Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Players left in camp....

Goaltenders (2)
Jacob Markstrom
and Daniel Vladar.

They’re both on one-way NHL deals and are locks.

Defensemen (10)
Rasmus Andersson, Noah Hanifin, Jordan Oesterle, Chris Tanev, MacKenzie Weegar and Nikita Zadorov
are all established NHL players with one-way contracts. Dennis Gilbert is a less established NHL player, but he’s on a one-way contract. That’s seven guys right there. Ilya Solovyov is waiver exempt and can be sent to the Wranglers without any risks. Nick DeSimone was placed on waivers on Thursday.
Oliver Kylington has been away from the team and will presumably be placed on the non-roster list to begin camp.

Forwards (18)
Eight players are established NHLers on one-way deals: Mikael Backlund, Blake Coleman, Dillon Dube, Jonathan Huberdeau, Nazem Kadri, Elias Lindholm, Andrew Mangiapane and Yegor Sharangovich. Two others are less established NHLers on one-way deals: Walker Duehr and Adam Ruzicka. Matt Coronato has been arguably Calgary’s best player in training camp. So that’s 11 players right there. Martin Pospisil and Emilio Pettersen were placed on waivers on Thursday.
Jakob Pelletier had shoulder surgery and Kevin Rooney needs shoulder surgery. Both are out long-term and will start on the injured-non-roster list.
So that leaves three players for two or three spots: Dryden Hunt is on a two-way, but he requires waivers and has played over 200 NHL games. Adam Klapka and Cole Schwindt are both waiver exempt. Klapka has played zero NHL games, Schwindt has played three. It seems like that one (or both) of Klapka and Schwindt start the season on the NHL roster, depending on if the Flames opt to carry one or two extra forwards.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
It seems like that one (or both) of Klapka and Schwindt start the season on the NHL roster, depending on if the Flames opt to carry one or two extra forwards.
I think it is far more likely the Flames claim a player or two off waivers. Or sign somoene released from a PTO as none of these guys are idea for the 4C position.

I'm hoping Colin White gets released from his PTO

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
For the claim, I don't think it's limited to full time 4C/swing wing. I think a dedicated winger that can also take faceoffs is an option if it allows the young guy to be insulated against those while also learning first hand from that player. That way someone like Hunt can deal with the 5v5, and can share faceoff responsibilities with someone. Someone like Frolik we've done stuff like that in the past, same with Stajan, I think (I thought we should have tried Stajan on wing more. It was rare IIRC)... Someone like Ryan too could be a possibility.

(Also cue Lucic faceoff joke for injured Bennett)

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Do you like how Buffalo has been handling Levi. IMO that’s possible a realistic scenario if we imitate it. I think they're trying to follow Saro's path, but forgot there's a Covid related slow down in their development. It's not bad, but if Wolf had a .905 after <9 games, I'd want him to get more regular games. If that's not as a back up to improve from .905, then it's as the starter in the AHL and being brought up to play more games when the starter needs a day off. He prove nothing and improves nothing sitting on the bench, esp if the coach doesn't believe in pulling goalies.

We can’t fully emulate Saros because of certain slow downs to Wolf's development path due to the pandemic. I don't know what that slow down is, but an estimated 12-18 month loss or slowed development solely due to that.

No. There's a 3rd reason and it's been a reason since Treliving. It's doing right by one of the goalies. In the long run, we want to do right by our former players. Being ruthless like VGK might work if there's a lineup down the block for high end talent wanting to rush to your team. Unfortunately we're a Canadian team and this is not the case. We don't want to rush out Vladar only for Wolf to have it in the back of his mind that if he struggles, we'd do the same to him. Knowing that we stood by V and then did right by him to give him a new place for him to hopefully succeed there, that can help keep Wolf at ease and just focus on being awesome.

I think some goalies play better in a contract year or if they're worried someone might steal their job. But I honestly think more goalies break when that happens than succeed. I don't have anything to back it up, but TBH, I honestly think most of them break in the AHL before they reach the NHL, but still in the NHL, more break than succeed with that pressure. Prospects, established AND veteran goalies.

Doing right by the player is important IMO. We don't like it if a player doesn't do right by us (ie: Gaudreau albeit we sorta get it) and are very happy if the player does (ie: Tkachuk). Players like Hathaway, Lomberg, Phillips, Valimaki, Macket etc. I would hope if someone asked them if they'd have a chance in the Flames org, they'd be an ambassador for us. Something along the lines of "Good place to develop. Even if they don't have a spot for you, they'll do their best to do right by you. Would have been nice to have a longer role there, but I enjoyed every minute of it."

Like I posted earlier. I'm of the opinion that yours and @Tkachuk Norris 's opinion isn't incorrect. The rest of us just need the opportunity to catch up. Metaphorically speaking, we're still reading the synopsis on the back cover and the two of you have read to chapter 2. Let us read the story and catch up in a way that's enjoyable to us, lol.

No idea how putting Vlad on waivers is doing wrong by him. If he gets claimed he gets playing time if he doesn't get claimed he can rebuild his value in the ahl. Literally all we are doing is keeping Wolf from getting the best learning opportunity and saving 700k by not giving him is nhl value.

Literally no free agent will look at vlad going on waivers as a reason not to come and if a player didn't come here in fear of being cut by a young player then I wouldn't want them here anyway.

If anything I'd say not keeping Wolf isn't doing right by the player because of the financial difference to him and the fact he could be learning from vezina finalist on how to practice and prepare.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
No idea how putting Vlad on waivers is doing wrong by him. If he gets claimed he gets playing time if he doesn't get claimed he can rebuild his value in the ahl. Literally all we are doing is keeping Wolf from getting the best learning opportunity and saving 700k by not giving him is nhl value.

Literally no free agent will look at vlad going on waivers as a reason not to come and if a player didn't come here in fear of being cut by a young player then I wouldn't want them here anyway.

If anything I'd say not keeping Wolf isn't doing right by the player because of the financial difference to him and the fact he could be learning from vezina finalist on how to practice and prepare.
What message is it sending to the players who already made the NHL prior, and the core group, if you cut a guy like Vladar for a rookie who didn't outplay anybody at his position in camp?

Reactions: Fig

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

Wolf didn't didn't outplay Vladar. Turfing Vladar at the first sign of trouble for a new kid (ie: before his new contract even started) is just a bad way to do things. Yes, he can rebuild there, but it seems like an abandonment if Vladar isn't given warnings first, then an opportunity to redeem himself. That's why I highlighted that facet in my post.

Then if you do V dirty, Wolf might think that at the first sign of trouble, they'll do him dirty too. That type of concern and worry and pressure is the type of thing that can crater someone mental health wise (ie: Knight's recent issues + what happened with Parsons). But if he sees the team working with V while still giving him an opportunity, it's a better approach.

What I am also saying is that I am not opposed to the idea you're proposing, I just do not believe it is best practices to do it now in a rushed manner. If V is ass 15-20 games in (after we give him a warning now), then I think AHL demotion is valid if a trade cannot transpire. I just believe without giving him some runway to play a portion of that new contract of his, it's a scenario with more negatives than positives if we write him off.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Lets face it... Sharangovich has struggled to make an impact so far. He's been mediocre at best.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Lets face it... Sharangovich has struggled to make an impact so far. He's been mediocre at best.

He didn’t show much at all during the pre-season. It’s telling how quickly he got demoted. Not impressed, hope we see a lot more in the rs.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Ok fair enough then let's let Wolf play in the same league, get the same practice, get the same routine and find out?

Also none of those guys looked this good
That's literally the plan. Come a couple of months I feel like they'll know what Wolf is as an NHL player this season.

Reactions: Lunatik

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
That's literally the plan. Come a couple of months I feel like they'll know what Wolf is as an NHL player this season.
But they aren't the suggestions have been to throw him in for a game here or there he isn't going to get the chance to practice nor get use to the D and system. It's asking him to do a much harder job.

What message is it sending to the players who already made the NHL prior, and the core group, if you cut a guy like Vladar for a rookie who didn't outplay anybody at his position in camp?
Wolf was just as good at worse and the message is out play the young cheap players or you will be moved. If that message scares a player they shouldn't be on the team.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
But they aren't the suggestions have been to throw him in for a game here or there he isn't going to get the chance to practice nor get use to the D and system. It's asking him to do a much harder job.

Wolf was just as good at worse and the message is out play the young cheap players or you will be moved. If that message scares a player they shouldn't be on the team.
a three-headed goalie monster is the absolute worst idea, it takes time from EVERYONE and is a much worse situation for Wolf as he'd end up sitting at least 2/3 of the time. He's still f***ing 22, playing time means more than anything, regular AHL games + the odd NHL is far superior to him riding the pine.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020

He didn’t show much at all during the pre-season. It’s telling how quickly he got demoted. Not impressed, hope we see a lot more in the rs.
It’s preseason, veterans don’t care much during pre-season, they use it for getting timings right and warming up without getting injured. Coronato has by far been our best forward this pre-season, showing he’s earned the right to be in the lineup. The second that it flips to the regular season, and I say this as one of Coronato’s loudest supporters, that won’t be anywhere close to the case. Veterans really shouldn’t be judged by their performance in pre-season, it’s barely a step above the all star game for them while other players are out there fighting for the right to an NHL career.

Let’s put it this way, some of the top 25 scorers in the NHL right now are Oesterle, Cousins, Veleno, Bahl, Carrick, and Lazar. All guys who are fighting for their life to be/remain in the NHL

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
It’s preseason, veterans don’t care much during pre-season, they use it for getting timings right and warming up without getting injured. Coronato has by far been our best forward this pre-season, showing he’s earned the right to be in the lineup. The second that it flips to the regular season, and I say this as one of Coronato’s loudest supporters, that won’t be anywhere close to the case. Veterans really shouldn’t be judged by their performance in pre-season, it’s barely a step above the all star game for them while other players are out there fighting for the right to an NHL career.

Let’s put it this way, some of the top 25 scorers in the NHL right now are Oesterle, Cousins, Veleno, Bahl, Carrick, and Lazar. All guys who are fighting for their life to be/remain in the NHL
Sharangovich is not necessarily a hard-seasoned vet... guy has a lot to prove here

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009

I wouldn't exactly call Sharangovich a veteran. With only 205 NHL games under his belt he still has a lot to prove. He's a lock to make the Flames but he wouldn't be on many other teams. He started out playing on the 1st line and in 8 preseason games and practices has managed to work himself down to the 3rd line.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Sharangovich is not necessarily a hard-seasoned vet... guy has a lot to prove here
He could spend the entire pre season with his laces untied and would still have a guaranteed spot in the lineup this year and the next. This site thinks he has something to prove this pre season, he thinks he needs to warm his legs up and get used to playing with new players.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
I wouldn't exactly call Sharangovich a veteran. With only 205 NHL games under his belt he still has a lot to prove. He's a lock to make the Flames but he wouldn't be on many other teams. He started out playing on the 1st line and in 8 preseason games and practices has managed to work himself down to the 3rd line.
People keep saying playing down on the 3rd line like he’s been demoted. Mangiapane has done nothing this pre season either and finds himself on the first line, did he earn his way up there with his play? Or is it maybe just pre season and we are throwing lines in a blender to see who has chemistry and what works? No vet is being judged on their performance right now, and yes 200 nhl games is quite literally a veteran as far as the arms are concerned, Sharangovich will play in the NHL for the next 2 seasons plus regardless of what he does in a camp.

Reactions: Fig and Lunatik

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Rango is trying to find his fit on the team. New teammates, new coach, new country... and he's played maybe 4-5 games max?

It might take some time.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
a three-headed goalie monster is the absolute worst idea, it takes time from EVERYONE and is a much worse situation for Wolf as he'd end up sitting at least 2/3 of the time. He's still f***ing 22, playing time means more than anything, regular AHL games + the odd NHL is far superior to him riding the pine.
Not suggesting 3 goalies waive Vlad

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad