Pre-Game Talk: Training Camp Roster and Schedule

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
So looking at the Cap numbers and including Kylington, Rooney & Pelletier we are over teh cap by $2,900,833.

If I am correct about how they calculate SOIR, then Pelletier's cap hit should be pro-rated to about 270k, saving us about 590k.... leaving us over by about 2.3m... which is perfect for placing Kylington on off-season LTIR, as it makes only about 200k of his hit unusable.

Then tonight or tomorrow we can add one of Klapka, Schwindt or Solovyov again and place Rooney on LTIR.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Flames within 56k of the cap limit, ostensibly zero. Shill is on the LTIR, Rooney is on IR and Pelts on SOIR.

Does this mean that we can also accrue cap space?

If so, there has been some pretty deft maneuvering by rookie GM Conroy.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Flames within 56k of the cap limit, ostensibly zero. Shill is on the LTIR, Rooney is on IR and Pelts on SOIR.

Does this mean that we can also accrue cap space?

If so, there has been some pretty deft maneuvering by rookie GM Conroy.
No, you cannot accrue cap space if you are using LTIR

deleted user

Sponsor
Dec 16, 2019
Coronato is a beaut in the same way Monahan is. They get it done and I love their hair. XD

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Ok. Just to play the dunce here, why is it so many teams went to great efforts to come in at zero or just below?
So if you have to use LTIR to get cap compliant on the opening roster, the amount of "relief" you get becomes locked in.

I will use us and Kylington as an example.

So if we are using all but 56k of Kylington's LTIR relief, we will never get more than that, so we will only get a max of 2.444m in relief as long as he is on LTIR. If we had only used $1 of LTIR, then we would be locked in at $1.

I believe one reason we went with a 22-man roster is to maximize LTIR. Had we put Rooney on LTIR as well and kept Schwindt up (picked him because he has the highest salary of those sent down today) we would have been placing 3.8m on LTIR, but only using 3.3m, making it so we could not exceed that 3.3m mark.

Tomorrow, we can call up Schwindt and LTIR Rooney, and then next week we would have the ability to send Schwindt down and trade for someone making 1.3m, if we made that move today instead we could only trade for someone making the same as Schwindt (or less)

Reactions: Nanuuk

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Imagine if everyone just agrees

It’s Sutter’s fault. Our magnificent youth don’t even get a chance
That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that I personally have no idea how this season will go and I made a comment that it seems like the fanbase has very strong and opposing opinions. Personally it feels like it's been more divided + entrenched in comparison to in previous seasons. I'm not making fun of either side. I'm saying this is the hardest season so far for me to get an idea how to expect that the season might play out. There's so many moving parts still that there are so many things that are up in the air.

What I'm also saying is that as long as we can discuss this cordially and respectfully, arguing and disagreeing is not an issue. If we disagree and start ignoring each other, then our small group here gets smaller for discussion purposes and that would suck.

Reactions: deleted user

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that I personally have no idea how this season will go and I made a comment that it seems like the fanbase has very strong and opposing opinions. Personally it feels like it's been more divided + entrenched in comparison to in previous seasons. I'm not making fun of either side. I'm saying this is the hardest season so far for me to get an idea how to expect that the season might play out. There's so many moving parts still that there are so many things that are up in the air.

What I'm also saying is that as long as we can discuss this cordially and respectfully, arguing and disagreeing is not an issue. If we disagree and start ignoring each other, then our small group here gets smaller for discussion purposes and that would suck.
I haven't said much on the topic, but I do believe we will be better and should be a playoff team.

All it would take for improvement is a little more offense, better performance in OT, or average goaltending. I think at least one of those ends up happening.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Ok. Just to play the dunce here, why is it so many teams went to great efforts to come in at zero or just below?

If you are below the cap ceiling, then you are not using LTIR to exceed the cap. LTIR is not just a status of a player, but has a slightly differing definition for cap purposes.

Some teams use LTIR to exceed the cap based on the contract value on LTIR. That allows them flexibility to tinker with additional contracts to hit the cap ceiling during the season and potentially "exceed it" when cap doesn't matter anymore during the playoffs.

On the other end of the spectrum, if you are below the cap ceiling with a player who for playing purposes is LTIR, you aren't using LTIR to exceed the cap ceiling. Since you didn't exceed the cap ceiling, that allows you to accrue cap space and since cap is also somewhat based on cap hit per game, this means that in theory, a $500K below cap at the beginning of a season might be basically worth $800K-1 million cap hit player halfway through the season (around TDL ish) based on cap space left. Don't rely on my calculation here though, just the basic concept.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nanuuk

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

Yeah, nothing personal. Just an opinion

Honestly, I don’t even remember who said what lol

I agreed though, the real plan is going to be much later depending how this season goes

I don’t see much hope as the roster was badly constructed, top to bottom. But always a surprise

Reactions: Fig

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I haven't said much on the topic, but I do believe we will be better and should be a playoff team.

All it would take for improvement is a little more offense, better performance in OT, or average goaltending. I think at least one of those ends up happening.

Based on certain patterns, the Flames could win the division again (taking turns vs VGK for last few years) or completely miss the last WC spot by around 2-3 slots and rank 24th or worse to draft 6th OA ish again.

It's actually kinda nuts of the potential swing. But that's a testament to how badly we could miss expectations and/or how mediocre the performance could be (not the whole distance and not bad enough).

Lots of contracts not sorted out yet.
Lots of players not sorted out long term yet.
No idea what the identity of the team is due to certain overhauls and changes from Sutter to Huska. Backlund is C though. :)
Newbie coach, new system, learning
New GM, trade acumen yet to be determined, unsure of assets depending on what moves must be taken
Off ice considerations: Event centre, CSEC, Sutter, ownership etc. that might be a distraction
Etc.

That's why I'm saying it's interesting how we have heavy opinions on either side vs a large contingent of "I have no clue" similar to previous seasons. IMO this is the most unknown seasons we've ever had.

Reactions: deleted user

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Based on certain patterns, the Flames could win the division again (taking turns vs VGK for last few years) or completely miss the last WC spot by around 2-3 slots and rank 24th or worse to draft 6th OA ish again.

It's actually kinda nuts of the potential swing. But that's a testament to how badly we could miss expectations and/or how mediocre the performance could be (not the whole distance and not bad enough).

Lots of contracts not sorted out yet.
Lots of players not sorted out long term yet.
No idea what the identity of the team is due to certain overhauls and changes from Sutter to Huska. Backlund is C though. :)
Newbie coach, new system, learning
New GM, trade acumen yet to be determined, unsure of assets depending on what moves must be taken
Off ice considerations: Event centre, CSEC, Sutter, ownership etc. that might be a distraction
Etc.

That's why I'm saying it's interesting how we have heavy opinions on either side vs a large contingent of "I have no clue" similar to previous seasons. IMO this is the most unknown seasons we've ever had.
Yeah, my opinion isn't that strong. Definitely not worth arguing with people here over it lol

Reactions: Fig

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Squad looks pretty good. Main concern is obviously Huberdeau gelling with either Kadri or Lindholm, and the chemistry of the top 9. Secondly, Huberdeau needs to shoot way more. He claimed he would, when asked during camp.

deleted user

Sponsor
Dec 16, 2019
Maybe Dube on that top line is just the ingredient that was missing. I know, it's crazy optimistic. Would be great though.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
If Huberdeau puts up less than 80-90 points, you might as well pack it up and throw this season in the garbage

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
If Huberdeau puts up less than 80-90 points, you might as well pack it up and throw this season in the garbage
He needs to get Lindholm going

I doubt if he’d get 90. Who is going to do the goal scoring on this team?

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Unless everybody else bounces back too and Markstrom is Guy Hebert. That could also work.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
If Lindholm wants 9M+ he needs to get going on his own
Really wonder now if player/agent overplayed their hand and the Flames called their bluff. Like if they were pushing for 9.3mil because they know the Flames are in trouble without him, Jets players both sign for 8.5mil for 7 and the Flames are now saying take it or leave it. Lindholm had all the leverage, but now comparable are locking up for 8.5mil. If he has a 60-70 point season he could be costing himself a lot of money. No one is going to pay him 8 or 9mil in free agency then.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Lindholm is asking for the moon because he doesn't want to be here in the long-term. Not the first or last player to do that

Reactions: TheHudlinator

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3