Training camp opens in approx. 3 weeks, who makes the cut?

Token

May 15, 2019
I don't think that's very dark at all! I think he's got instant middle-sixer written all over him. If nothing else, that similar motor will be endearing.
Have to see him on small ice first.

Some Swedes excel in that, others dry up.

Almost there...

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
As we get closer here's what I think is the opening night roster--

Iafallo-Kopitar-Brown
Kempe-Vilardi-Frk
Fagemo-Lizotte-Carter
Moore-JAD-Wagner
Amadio, Grundstrom

Turcotte, Kupari, Thomas, Dudas with coffee callups

Maatta-Doughty
Bjornfot-Roy
Anderson-Walker
MacD, Clague

I know that's not very sexy/exciting as we're hoping for Byfield, kaliyev, etc. but with so much upheaval and the WJCs I can't imagine some guys walking into a pro season without a training camp unless there's an extended taxi squad/black aces scenario for the whole season, nor can I imagine burning a year of ELC on a weird ass half-season. BUT--I can imagine someone surprising in camp again like Lizotte did, maybe Dudas makes Moore redundant, for example.

Kupari will do well to just stay healthy and grow this year. Thomas, Turcotte need to dominate the AHL. Bjornfot/Clague/Anderson we've covered at length, they won't get a full season anyway but they'll start getting games.

I'm sure I'm forgetting someone, wrote quickly.

Token

May 15, 2019

Iafallo-Kopitar-Brown
Kempe-Vilardi-Frk
Fagemo-Lizotte-Carter
Moore-JAD-Wagner
Amadio, Grundstrom

Maatta-Doughty
Bjornfot-Roy
Anderson-Walker
MacD, Clague

I know that's not very sexy/exciting as we're hoping for Byfield, kaliyev, etc. but with so much upheaval and the WJCs I can't imagine some guys walking into a pro season without a training camp unless there's an extended taxi squad/black aces scenario for the whole season, nor can I imagine burning a year of ELC on a weird ass half-season. BUT--I can imagine someone surprising in camp again like Lizotte did, maybe Dudas makes Moore redundant, for example.

Kupari will do well to just stay healthy and grow this year. Thomas, Turcotte need to dominate the AHL. Bjornfot/Clague/Anderson we've covered at length, they won't get a full season anyway but they'll start getting games.

Well rounded roster there ... but ...

We have to wait for the “opt-out” and “contract tolling” portions of the agreement for this short season.

I wouldn’t be surprised one bit if there are veteran players looking to sit out this short season for family reasons.

Carter, Quick, and Brown come to mind ...

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
If one of the taxi squad players must be a goalie then it changes things a LOT. Heck it changes things a lot anyway. Players have to clear waivers to be added or removed from the taxi squad according to reports.

So many possibilities...

dman3474

Feb 21, 2009
L.A.
I wonder what kind of taxi squad limitations there will be, like could Byfield hang out on the taxi squad and be inserted in one of every six games and not hit his 10th game for the season so he doesn't burn a year off?

Probably wouldn't be able to happen, i'm guessing they would have to be AHL eligible. But the follow up question would be, if that scenario could play out, would it be more beneficial for him to do that and practice with the team everyday? Or go back to junior? Same call for Kaliyev.

Reactions: andys and funky

ricardfromage

"You wanted the Germs, you get em"
Mar 5, 2020
paradise
Of course Lias A will make the team but I see Akil being a sure fire asset this season too. Our bottom 6 is going to be significantly better for the next several seasons. Whoever gets to watch Ontario this coming season is going to be in for a teat too.

My darkhorse is Dudas. Mgmt loves him or so it is said. I also could see Turcotte making the team to start the season or at least getting his 9 games. The kids are going to start making room for themselves on a large scale level over the next season or two.

On D I know that Toby is the big favorite but I have to think that Clague gets a good long look too. He has all the skills to make the team and has developed into a solid bottom pairing D with a bunch of upside. He should get a look and so should Holts. I don't see QB being close to ready for the NHL just yet but when he is he should become a very good top 6 forward. He just needs time.

yankeeking

Jun 4, 2007
I.E.
The Rams and Chargers play here just no fans ,why would it be different for the kings , or is it because of more insideish in smaller venue, I should call Luc and sell him some air scrubbers (UV lights)

Reactions: KopitarFAN

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca

Iafallo-Kopitar-Brown
Kempe-Vilardi-Frk
Fagemo-Lizotte-Carter
Moore-JAD-Wagner
Amadio, Grundstrom

Maatta-Doughty
Bjornfot-Roy
Anderson-Walker
MacD, Clague

I’d lean toward Lias making the team over Moore just because they need to decide if they need to protect him come expansion time. And part of me hopes somebody can knock Kempe out of that 2nd line position.

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
Does anyone know if LiasA and Moverare have come over to NA yet to prepare for training camp? I expect Lias to make the team and Moverare to fight for a roster spot.

Clague really needs to show up ready to play. Hopefully he’s been putting in the time. He’ll get passed over by some of the young players coming up.

Reactions: RocketKing

RocketKing

Jul 2, 2017
The taxi squad helps us. Gives us allot of latitude to roll new young guys in while not putting that expectation on them to be the guy every game. If we end up playing in say Vegas with the West maybe that opens a trade possibility fair Carter to one of the top 3 teams given they are all gonna play there too anyway? I don't hold big expectations for him with his age but some older players who have had significant nagging injuries that put in allot of work have come out pretty solid. Will be interesting to see if he does that or just takes the retired-in-place route. Also I think we just need to move on from Amadio, he's never going to make it IMO.

Vino

Mar 19, 2006
Finland
Does anyone know if LiasA and Moverare have come over to NA yet to prepare for training camp?

I think Moverare should be in California already because they (LA Kings) recall him on Wednesday and therefore he didn't play on Friday (IFK - Saipa).

Reactions: andys

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Does anyone know if LiasA and Moverare have come over to NA yet to prepare for training camp? I expect Lias to make the team and Moverare to fight for a roster spot.

Clague really needs to show up ready to play. Hopefully he’s been putting in the time. He’ll get passed over by some of the young players coming up.

Yes, they are in quarantine in preparation for camp. The following players who were playing in Europe are in camp:

Andersson
Fagemo
Grundstrom
Sodergran
Moverare

Updated: List of 36 Players Expected at Kings Training Camp

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Have this gut feeling Kupari sticks with the big club by the end of the season. This hiatus gave him the time to fully heal from that ACL injury, hopefully he can shake off the rust and continue his development

While its great that he's fully healthy given the extended hiatus, but he's he's basically lost a year of development. Now he may be on even footing with all the other prospects because everyone else hasn't played either, but still think he's behind several guys. I'm really pulling for the guy though. He's now one of our sleeper prospects who could really shine given some time.

Peter James Bond III

CHROMIAK COMETH
Jul 8, 2020

Iafallo-Kopitar-Brown
Kempe-Vilardi-Frk
Fagemo-Lizotte-Carter
Moore-JAD-Wagner
Amadio, Grundstrom

Maatta-Doughty
Bjornfot-Roy
Anderson-Walker
MacD, Clague

Things are looking up and excited we're mere days away. You covered everyone well...and just add Tyler Madden, Aidan Dudas and Cole Hults to the Ontario list.
I say in 2 years, no one would deal Tyler Madden for Tyler Toffoli! Heck, maybe even months from now. The Kings got the best Tyler in that deal Plus, the second rd one this
past draft. Was that pick the one traded, to move up for Faber? Anyone?

Token

May 15, 2019
Here is my vote for a Team Kopi vs. Team Lardo daily scrimmage during camp.

Iafallo Kopitar Brown —— Kempe Vilardi Frk
Turcotte Lizotte Carter — Grundy Lias Fagemo
Wags JAD Madden —- Kupari Thomas Dudas
Bokonji Eyssimont - Söder Amadio Luff

Maatta Doughty ——- Björnfot Walker
Clague Strand ———- Anderson Roy
Moverare/MacD Durzi ——- Brickley Alt

Quick ———— Petersen
Grosenick —-- Villalta

Roster limit for camp is 36 skaters so some will have to sit. Wildcards are Bokonji, Rymsha, Phillips, Alt and the likes. Have contracts but maths don’t work for all.

I added MacD as the 7th D on team Kopi and they short a forward.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I wonder what kind of taxi squad limitations there will be, like could Byfield hang out on the taxi squad and be inserted in one of every six games and not hit his 10th game for the season so he doesn't burn a year off?

Probably wouldn't be able to happen, i'm guessing they would have to be AHL eligible. But the follow up question would be, if that scenario could play out, would it be more beneficial for him to do that and practice with the team everyday? Or go back to junior? Same call for Kaliyev.

I think I read the 10 game limit is prorated downwards since the season isn't a full 82 so the Kings won't be able to give them 10 games.

Reactions: KopitarFAN

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad