems
What a load. Posters have individual lives and circumstances that may not conform to your fairy tales.
Interesting that I think the opposite is probably more true. Posters make 'fantasy' lineups and unrealistic projections of how player x is going to do this and that. I've seen it for more than ten years. Then its crickets when the player falls on his face or washes out of the league. Dozens and dozens of posters loved the Nicholson, Chiarelli and McLellan hires - made lofty predictions of how the tide had turned, now that those gentlemen have shown themselves to be the sort of group that can't even win with the best player in the league, rather than admit their expectations were unrealistic, the posters turn their criticism on their fellow fans by making posts like you just made.
But when the players are out in public they should be treated with respect as one would anyone else.
Completely agree. But let's be real. We are talking about one or two isolated idiots. The tweet above is an attempt to make paint Oiler fans with an exceedingly wide brush and make us all look bad.

Reactions: Aerrol

sjosty26

May 8, 2013
Is Koskinen really going to start the year in the AHL? Just got offered a 2nd a Mete for him in my keeper league, wondering if I should pull the trigger?

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Odd to see so many oilers fans that appear to be happy about Koskinen having a rough start. They care more about their opinion being right after a few preseason periods than they do the team winning it seems.

Edited for awful spelling.
I agree with the sentiment and it seems like too many people are happy that Koskinen is struggling, but one defense to that contingent is I believe if Koskinen truly struggles and we waive him to the AHL, he'll likely refuse to report and we can terminate his contract and then he can go back to the KHL. It's a different scenario then say someone like Lucic struggling, in which case we are just totally hooped and have no way to relieve ourselves of his cap-hit.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I don't disagree, it's cowardly and stupid. I do think it's a result of a passionate market though. If they didn't get such social clout and so much media presence the incentive to be such jerks would be far lower.

Again, all we can really do is try to speak up if you see such stupidity happen. I'm sure some fans do and hopefully the players appreciate it.

I agree that the market being passionate is what makes this more likely to happen but where I think we also agree is that it is not passionate fans that do this simply because they care so much for the team. It is basically a type of bullying. Small people being made to feel bigger than they are by attacking someone who cannot defend themselves because to do so would bring a lot more hassle to their already fishbowl existence.

Reactions: Aerrol and nabob

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
What a load. Posters have individual lives and circumstances that may not conform to your fairy tales.
Interesting that I think the opposite is probably more true. Posters make 'fantasy' lineups and unrealistic projections of how player x is going to do this and that. I've seen it for more than ten years. Then its crickets when the player falls on his face or washes out of the league. Dozens and dozens of posters loved the Nicholson, Chiarelli and McLellan hires - made lofty predictions of how the tide had turned, now that those gentlemen have shown themselves to be the sort of group that can't even win with the best player in the league, rather than admit their expectations were unrealistic, the posters turn their criticism on their fellow fans by making posts like you just made.
Completely agree. But let's be real. We are talking about one or two isolated idiots. The tweet above is an attempt to make paint Oiler fans with an exceedingly wide brush and make us all look bad.

I wish it were one or two idiots. It is of course a very small minority, but it is a large enough group to make playing in a city like Edmonton less enjoyable than it should be otherwise. Winning would help of course. But there really is no excuse for this kind of behaviour.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
About the Mcdavid getting chirped thing:
I just posted a huge rant in the hockey discussion board in the thread about this. Go and read it if you care to know about my opinion/viewpoint on this.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I wish it were one or two idiots. It is of course a very small minority, but it is a large enough group to make playing in a city like Edmonton less enjoyable than it should be otherwise. Winning would help of course. But there really is no excuse for this kind of behaviour.

Have to wonder why they dont like the guy.... IMO its a clear case of gigantasophobia!

Edit: Wait people were actually chirping Mcdavid? I thought you were talking about Koskinen.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Have to wonder why they dont like the guy.... IMO its a clear case of gigantasophobia!

Edit: Wait people were actually chirping Mcdavid? I thought you were talking about Koskinen.

There was a moron who chirped him when he was leaving a restaurant with his family last year. Typical teenage goof who will probably be working for $15/hr until he’s 35.

Edit: I’m sure there were more as well that we didn’t hear about as well. Hell even last season when he was down 15 pounds with the sickness there were a bunch of posters on here being pretty brutal.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
There was a moron who chirped him when he was leaving a restaurant with his family last year. Typical teenage goof who will probably be working for $15/hr until he’s 35.

So ridiculous. Leave the players alone. Worst I heard were kids picking on Eakins kids. Just plain stupid

Reactions: nabob

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
I have to laugh at this.

it's ok to pump the tires of a young player, but to believe he'll be better than Gaudreau this season?
I'm no flames fan but the guy got 30 goals in a season, averaging almost a ppg for his career, has been an all-star and won the lady-Byng.

people should be dancing in the streets if KY does half of what Gaudreau has done, let alone be a better player in his rookie year.
you got a lot right, but don't give Divey McGee credit for that

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Of course its inexcusable. No debate whatsoever about that.
I guess we'll agree to disagree about the number of people actually engaging in that kind of behavior in the real world.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
You lost me there. The Oilers have great fans. People who do things like beak at MCDavid when he’s leaving a restaurant are the same ****tards that would laugh at an old person falling or not give up their seat on a bus to a pregnant lady. They’re just morons who saw an opportunity to display how dumb they are.

Pretty sure those two guys had to apologize profusely to avoid getting lynched.

Wewillrise

Jul 25, 2015
The amount of posters that vanish when the team is doing good boggles my mind. I bet it’s close to 1/3 of the total.

That being said its normal for that to happen, I’m pretty sure. Sports talk radio always rants about losing most of their callers once the team in winning.

It’s not an Oilers thing it’s a human male thing IMO. There are a lot of guys that need to criticize millionaires for not being perfect whilst wearing shit stained sweat pants for the 3rd day in a row. The funny thing is they hold announcers to the same standard they hold millionaire athletes and criticize them just as harshly.

Reactions: nabob

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Don't get me wrong, I ripped Lucic a ton last season. But would I have the audacity to @ him on twitter or talk smack at him or his family in public? Hell no. That's when you draw the line imo.

SomeDudeOTI

Feb 25, 2014
Behind enemy lines
None of them should have to worry about being chirped in a restaurant eating dinner with their families. Boo at the games. Phone into radio talk shows and complain,=. Vent on here. But when the players are out in public they should be treated with respect as one would anyone else.

The upside to that quote is how he says "they're just passionate, you have to be able to understand that." To me that means he doesn't let it get to him and just shrugs it off as crazy (so-called) fans.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
I think part of the issue with people disappearing when things are going well is just because there's not as much to discuss and debate.

We love to nitpick every single lineup and coaching and special teams and 3v3 and shootout lineups but when the team is rolling, the lines have chemistry, the PP and PK are rolling, and it's just not as interesting to say "welp, love how the team is doing! Keep it up boys!"

Harder to armchair QB a team that is in the zone.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Don't get me wrong, I ripped Lucic a ton last season. But would I have the audacity to @ him on twitter or talk smack at him or his family in public? Hell no. That's when you draw the line imo.
Same, I was one of Looch's hardest critics but I would never do something as dumb as that especially in public/when with family or friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->