Pre-Game Talk: Training Camp Roster and Schedule

deleted user

Sponsor
Dec 16, 2019
O_O we're all fans here. Just calm down you guys, there's no point furthering any animosity. Let's just be ready to cheer the team for opening night.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Guessing they'll send Solovyov down just to emphasize how full of crap Conroy was this summer when he talked about spots being available for the prospects that performed the best.

It's gonna be hilarious if/when one or all of Oesterle, Hunt and Schwindt are on the opening night lineup given how terrible they've been. Absolutely baffling how hard it is for Flames to hire a coach that actually believes in a meritocracy.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Guessing they'll send Solovyov down just to emphasize how full of crap Conroy was this summer when he talked about spots being available for the prospects that performed the best.

It's gonna be hilarious if/when one or all of Oesterle, Hunt and Schwindt are on the opening night lineup given how terrible they've been. Absolutely baffling how hard it is for Flames to hire a coach that actually believes in a meritocracy.
Hunt, Oesterle and Schwindt haven't been terrible, what are you talking about?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I disagree. The Flames are the most conservative team in the league in terms of graduating prospects (not an opinion, an outright fact in the last 5 years). And so each of those of explanations has been packaged in some form by a contingent of fans to communicate why we should hold off on infusing youth in the line-up.

But while the Flames are busy trying to be patient and perfect a souffle that might get them in a wildcard position, the rest of the league is busy making stews and trying to make the most of limited cap space.
We can completely agree that making those decisions in the future would be a mistake, but what I can't get on board with is the false dichotomy that making this current good decision renders those future bad decisions to be inevitable.

Putting Wolf into the NHL right now, without knowing if he'll sink or swim in a heavy role, would mean that either we run a three-headed monster (which is known to have drawbacks for NHL teams) or we lose Vladar for free. The latter would remove our safety net in case of Wolf not being ready for a 1B role or injury occurring. Two possibilities would be introduced: in case of an injury to Markstrom, the Flames would probably go out looking for a goalie, and may need to spend an asset to cover for the decision made right now*. In case of Wolf being outplayed by Markstrom, we could end up with Wolf riding a whole lot of pine in order to give the Flames the best chance to succeed, or sending Wolf down to avoid this (which would feel like a demotion) and either calling someone else up to endure that fate or else acquire someone. Note that these possibilities I'm referring to are things that would be outside of the Flames' control.

Now, your argument for Wolf being thrust into the NHL is similarly predicated on what possibilities it opens up, but the possibilities you are bringing up aren't things that would happen to the Flames, they are decisions that the Flames themselves entirely control. So at any point, given that they have already said that they know Wolf needs NHL games, they can just... not do that and act in their own self-interest exactly as planned. I just simply can't equate those concerns with ones around unforeseen circumstances and contingency plans.

Now, just to shakily bring up some precedent, this is not actually the first time I can remember the Flames using a minor-league prospect as the de facto backup while letting someone else ride pine. I have very low confidence in the names I'm going to use to fill the blank spaces in my mind, but I want to say that Joni Ortio acted as backup for a while while Henrik Karlsson (the Calgary Tower) was the one permanently on the roster. And, as we know, Ortio did eventually get a run of starts, and eventually was exposed as a guy with significant holes that the NHL shooters learned how to exploit. Not to say that Wolf is on that track (we all hope he isn't) but just to say that the Flames can do this exactly as they intend to. I am not 100% on the characters involved but I do remember with confidence that it happened.

*: it is not a stretch to imagine Vladar going and becoming some team's saviour while the Flames toss a 2nd for someone else's goalie just to make ends meet. The main boards would find this to be simply delightful.

Last edited:

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
If it's a personal attack to accuse someone of resorting to personal attacks, you did it first.
Accuses ppl of trolling and going off the deep end, gets offended for getting called out. K.

O_O we're all fans here. Just calm down you guys, there's no point furthering any animosity. Let's just be ready to cheer the team for opening night.
Sorry, I got no problem telling posters to check themselves. Guy does it casually all the time, it’s beyond annoying and isn’t productive discourse.

You have been harping on the sub-.900 goaltending which is both of them. But that's even worse, if you meant Vladar. Holy shit. Sincere apologies. I assumed you meant Markstrom.

So you should orchestrate a team's plans around one prospect? Give Wolf the starter job because you might lose multiple defensemen the next season? Is that reasonable?
The point is there can always be excuses as to why the time is never ideal to give wolf a shot. He might not be good enough, the team needs to utilize assets better (even though we don’t know how the league values vladar), the team needs to give the vets a chance, etc etc. The excuses were aplenty last season too, and ironically our risk adverseness might have cost the team a playoff spot.

Last edited:

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Rosen, Greer, and JAD are upgrades on Hunt, Schwindt and Oesterle. Would like to see one of them claimed.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Rosen, Greer, and JAD are upgrades on Hunt, Schwindt and Oesterle. Would like to see one of them claimed.
Ya right now our 4th line and 3rd pair is a dogs breakfast. We need to get some better bodies in those positions. Dryden Hunt and Jordan Oesterle don’t cut it for regular players.

• Haha
Reactions: Haatley

deleted user

Sponsor
Dec 16, 2019
I thought Oesterle looked fine at first. The more games played he started wilting.. big time.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I have to admhit that I had high hopes for the Flames going into training camp. There was the coaching change. Although I honestly think they hired the wrong coach. Frankly I think the Flames had so many better options... but thats water under the bridge and I was just excited that Sutter wouldn't be behind the bench any longer given the clusterf*** that last season turned out to be. Next there was the promise of Pelletier becoming a top 6 fwd, Ruzicka grabbing the bull by the horns and showing Sutter he was wrong, Coronato continuing to shine like he did with Harvard, Kylington coming back into the lineup, and Sharangovich proving that he's better than NJ thought he was, and Wolf getting a solid opportunity to win multiple games in the Flames net.
Needless to say, right now my hopes aren't as high.
People that blame the Flames problem on Sutter will be in for a big shock

The wizard was the real problem. Sutter was just a problem, not even close to the biggest problem.

Reactions: Backlund

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Me trying to guess what path our season will go…

Glad to see some others can see in absolutes. I’m not sure how things will go. It could go in either direction.

Arguing means passion. Nothing wrong with passion, but it heavily depends how you make up afterwards.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
People that blame the Flames problem on Sutter will be in for a big shock

The wizard was the real problem. Sutter was just a problem, not even close to the biggest problem.

The result this season will be similar unless there is a big change to the roster. Coronato looks ready and should help but I doubt he'll be able to match what Toffoli did last season yet. The problem with this team was always the roster. Sutter is the scapegoat for a much bigger problem and Treliving left so he wouldn't be responsible for fixing the mess he created.

Reactions: DFF

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada

FzUzW7DWwA8YwhU.jpg

This fan base is on edge based on last year. Thats somewhat reasonable.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Klapka, Schwindt & Solovyov have all be sent to the Wranglers. This leaves 24 in camp, and 21 healthy bodies.

This either suggests they put in a waiver claims, or are just keeping injured players active before moving them to LTIR

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
The Flames: Reserves spots for Coronato, Pelletier, Ruzicka, and Duehr coming into camp. Put forth a plan to get Dustin Wolf NHL games this year.

The fans: I knew they were lying about the youth movement, they didn’t even get Solovyov on the team.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The Flames: Reserves spots for Coronato, Pelletier, Ruzicka, and Duehr coming into camp. Put forth a plan to get Dustin Wolf NHL games this year.

The fans: I knew they were lying about the youth movement, they didn’t even get Solovyov on the team.
Funny thing is Solovyov could be recalled tomorrow. Connie has some cap gymnastics to do and once guys go on LTIR, we'll have enough space to add 2 bodies... or less if there are waiver claims(s)

Reactions: barriers

deleted user

Sponsor
Dec 16, 2019
Isn't he a 7th rounder? Maybe it was a 5th. I love those stories when they pop off. He looked damn steady.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Me trying to guess what path our season will go…

Glad to see some others can see in absolutes. I’m not sure how things will go. It could go in either direction.

Arguing means passion. Nothing wrong with passion, but it heavily depends how you make up afterwards.

Imagine if everyone just agrees

It’s Sutter’s fault. Our magnificent youth don’t even get a chance

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012

They really should split the league off into two: the real NHL(U24), and the 25+ year old senior tour. That way, my precious prospects I'm gaga over won't be held back year after year, and get a fair chance.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Yeah totally right.

Would way rather watch Jordan Oesterle and Dryden Hunt be the same nothings they've been for years, except this time it's for the Flames.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
In my ideal league, Hunt and Oesterle would have already retired tbh. There's so many intriguing players age 18-23 right now, I would rather find out if they're nothing and flush the established guys out of hockey entirely, than try to build a competitive roster. I just want to see what we've got waiting in the wings.

• Haha
Reactions: Haatley

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Oesterle's dob is not sexy. at. all. bruh. 1992. Revolting. Now, if he had somehow been born in the aughts, that style of play, his toolkit, would be so f***ing valuable to this team. not even funny.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Oz was practicing with Tanev today a d Zaddy w/ Weegs. I think those are actually solid combinations

Reactions: NinjaTurtle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad