Training camp opens in approx. 3 weeks, who makes the cut?

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Apologies for intruding but has this been reported that camp starts in 3 weeks for the 7 teams that didn’t make the bubble?

They said the non-bubble teams would get a 7-10 additional days prior to start of training camp. If they are targeting Jan 1st, training camp would start around Dec 15th.

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
Apologies for intruding but has this been reported that camp starts in 3 weeks for the 7 teams that didn’t make the bubble?

Even greater apologies for intruding but.......

.....where the Hell are the Kings supposed to play???

California has a governor who won't even allow Disneyland to open. He, most assuredly, will never allow Staples center to open, yes?

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland

California has a governor who won't even allow Disneyland to open. He, most assuredly, will never allow Staples center to open, yes?
You say “even allow Disneyland to open” as if Disneyland is a mom & pop soda shop with 10 visitors a day instead of 8x the daily capacity of Staples center venue that it is. If you’re expecting fans in the building in January you’re probably going to be disappointed.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Can't wait until a week from Thursday when we celebrate ThanksGavin to honor our fearless leader.

So that means you won't be attending my private party at French Laundry that night?

As to answer the original question, it is 2020 and the days of 1st round picks needing years and years of development are long over with the way kids train and eat now, not even factoring in the contract stuff.

All of Byfield, Turcotte and Bjornfot should be going into camp with realistic goals of making the team, I'd be shocked if the Kings go against the overwhelming trend over the past decade and send a #2 overall back to junior, maybe Covid changes things, but I'd still be surprised. The other two will probably start the year down there, but they should be counted on to be NHL caliber players sometime during the season with the expectations they will be somewhat significant contributors in 21-22.

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
You say “even allow Disneyland to open” as if Disneyland is a mom & pop soda shop with 10 visitors a day instead of 8x the daily capacity of Staples center venue that it is. If you’re expecting fans in the building in January you’re probably going to be disappointed.

WRONG!

In "The Magic Kingdom", it's a lot more possible for the "social distancing" thing to happen with several outside rides, et. al. In Staples Center, not really, unless capacity is limited to 25%, which would be crappy.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
WRONG!

In "The Magic Kingdom", it's a lot more possible for the "social distancing" thing to happen with several outside rides, et. al. In Staples Center, not really, unless capacity is limited to 25%, which would be crappy.
The limited capacity is a given, for the start of the season, from what Cheeseman said on Kings of the Podcast. Maybe 20%, depending on the Covid alert level.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Byfield? Turcotte? Bjornfot?
I think all 3 have a very good chance. They have all been working hard during the break, Turcotte has added plenty of muscle as has Byfield and Björnfot has been playing. The world juniors even if they don’t have great tournaments mean they will have gotten rid of the ‘ring rust’ by the time they are fighting for a spot on the roster so it has to help. Akil Thomas will get a long look too, but I’d bet on AHL currently. Lias Anderson, assuming they do get him over, almost certainly starts in LA. JAD is the other one I expect to see start the season in LA.

The shorter season lends itself to playing more rookies IMO, so seeing all these guys get a significant number of games isn’t a stretch. People seem to think the Kings make roster decisions to make sure they don’t lose the likes of Amadio to waivers. However, I don’t see anyone picking up players that didn’t make a team, that finished 28th last year, especially with the flat cap. If spots exist teams are going to want to use them to give opportunities to their own prospects. I don’t see anyone getting picked up and they have no value in terms of being an asset anyway. The only one that would get picked up is MacDermid, because he offers something different so they is no chance we’d waive him. I’m assuming Clague is still waiver exempt, but he’s quickly falling down the depth chart anyway, unless he can make a meaningful step forward coming into camp.

Reactions: Kings Rule

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011

You haven't been paying attention. The league will probably be going with the concept of several, less restricted, bubbles. Teams will fly in for 10 days, then go home to their families for 10 days. Something like that....

Divisions will be re-aligned and teams will only play in their division. The Canadian teams will have their own division and won't need to cross the border.

2020-21 NHL schedule still up in the air | ProHockeyTalk | NBC Sports

Last edited:

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
So that means you won't be attending my private party at French Laundry that night?

As to answer the original question, it is 2020 and the days of 1st round picks needing years and years of development are long over with the way kids train and eat now, not even factoring in the contract stuff.

All of Byfield, Turcotte and Bjornfot should be going into camp with realistic goals of making the team, I'd be shocked if the Kings go against the overwhelming trend over the past decade and send a #2 overall back to junior, maybe Covid changes things, but I'd still be surprised. The other two will probably start the year down there, but they should be counted on to be NHL caliber players sometime during the season with the expectations they will be somewhat significant contributors in 21-22.
I can still make it if you are picking up the check. I will just make a public apology the next day, then snicker into my cuff as I leave the stage.

DrHansReinhardt

Nov 12, 2019
Drafting 14th
People who think the governor shuts down business just because are dopes. There is a pandemic happening. Medical experts recommended the safety protocols. Are you a medical expert? If naysayers did what the drs said we'd be that much closer to opening up ffs. Do the right thing and wear a mask. Its probably the easiest gd thing we can do to help.

I think Byfield sticks.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
WRONG!

Just because you type in all caps doesn't make it true. You don't want capacity limited? Good luck.

Reactions: BlackMetalED

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
WRONG!

You do know that Covid is transmissable through surfaces as well, right?

Jul 31, 2005
CA
When you leave the "offseason with Mark Alt I'd assume the Kings will play every kid and might even be after a few rec leaguers on tryout and we haven't even got to the opt outs which the Kings should lead the league you think Brown will be allowed to be away from home for 2 weeks?

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
I think Byfield sticks, Turcotte will make it difficult but be sent down(he'll be back tho).
Grundy, JAD and Kale really need to impress and stick or they'll be moved out in a package of some sort
Looking at the reamining UFA, I wouldn't mind if Blake made a run for Vatanen, Haula and/or Granlund. They are all priced out since so many teams are at the limit and the Kings could offer top 6/top 4 playing time and then move them out.. 1-2 year contracts with our cap space is doable, longshot but i'd like to see it.. It also allows the kids to further develop without any added pressures

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Lets keep the Covid talk in the Covid thread please.

I think there's a possibility that we could see expanded rosters this upcoming season which makes me think if that happens then we'll see Kaliyev and Byfield on the team. In a shortened season I don't think I see those 2 getting much development playing half of an OHL season.

Reactions: KingTech

Token

May 15, 2019
Grundy and Luff - waivers needed to send down. Not saying it locks them on the roster but it will be a consideration.

JAD and Clague will marinate longer in the A. Clague is definitely triad bait. But he gotta show something before he has value.

JAD is not going anywhere. He is 100% lunch pail, blue collar, heart in the sleeve glue guy. You don’t demote a busted top-6 down, you build a guy that’s gonna own that middle six. Bottom line: we need roll players and not just superstars.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Behind you
youtu.be

The Kings don't practice or hold training camp there

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
If training camp starts in mid-December, then how does that impact the young guys playing in the World Juniors? The latter won't end until January 5th. So while those guys will be playing and in shape, they won't be with the Kings early on and thus it seems would hamper their small chances to make the team.

Reactions: andys

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->