Pre-Game Talk: Training Camp Roster and Schedule

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Sharangovich is so proven that he can look like shit in pre season and still justify his value

That’s delusional. Early indications are not good.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Sharangovich is so proven that he can look like shit in pre season and still justify his value

That’s delusional. Early indications are not good.
Culture shock.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Realistically what do you think Vlad is worth?
Realistically we have no idea. Could be anywhere between a 2nd and a 7th. Once upon a time, Reto Berra returned a 2nd round pick because a team was desperate for goaltending.

That is what we need to do, goalies will get hurt and teams will pay.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Realistically we have no idea. Could be anywhere between a 2nd and a 7th. Once upon a time, Reto Berra returned a 2nd round pick because a team was desperate for goaltending.

That is what we need to do, goalies will get hurt and teams will pay.
I honestly feel like you guys are vastly over valuing him, he is a career sub 900 goaltender who we got for a third and given his contract now versus then I think you'd be lucky to get 4th realistically a 5th.

To be honest I'd easily give up a first to help Wolf take the next step

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I don't get how goaltender can be below average and you don't want to try the best goalie not in the nhl to see if it's better but to each their own.
Wolf's great, and he'll get NHL action this season. Why don't you just be happy the Flames have incredible goalie depth? Markstrom was always going to be the starter this year. You need to abandon this "Wolf needs to be in the NHL dressing room to watch Marsktrom stretch" schtick.

deleted user

Sponsor
Dec 16, 2019
I don't think practicing and getting used to our players, and the system Huska wants would be bad for him. I'm off the ledge though. I'm giving this team an honest belief that they'll sort this out and 🐺 will see action.

If we're sitting here next year doing the same dance.. then I'll get pissy.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Goalies are unknowable. Markstrom has been a top goalie, and although he struggled last year, he also had lowkey stretches where he was amazing. He's the 6 million dollar man. He could implode, or he could go back to Vezina form. Did anybody expect Linus Ullmark to post an historic season literally carrying Boston to the best record of all time, last year?
The handwringing that Wolf will demand a trade because he didn't make the opening night roster is pointless.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Preseason left no reason to think we shouldnt be packin-it-in for Macklin… Lindholm out Macklin in

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Wolf's great, and he'll get NHL action this season. Why don't you just be happy the Flames have incredible goalie depth? Markstrom was always going to be the starter this year. You need to abandon this "Wolf needs to be in the NHL dressing room to watch Marsktrom stretch" schtick.

First of all its about giving as much exposure to the speed of the nhl game to wolf. Letting him learn how to prepare from a vezina finialst day in and day out is a invaluable bonus.

Neither Markstrom nor Vlad were good enough to be starters last year but Markstrom's contract makes him moving him impossible the obvious choice is move Vlad for whatever you can and move Wolf up which he has earned.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
First of all its about giving as much exposure to the speed of the nhl game to wolf. Letting him learn how to prepare from a vezina finialst day in and day out is a invaluable bonus.

Neither Markstrom nor Vlad were good enough to be starters last year but Markstrom's contract makes him moving him impossible the obvious choice is move Vlad for whatever you can and move Wolf up which he has earned.
I guarantee you Wolf gets at least 10 games this year, and next year full time backup/1B. Wolf doesn't need to watch markstrom's prep. He's just put up a couple of the best seasons in AHL history, according to some here, the 2nd best pro league in the world. And Markstrom was good enough to be the starter last year. And despite your fantasy headspace, there's no way Vladar is waiver fodder

Last edited:

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I guarantee you Wolf gets at least 10 games this year, and next year full time backup/1B. Wolf doesn't need to watch markstrom's prep. He's just put up a couple of the best seasons in AHL history, according to some here, the 2nd best pro league in the world. And Markstrom was good enough to be the starter last year.

I defended Markstrom alot but last year was brutal.

Getting 10 games in spot duty isn't the same as working with the team everyday seeing nhl skill and speed everyday. Working on learning the system and the players.

There is much of the game that is mental not giving Wolf every advantage to learn and grow is the most Flames move of all time.

You did said it yourself he put a couple of the best seasons in the ahl and his reward is going back to the ahl when the 2 guys ahead of him couldn't even stop every 9 shots out of 10. This isn't how you help a player develop this is avoiding a tough conversation with Vlad

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Yeah I get Lindholm sees Huberdeau’s monstrosity of a contract and wants that much but bruhhh

I honestly wouldn't give Lindholm more than 8, so them entertaining 9 is insane to me. The players he had great chemistry with are gone and we don't have anyone similar in the pipeline. He's a good player on his own but his fit going forward isn't good enough to justify that amount.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Thank uncle lou for giving that overrated bum Horvat that obscene comparable-setting contract

Reactions: Tofveve

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
This isn't how you help a player develop this is avoiding a tough conversation with Vlad
When Wolf is called up in spot starts, he'll have been playing constantly for the Wranglers. It's the very definition of helping a player's development.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
When Wolf is called up in spot starts, he'll have been playing constantly for the Wranglers. It's the very definition of helping a player's development.
Couldn't disagree more jake ottinger is how you should develop young stud goalies. The stars were forced to play him that is how a goalie should be developed not 1 nhl game a month after dominating the ahl for 100 games

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Couldn't disagree more jake ottinger is how you should develop young stud goalies. The stars were forced to play him that is how a goalie should be developed not 1 nhl game a month after dominating the ahl for 100 games
Oettinger was developed the same way as Trevor Kidd, our goalies suck so let's throw him to the wolves and hope we get lucky.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad