News Article: Training camp starts. Camp discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Welcome to HFOil

Alot of posters disappear when the team is doing good.

Ugh, I'm so sick of this narrative. Hardly anyone disappeared. Most people just stopped complaining because - shocker - they were happy the team was good. I'm pretty sure I posted more in 2016-17 than I did any other time. I remember seeing a lot of other posters who are decried as negative nancies now doing the same.

Sorry people are venting frustrations with our poor management and pointing out potential flaws with the moves made.

Let's hope Koskinen pans out but I understand all the skepticism given how our goaltending worked out last year.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton

The thing about this is literally every fan base has these fans, which I wouldn’t call fans, but Edmonton’s get brought to light because they’ve been **** for so long. It’s not the city or fan base that’s doing this, it’s a group of people who just like to be *****

oilynutz

Dec 30, 2007
For all we know the guy was a Calgary fan in Edmonton? No actual fan would bitch at McDavid about what he did last year.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Ugh, I'm so sick of this narrative. Hardly anyone disappeared. Most people just stopped complaining because - shocker - they were happy the team was good. I'm pretty sure I posted more in 2016-17 than I did any other time. I remember seeing a lot of other posters who are decried as negative nancies now doing the same.

Sorry people are venting frustrations with our poor management and pointing out potential flaws with the moves made.

Let's hope Koskinen pans out but I understand all the skepticism given how our goaltending worked out last year.

There’s a solid 20 posters who vanish after a win or a good streak of play and then hijack almost every thread for a week if the team is struggling. It’s not a narrative. It’s the truth. The other truth is that some posters are only here to complain or declare how right they were. They really could care less about team success it seems.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I don't get it. McDavid doesn't feel heat here. Draisaitl doesn't either. The fans jump all over coaching, Chiarelli, and players like Lucic, Letestu, etc.

None of them should have to worry about being chirped in a restaurant eating dinner with their families. Boo at the games. Phone into radio talk shows and complain,=. Vent on here. But when the players are out in public they should be treated with respect as one would anyone else.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
The thing about this is literally every fan base has these fans, which I wouldn’t call fans, but Edmonton’s get brought to light because they’ve been **** for so long. It’s not the city or fan base that’s doing this, it’s a group of people who just like to be *****

Eh. Not every fan base, just every passionate one and certainly every Canadian one. Not much we can do about it but definitely frustrating to see/hear. Even in the biggest US markets there's other big sports (NBA/NFL/MLB) to distract sports fans but outside of Toronto (and we all know how Leafs fans are...), we don't have anything comparable. Not much to be done other than stand up to the dickhead you see but it's a shame to hear McDavid say himself that it's so bad to play in when we're not winning.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Odd to see so many oilers fans that appear to be happy about Koskinen having a rough start. They care more about their opinion being right after a few preseason periods than they do the team winning it seems.

Edited for awful spelling.

I made it clear before he played a game I was concerned about him being able to adjust to the NHL game. In this case it is not right or wrong but oilers scout judging European talent

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
None of them should have to worry about being chirped in a restaurant eating dinner with their families. Boo at the games. Phone into radio talk shows and complain,=. Vent on here. But when the players are out in public they should be treated with respect as one would anyone else.
McDavid does get the occasional dumb teenager saying something dumb (and who knows if that was really an Oilers fan?), but those are the outliers. It is nothing compared to the waves of criticism and pressure that someone like Lucic gets, or Tmac, or Chiarelli.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
McDavid does get the occasional dumb teenager saying something dumb (and who knows if that was really an Oilers fan?), but those are the outliers. It is nothing compared to the waves of criticism and pressure that someone like Lucic gets, or Tmac, or Chiarelli.

Even if he's getting off relatively easily, how the fans and media treat his teammates has to make an impact. His first memories of the market are probably fans and media tearing into Hall and Eberle. Even if he's not getting it as bad now, you know the whole team is thinking 'I could be next if we don't start winning...'.

Edit: hell, Drai got a lot of unfounded hate post contract last year.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
You think they'll go with mostly the A squad for the reminder of the preseason? Only home games left aside from the Germany game.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I made it clear before he played a game I was concerned about him being able to adjust to the NHL game. In this case it is not right or wrong but oilers scout judging European talent

A little early to judge don’t you think?

He was very much improved in his positioning and fundamentals in his second start. Anyone who knows anything about goaltending could see that.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
He never said that.
That doesn't even make sense.....it's like a line from Slapshot.
He did say that and it makes perfect sense . He made that comment between periods and i think what he was saying he is waits for the goalie to make the first move and shoot to where the goalie is moving from . If a goalie starts moving to the right back in the day of stand up goalies it is almost impossible to change direction

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Eh. Not every fan base, just every passionate one and certainly every Canadian one. Not much we can do about it but definitely frustrating to see/hear. Even in the biggest US markets there's other big sports (NBA/NFL/MLB) to distract sports fans but outside of Toronto (and we all know how Leafs fans are...), we don't have anything comparable. Not much to be done other than stand up to the ******** you see but it's a shame to hear McDavid say himself that it's so bad to play in when we're not winning.

Passion is not what this is. It is ignorance and stupidity. It's just that the more famous the person is that these goofs chirp the bigger it makes them feel.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Passion is not what this is. It is ignorance and stupidity. It's just that the more famous the person is that these goofs chirp the bigger it makes them feel.

I don't disagree, it's cowardly and stupid. I do think it's a result of a passionate market though. If they didn't get such social clout and so much media presence the incentive to be such jerks would be far lower.

Again, all we can really do is try to speak up if you see such stupidity happen. I'm sure some fans do and hopefully the players appreciate it.

Wewillrise

Jul 25, 2015
Mcdavid probably using his self to defend his teammates here. Whatever Mcdavid gets chirp wise a guy like Lucic would get 1000 fold.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Mcdavid probably using his self to defend his teammates here. Whatever Mcdavid gets chirp wise a guy like Lucic would get 1000 fold.

I can see this totally.

Cant even imagine what Lucic went through if our franchise player went through a rough time.

If any fans dont think players feel all the negativity in this fan base they are wrong.

Edmonton fans need to be better, until they are the team will be as good as the fans.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
I don't understand how any "fan" could chirp McDavid. Chirp guys like Chia and Lucic all you want, I get that.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I can see this totally.

Cant even imagine what Lucic went through if our franchise player went through a rough time.

If any fans dont think players feel all the negativity in this fan base they are wrong.

Edmonton fans need to be better, until they are the team will be as good as the fans.

You lost me there. The Oilers have great fans. People who do things like beak at MCDavid when he’s leaving a restaurant are the same f***tards that would laugh at an old person falling or not give up their seat on a bus to a pregnant lady. They’re just morons who saw an opportunity to display how dumb they are.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad