Pre-Game Talk: Training Camp Roster and Schedule

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I mean no matter what happens, there are gonna be convenient excuses to wave away the thought of calling up Wolf. At the end of the day, the Saddledome (probably) won’t collapse if we gift a rookie spot regardless of what happens in training camp. But the Flames haven’t figured that out yet.

“Don’t need a repeat of the distracting 3-headed goalie monster”

“We started the season well, why change what’s working?”

“We can’t sell low on Vladar, it’s poor asset management”

“Why sell high when Vladar’s playing well? Wait until the summer”

“Just need to wait for Markstrom to shake off the rust, he’s a seasoned vet and we’re stuck with him. Might as well show faith in him”

“It’s too much pressure to put on a rookie goalie to save our season. Let him dominate in the A and get a deep playoff run there and there’ll be a spot for him next season”

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Both of you have gone off the deep end with this. You must be trolling at this point, or you've become so poisoned by what you wrongly perceive as the Flames keeping young players down, you've abandoned reason.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Both of you have gone off the deep end with this. You must be trolling at this point, or you've become so poisoned by what you wrongly perceive as the Flames keeping young players down, you've abandoned reason.
I think we can have a legit discussion about the best way to develop a player without accusing others of trolling because they disagree.

I genuinely can't believe as a team we had under a .900 sv% and we aren't trying anything different this year.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I think we can have a legit discussion about the best way to develop a player without accusing others of trolling because they disagree.

I genuinely can't believe as a team we had under a .900 sv% and we aren't trying anything different this year.
You wanted to package a 1st with Markstrom to facilitate handing the starter job to Wolf. It has to be a joke, or you've lost credibility in thr debate.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
You wanted to package a 1st with Markstrom to facilitate handing the starter job to Wolf. It has to be a joke, or you've lost credibility in thr debate.
You must be confused never once have I suggested anything like that. I'd trade Vlad for whatever we can

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
You legitimately cannot have a reasonable discussion with ppl you disagree with. Over and over again just resorting to personal jabs.

There’s nothing unreasonable with what those two are saying (well besides the point about moving a first, but otherwise lol). You can’t know what you have if he isn’t given a shot, simple as that.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Reactions: CamPopplestone

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
That post was about vlad Markstrom want even mentioned
You have been harping on the sub-.900 goaltending which is both of them. But that's even worse, if you meant Vladar. Holy shit. Sincere apologies. I assumed you meant Markstrom.

There’s nothing unreasonable with what those two are sayingYou can’t know what you have if he isn’t given a shot, simple as that.
So you should orchestrate a team's plans around one prospect? Give Wolf the starter job because you might lose multiple defensemen the next season? Is that reasonable?

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
You were harping on the sub-.900 goaltending which is both of them. But that's even worse, if you meant Vladar. Holy shit. Sincere apologies. I assumed you meant Markstrom.
No I was told vlad could be worth a 2nd if we waited to move him instead of taking what we could now, I was saying even if he was worth a first if we waited I'd move vlad now for what we can. Wolf is that good

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
No I was told vlad could be worth a 2nd if we waited to move him instead of taking what we could now, I was saying even if he was worth a first if we waited I'd move vlad now for what we can. Wolf is that good
You said you'd gladly give up a first. Poor wording.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
In like 15 minutes we are going to see TONS on guys placed on waivers.

I wonder what we shall do

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I mean no matter what happens, there are gonna be convenient excuses to wave away the thought of calling up Wolf. At the end of the day, the Saddledome (probably) won’t collapse if we gift a rookie spot regardless of what happens in training camp. But the Flames haven’t figured that out yet.

“Just need to wait for Markstrom to shake off the rust, he’s a seasoned vet and we’re stuck with him. Might as well show faith in him”

“It’s too much pressure to put on a rookie goalie to save our season. Let him dominate in the A and get a deep playoff run there and there’ll be a spot for him next season”
This is the equivalent of getting mad at your SO because they messed up in your dream.

Reactions: Lunatik

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009

Its my belief that Wolf likely won't play a significant number of Flames games unless Markstrom gets injured. I hope I'm wrong but the way I see it Markstrom will play game after game, even if he's playing poorly, because the Flames have invested too much money in him and its so much easier to have Wolf playing in the AHL than have Markstrom, Vladar, and Wolf on the roster. Plus, because of Vladar's play, his trade value is also quite low and we all know the only way his trade value will go up is if he gets to play a number of games and hopefully plays well. Because of this I sadly don't see a lot of opportunity for Wolf.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Colin White was signed and waived, and Vinnie Hinostroza was waived today too. I'd like to claim both.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I have to admhit that I had high hopes for the Flames going into training camp. There was the coaching change. Although I honestly think they hired the wrong coach. Frankly I think the Flames had so many better options... but thats water under the bridge and I was just excited that Sutter wouldn't be behind the bench any longer given the clusterf*** that last season turned out to be. Next there was the promise of Pelletier becoming a top 6 fwd, Ruzicka grabbing the bull by the horns and showing Sutter he was wrong, Coronato continuing to shine like he did with Harvard, Kylington coming back into the lineup, and Sharangovich proving that he's better than NJ thought he was, and Wolf getting a solid opportunity to win multiple games in the Flames net.
Needless to say, right now my hopes aren't as high.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
This is the equivalent of getting mad at your SO because they messed up in your dream.
I disagree. The Flames are the most conservative team in the league in terms of graduating prospects (not an opinion, an outright fact in the last 5 years). And so each of those of explanations has been packaged in some form by a contingent of fans to communicate why we should hold off on infusing youth in the line-up.

But while the Flames are busy trying to be patient and perfect a souffle that might get them in a wildcard position, the rest of the league is busy making stews and trying to make the most of limited cap space.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I disagree. The Flames are the most conservative team in the league in terms of graduating prospects (not an opinion, an outright fact in the last 5 years). And so each of those of explanations has been packaged in some form by a contingent of fans to communicate why we should hold off on infusing youth in the line-up.

But while the Flames are busy trying to be patient and perfect a souffle that might get them in a wildcard position, the rest of the league is busy making stews and trying to make the most of limited cap space.
If they don't call up wolf at all, then that's a problem. There's no way they don't though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad