Training camp opens in approx. 3 weeks, who makes the cut?

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
I grabbed our lines off the GDT from Game #69 because I am a f***ing pervert.

Iafallo Kopitar Brown
Kempe Vilardi Frk
Moore Lizotte Wagner
Porkins Amadio Lewis

Hutton Doughty
Anderson Roy
MacDermid Walker

Scratched: Joakim Ryan
Injuries: Jeff Carter

Out:
Porkins
Lewis
Hutton (still a UFA)
Ryan

In:
Like Flynn
Maata
Alt
Grosenik

The defense is easier:
Anderson
Doughty
Maata
MacDermid
Roy
Walker

I think Bjornfot is the most likely to make the team of all our of D prospects. Number two would be Foghorn Claguehorn

The forwards:
The locks: Brown, Carter, Iafallo, Kopitar
Probably not in trouble: Kempe, Lizotte, Vilardi, Wagner
On the Bubble: Amadio, Frk, Moore

The view from my seats: 1-2 d positions are open and 5-6 forward spots (assuming that the rosters are not expanded)

Anderson-Dolan, Byfield, Fagemo, Kaliyev, Madden, Thomas, and Turcotte would have to be the favorites to make the jump

Token

May 15, 2019
If training camp starts in mid-December, then how does that impact the young guys playing in the World Juniors? The latter won't end until January 5th. So while those guys will be playing and in shape, they won't be with the Kings early on and thus it seems would hamper their small chances to make the team.
If you talking about our dyed in the wool blue-chip talent ... they don’t need no stinking training wheels!

They gonna come in, own the place, dominate the ice, and ask Carter to buy the beers.

Believe!

sorry, need some cheer ... this storm is looking gnarly ...

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
My guess as to what the opening night roster might look like (assuming Carter is healthy):

Iafallo-Kopitar-Brown
Kempe-Byfield-Carter
Frk-Vilardi-Grundstrom
Moore-Lizotte-Wagner

Maatta-Doughty
Anderson-Roy
MacDermid-Walker

Quick-Petersen

Extras: Amadio, Clague, Luff

Guessing Lias Andersson will come over after his season is over in Sweden. Byfield will get his nine game audition and I think he'll stick with the team.

SufferingSelfCreated

Apr 5, 2020
My guess as to what the opening night roster might look like (assuming Carter is healthy):

Iafallo-Kopitar-Brown
Kempe-Byfield-Carter
Frk-Vilardi-Grundstrom
Moore-Lizotte-Wagner

Maatta-Doughty
Anderson-Roy
MacDermid-Walker

Quick-Petersen

Guessing Lias Andersson will come over after his season is over in Sweden. Byfield will get his nine game audition and I think he'll stick with the team.
I would be SHOCKED if Byfield is above Vilardi on opening night. He would have to have a MONSTER camp, considering he doesn't know our system yet. I hope you're right though . Because if you are, oh boy,that means he's a franchise changer.

head eyes

Oct 8, 2015

Iafallo-Kopitar-Brown
Kempe-Byfield-Carter
Frk-Vilardi-Grundstrom
Moore-Lizotte-Wagner

Maatta-Doughty
Anderson-Roy
MacDermid-Walker

Quick-Petersen

I had everything exactly the same but I had Kempe-Vilardi-Frk as line 2, and Grundstrom-Byfield-Carter as line 3.

Reactions: Schrute farms

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I would be SHOCKED if Byfield is above Vilardi on opening night. He would have to have a MONSTER camp, considering he doesn't know our system yet. I hope you're right though . Because if you are, oh boy,that means he's a franchise changer.

I don't think the order of the lines matters much anyhow, I figure Vilardi will get much more ice time and play in more situations. But that's how I envision the lineup configurations with Byfield making the team.

Reactions: BlackMetalED

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I fully expect there to be expanded rosters. With the OHL looking like a complete clown show, the Kings will be forced to keep Byfield and Kaliyev up regardless of their respective camp performances with the expanded rosters making that easier.

What can also make things easier for the prospects is the possibility of vets opting out since the season will most likely be some sort of weird bubble-type situation. Tough to walk away from money though so guys like Carter, Quick and Brown will probably just suck it up and play but you never know.

What we can say with almost 100% certainty is that none of us will be allowed to go to Staples to watch a Kings game next season even if they wind up playing games there. For the 2021-22 season, we will most likely need proof of vaccination to enter the building and it might not be capacity regardless.

I do think that a bubble-ish season favors younger rosters full of dudes that don't care that all they can do is hang out with each other and go on Twitch or whatever the hell these kids do these days. In an irregular season, the Kings have a better chance of making the playoffs than they would if we were doing a normal one.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland

Iafallo-Kopitar-Brown
Kempe-Byfield-Carter
Frk-Vilardi-Grundstrom
Moore-Lizotte-Wagner

Maatta-Doughty
Anderson-Roy
MacDermid-Walker

Quick-Petersen

Bjornfot?

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
I don't think the order of the lines matters much anyhow, I figure Vilardi will get much more ice time and play in more situations. But that's how I envision the lineup configurations with Byfield making the team.
IDK, I could Byfield being on Kopi's wing and benefitting greatly from it.
Byfield-Kopitar-Brown
Iafallo-Vilardi-Frk?

tws38

May 15, 2020
I'm going to post my take but much like everything else there is so much up in the air, it's very difficult.

Iafallo Kopitar Brown
Kempe Vilardi Frk
Grundstrom Byfield Carter
Wagner Lizotte Moore

Bjornfot Doughty
Maata Roy
Anderson Walker
MacDermid

Quick
Petersen

Byfield - OHL body checking and WJC/Training Camp timing will impact his making the team or not. Normal circumstances would probably have him have 9 games and go to the WJC followed by OHL.

Turcotte - Feel like he will be a mid-season call up that ends up sticking to the end of the season. Perhaps Vilardi moves to the RW.

Andersson - Can see him being on the LW for the 3rd line but likely will spend the rest of the year in SHL.

Fagemo - Could see him taking a spot (maybe Frk's) if he is put in a position to score during camp/pre-season.

Kaliyev - See him returning to OHL but maybe stays as extra if the body checking is disallowed.

Amadio/JAD/Dudas/Thomas/Luff - Positions I can see these guys (if the guys above have not already) taking would be Frk/Moore (and if Grundstrom really disappoints).

Clague - I could see a scenario where he swaps in with Bjornfot but perhaps on the 2nd pairing with Maata moving up with Doughty.

This will be interesting and am excited!

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
I'm looking at all these potential line ups and man I'm telling you next years draft is looking real good. We getting another top 5 pick. Maybe top 3 again. :naughty: Future of this organization is going to be insane. Hopefully.

Last edited:
Reactions: Basilisk

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
That's bold move, Cotton.

For the record: I am for any combination of players that makes us competitive again lol.
TcDB9lWPhPbxqJ7_j11Z8nzmQ_5z72w241UM1U_J7fFMU7aod8N3MH6XNSh_PexG-YdkT15kdmxJwwjKHn69qVePoFU30fMEBD-cXVj7szMfFhLmYNJGY1Sf75kYK5P5LKDW-BlXojI4g9h-XAUn_A9Uv0X2Ip9bHU4

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
I'm looking at all these potential line ups and man I'm tell you next years draft is looking real good. We getting another top 5 pick. Maybe top 3 again.

This prediction doesn't make me feel that this team can then be pushing for a playoff spot in 22.

Reactions: ru4reals

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
This prediction doesn't make me feel that this team can then be pushing for a playoff spot in 22.
It's a reasonable that they could but not guaranteed. Covid and the ensuing recession could be huge factors that could hurt other teams much much more than the Kings

I personally think they will do a little better next season.
The Kings were 4th worst in the league and second worst in the conference.
I think they move up a few spots. Probably 7th worst in the league and 4th worst in the conference.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Is there an actual schedule? I can’t wait for kings hockey. Covid sure won’t make it easy on the nhl.

It sounds like they have one of the best plans I can imagine frankly. Sure won't be easy but the theory is solid. Let me see if i can dig up the link real quick (not actual schedule but primer)

Edit:

NHL exploring temporary realignment, short-term hubs for 2020-21

NHL schedule could combine hub format, home arenas in 2020-21

There might be newer info but the idea is hub cities. You may have heard "Canadian division" at one point or another and imo we are headed for that with the border issues. Reduced travel obviously, shortened schedule, 50-60 games it seems the players are targeting. Bettman floated the idea of playing hard for a week or two followed by a week off at home and testing protocols, which sounds like a lot of "mini bubbles".

Last edited:
Reactions: mbar

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Of those three my guesstimate is Byfield gets 10 games and it is 50/50 that he makes the team. I get a sense that LA doesn't want to rush him and they feel they don't need him this year, but he has a lot of capability/potential and not too many #2 picks get sent back for seasoning... It is going to fall on his camp and early season performance, if he looks like he belongs he will stay for sure, but he has to prove himself a little as our organization isn't signaling that they are going to give him a pass on draft status...

Turcotte gets sent down to the AHL for more development and to ramp up, but could be called up to stay later this season.

Bjornfot I feel is a lock as long as he doesn't show any more regression this camp. Doughty likes him, the organization loves him, and he crushed the AHL last year...

Bold Projection: Andersson makes the team.

I feel like really long looks are going to be given to Kaliyev, Kupari, and Fagemo; but all will require more seasoning... In the end, I think people will be disappointed if they expect last season's roster to change dramatically. I expect this year we are going to ice a very similar lineup with maybe a couple of new additions...

Of those three, I think they are looking at Kupari to take the next step. He's made progress but obviously has been stalled and held back a bit, but I get a sense that they really want to get him going asap. He's the only long shot I wouldn't be completely surprised if he made it sooner rather than later.

Last edited:

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
The Kings should send every player possible to the World Juniors. That gives them two waves to see where players should play. Let some of the AHL kids get their shot in training camp, then once the WJC is over, bring those kids over and give them a chance as well. Whoever makes the team makes the team, waivers be damned. The trade market is likely cold as ice and the Kings can certainly risk losing someone like Luff.

Reactions: Token

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
The Kings should send every player possible to the World Juniors. That gives them two waves to see where players should play. Let some of the AHL kids get their shot in training camp, then once the WJC is over, bring those kids over and give them a chance as well. Whoever makes the team makes the team, waivers be damned. The trade market is likely cold as ice and the Kings can certainly risk losing someone like Luff.
I agree re: waivers. In the unlikely event we lose him it’s kinda a so what. He’s never garner any trade value as a guy that can’t make the lineup in a bottom 5 team, if he makes the team on merit then great. It’s now or never, he has some upside so maybe... It’s not poor asset management when the asset in question has no meaningful value, so it’s a risk I’d be happy with for him and Amadio in particular.

Reactions: kilowatt

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
If training camp starts in mid-December, then how does that impact the young guys playing in the World Juniors? The latter won't end until January 5th. So while those guys will be playing and in shape, they won't be with the Kings early on and thus it seems would hamper their small chances to make the team.
All very good questions. The more time passes the more I think there won't be a 2020-21 season

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
It's a tough call. I think Bjornfot will make it, Turcotte will go to the Reign but could be a midseason call-up to permanently be with the team, and Byfield will get his cup of coffee but will be sent back. I am rooting for Byfield to make it, but everyone in Kings' management has signaled that they are leaning towards sending him back unless something miraculous happens.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I think it still comes down to the normal variables; contract and age. They have enough spots open, at least up front, for anyone who wants the spot enough. However, as usual, guys with one way contracts will almost assuredly be on the roster, and playing. You don't give guys a guaranteed $800k to play in the minors. Especially now with the lack of money being made. The cap doesn't matter in that regard, but it's still real money that you're handing out.

Expanded rosters could result in almost anything happening.

Reactions: Lt Dan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad